PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Banks "re-does" the 2008 Draft w/ 20/20 hindsight - Pats pick...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Of course... Mayo... again

SI.com's 2008 Revised NFL Draft - Don Banks - SI.com

He's not quiet as kind in hindsight with the Jets and Dolphins.

I'm having a tough time figuring out where in the first round Banks sees Vernon Gholston and his $32 million contract ($21 of which is guranteed) landing.

I knew he would have the Pats with Mayo again.

This guy must have not had anything to write about this week, so he does this. How does it make sense to do a re-draft of the draft class that hasn't even finished their rookie seasons?

This guy must have not had anything to write about this week, so he does this. How does it make sense to do a re-draft of the draft class that hasn't even finished their rookie seasons?

I don't think anyone, including Banks, takes it too seriously. But it's just fun to speculate about what might have been. And his thoughts about Mayo are dead-on, regardless of the timing of them.

I don't think anyone, including Banks, takes it too seriously. But it's just fun to speculate about what might have been. And his thoughts about Mayo are dead-on, regardless of the timing of them.

For the record, here's the quote:

New England Patriots (Original Pick: Jerod Mayo, LB, Tennessee)
RE-DO PICK: MAYO
We're not here to fix what ain't broken. The Patriots love everything about their rookie inside linebacker, and he has been their most consistent performer at a position decimated by injuries. If it had the chance, New England would make exactly the same selection all over again.

:rocker:

FWIW, he only has three picks going to the team that originally drafted them--Mayo, and Carolina's two picks (Stewart and Otah).

I'm having a tough time figuring out where in the first round Banks sees Vernon Gholston and his $32 million contract ($21 of which is guranteed) landing.

Banks answers:

First-round picks who did not make the cut this time: No. 6 Vernon Gholston, Jets, LB, . . .

:rofl:

SI has done the redo draft for year, even before Banks started to do it. It is one of their yearly features.

I do love how he has Mike Mamula....um.... Vernon Gholston dropping out of the first round. Personally, he doesn't even look like a good late second day pick at this point. With Bryan Thomas playing like crap, it is a testiment to how bad Gholston must be struggling with the 3-4 defense if he still isn't seeing the field all that much and is basically an average special teams player at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes