PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Banks shut down the Moss presser

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a way-out-there hyptohesis to think that Randy Moss will be poison in the Pats.
It's not, but you and Banks aren't hypothesizing any more. Now you and Banks are saying, "See, I told you so," and I can't see what you are basing your act on.

What I'm saying is isn't it fair to expect those covering the team to be skeptical, given what happened in Oakland last year?
No, but can you at least wait until he moons the crowd or something before attacking him as being a cancer?

Last edited:
Banks and others are making a mountain out of a mole hill but I guess we have to expect that. I hope he doesn't talk with the press this year, although I will miss hearing his accent which just cracks me up. :)

Reiss...
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/06/07/moss_well_received_with_a_catch/
Moss has drawn significant attention and his presence helps explain why a whopping 70 media credentials were issued for yesterday's practice, after which Moss was scheduled to speak.

As Moss made his way across the practice field for his interview, heading toward a small orange cone that marked the spot in which he was supposed to stand, media members jockeyed for position, leading with elbows and sticking their recorders and microphones in front of each other. Who knew the most contact on the field would come after practice?

I'm not disagreeing with you. What I'm saying is isn't it fair to expect those covering the team to be skeptical, given what happened in Oakland last year?

However, when you read the article Banks wrote he doesn't come across as incredibly negative or attacking. He even states he think that Moss will do well here, because the Pats will win. Moss himself has said his problems come from losing, so it is hard to criticize Banks for saying he will only be OK as long as the Pats win.

Granted, I'd like to think it all works out just like it did for Dillon. I also like to think the potential reward is worth taking the risk. However, I can't get on anyone for asking him about that risk.

Were it a generic reporter asking the generic question to the generic malcontent for the record, yeah. Don Banks, who knows this team well, and knew the player well at his best because he covered him through those early days, and who went on record on the day the trade was made characterizing it as a perfect match for a player who is at heart a good guy who just wants to win and can't stand losing, is what makes Don guilty of taking to low road and becoming just another national sports reporter pandering for an attention grabbing soundbite in an oversized gallery of like minded nitwits.

Randy's history is just that, well documented. So is that of this HC and team. Had Randy ever been a problem child while employed by an even remotely well run organization, like say TO, the question would have been fairer game. But we all know on some level that that is simply not the case. His triggers seem to be prolonged losing, on and off the field ineptitude in those surrounding him, and his inability to effect his situation positively no matter what he did as a result. Those are my triggers too, quite frankly. I see none of them in the NEP.

Heuschkel...
http://www.courant.com/sports/footb...un07,0,32525.story?coll=hc-headlines-football
Moss clicked with quarterback Tom Brady in 11-on-11 drills Wednesday. The fifth-leading receiver in NFL history, Moss (6 feet 4, 210 pounds) has impressed his new teammates with his work ethic as much as his skill. He made a positive impression by showing up at the voluntary offseason workout program. He said he has always admired Brady and is blessed to be joining new receivers Donte Stallworth, Wes Welker and Kelley Washington.

As many have already stated, Banks must think he's special. Must have been real painful that Randy would deign to not answer his question. Stop the freakin' presses!

It's a no-win question, along the likes of have you stopped beating your wife.

Either Moss says, "Yes, the Pats took a risk," and Banks writes that he is the same old Moss, a risky porposition,

Or he says, ""No, the Pats did not take a risk," and Banks writes that he is the same old Moss, arrogant and boastful,

Or he refuses to answer, and Banks writes that he is the same old Moss.

No matter what Moss said, Banks could have written the article last week.

Exactly what I was trying to say.

The media can, and will, ask whatever questions they feel like asking.

Banks wasn't being particularily aggressive or anything, but the actual question didn't much matter when Banks had already pre-determined the punch line for his article, and it was merely a matter of painting Randy into that box.

Whether Randy fit in the box, or in this case, not.

Farinella...
http://www.thesunchronicle.com/articles/2007/06/07/sports/sports5.txt
You can always tell the athletes at the wide receiver position who are a notch above the rest.

They don't run after the ball; they glide to it. They don't extend to make the big catch; the ball almost appears to come to them. The ball doesn't make a "smack" sound when it hits their hands; in fact, it barely makes a sound at all.

This is the promise of Randy Moss, on display daily at the Gillette Stadium practice complex this week. Maybe not since Stanley Morgan or Irving Fryar have the Patriots had a wide receiver under their employ who makes it look so easy to play the position.

Granted, it's only minicamp. Moss, at times supremely productive and at other times a pain in the butt with both Minnesota and Oakland over nine NFL seasons, has a lot of mileage on him and just as much baggage being towed behind, and he's not running routes with a target painted on his back.

But at least at this stage of his Patriot career - before the pads go on, the hits are delivered in earnest and Tom Brady starts throwing to other receivers - Moss is looking good, and saying and doing the right things in an effort to fit in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes