PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Banks is an Idiot (mistake in Pats article)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You make my point so plainly again for me just now - thank you - the point being (I'll present it again since you couldn't bother, or are incapable of, understanding plain language) is your post amounts to nearly mindless, reflexive, oh-look-how-smart-I-am-because-I-caught-a-national-writer-making-another-of-ten-million-mistakes-woo-woo-lucky-me tedium lacking any meaningful reflection on the work in question.

Next you're going to lie and say you're not a regular listener of one or all of Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, or Fox News, etc.

no offense the the political BS doesn't belong here. There's a political forum for it. And your characterization of FoxNews makes you just as much of an arse as you make leketro out to be.

You make my point so plainly again for me just now - thank you - the point being (I'll present it again since you couldn't bother, or are incapable of, understanding plain language) is your post amounts to nearly mindless, reflexive, oh-look-how-smart-I-am-because-I-caught-a-national-writer-making-another-of-ten-million-mistakes-woo-woo-lucky-me tedium lacking any meaningful reflection on the work in question.

Next you're going to lie and say you're not a regular listener of one or all of Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, or Fox News, etc.

You're right. It was a great piece. What are you, his agent? And that's all it takes for you to resort to personal attacks?

Seek help.

The whole premise of the article is ridiculous. Trying to set out to prove that the Patriots are less than an invincible juggernaut who has all but won already is comical, as anybody who's not a moron already knows that.

Banks is a boring writer who has a hard time coming up with interesting material. This was almost as bad as his numerous calls for other teams to "Sign Scott Pioli!"

You're right. It was a great piece. What are you, his agent? And that's all it takes for you to resort to personal attacks?

Seek help.

why do you bother responding without actually reading the posts? anyway, I'm guilty of dragging out a mindless thread, so I am finished. apologies to all...
:bricks:

Re: Don Banks is an Idiot

Umm...guys, this isn't the 1920's New York Times. No online columnists have "fact-checkers"! (In fact, precious few print publications do either these days. Just this week a newspaper reporter interviewed me, then published an article misquoting me with both my first and last names spelled wrong.)

It's an honest mistake by Banks, and an easy one. BUT, given that it appears to be the basis for his whole argument, he should probably apologize and rewrite. Averaging a 10-pt margin of victory over a 6-game spread is pretty darned dominant by most standards.

EXTRA!! EXTRA!!

reporter.jpg

The whole premise of the article is ridiculous. Trying to set out to prove that the Patriots are less than an invincible juggernaut who has all but won already is comical, as anybody who's not a moron already knows that.

Banks is a boring writer who has a hard time coming up with interesting material. This was almost as bad as his numerous calls for other teams to "Sign Scott Pioli!"

If he disabused us of the notion we are an invincible juggernaut, based on the Philly, Raven and Giant games, he did us a favor.

His point was well taken, his math was wrong.

I think a lot of non-morons disagree with you.:rolleyes:

HOLD THE PRESSES!!!!

It's been changed

"But over the course of their last six games, the Patriots average margin of victory has shrunk to a more modest 10.2 points".

Doesn't change his point much. We do have to step it up.

I'm perfectly happy with the Jets and Dolphins wins, we were in control all the way.

I'm happy as hell we escaped in Philly, Baltimore and NYG and we do have to improve.

Only the large bandwagon contingent thinks the early season pace was sustainable.

I read this thread when it was 3 posts long, and I'm not reading the other 33 posts now, so someone fill me in: Has Don Banks been tarred and feathered yet? When will the lynching take place?

He had the audacity to imply we might have to put forth an effort on the way to our coronation.

And he made a math mistake.

Unforgivable. His trial and execution should be televised, in my opinion.

HOLD THE PRESSES!!!!

It's been changed

"But over the course of their last six games, the Patriots average margin of victory has shrunk to a more modest 10.2 points".

Doesn't change his point much. We do have to step it up.

I'm perfectly happy with the Jets and Dolphins wins, we were in control all the way.

I'm happy as hell we escaped in Philly, Baltimore and NYG and we do have to improve.

Only the large bandwagon contingent thinks the early season pace was sustainable.

The thing is, changing that stat undermines his entire thesis.

The highest Point differentials this year:
Pats 315
Colts 188
Packers 144
boys 130
Chargers 128

Or in terms of points/game
Colts 11.75
Packers 9
boys 8.125
Chargers 8

Yeah the 10.6 points is terrible.

My only problem with the premise of the article is that he mentions "hot" teams like Indianapolis, San Diego, and Jacksonville. If you look at those teams last 6 games, you'll find Indy (2), Jacksonville (3), and San Diego (1) the number of games where those teams got their opponents best effort (i.e. something to play for). I can guarantee you that the Patriots got that effort in every game since we beat Indy. And that has to factor in to any kind of analysis you do on how a team is playing. If the Patriots are averaging a 10.2 ppg margin of victory, while getting their opponents very best effort each time out, that's actually pretty impressive. Basically we've been playing playoff type games for 6 weeks. So when WE turn it on for the playoffs, you'll see the difference.

Re: Don Banks is an Idiot

Umm...guys, this isn't the 1920's New York Times. No online columnists have "fact-checkers"! (In fact, precious few print publications do either these days. Just this week a newspaper reporter interviewed me, then published an article misquoting me with both my first and last names spelled wrong.)

It's an honest mistake by Banks, and an easy one. BUT, given that it appears to be the basis for his whole argument, he should probably apologize and rewrite. Averaging a 10-pt margin of victory over a 6-game spread is pretty darned dominant by most standards.

Great point. But journalism has never really been that good ... especially at the NYT.

Google Walter Duranty ...... NY Times bureau chief in Moscow in the 20's and 30's - who knew about Stalin's murder of 10's of millions of his own people, but instead decided to parrot Stalin's propaganda. And won a Pulitzer for it.

I think that it speaks volumes about the media of today that that Pultizer was never revoked.

So in the big scheme of things, Bank's errors are trivial. But don't expect a correction - that almost never happens.

R

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back