PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Banks - Inside the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're now back....

Last two drives lasted under two minutes each, for Indy. What is your take on that?
Indy's scoring drives:
3:28 90 yds
3:02 80 yds
2:04 79 yds
1:49 79 yds
1:47 29 yds

They are a quick strike offense.

You go back to the first drive of the second half, Brady was eating clock. No big plays until the attempt to hit Moss in the end zone was picked off. Keeping Peyton of the field is one reason, but I think the shortage on the D-Line was hurting the D and BB was trying to protect them as much as possible.

Indy had three 3 and outs in the first half, they punted a grand total of six times - but they did have two scoring drives that went the length of the field.

In the second half the D forced one punt and had two interceptions, but they also gave up three TDs, each in under 2:05 minutes.

What changed? TBC, Ninkovich, otherwise, not much.

How do you overcome that? NE placed the burden on the offense, they started the second half dinking and dunking and running to eat the clock, but they ended up losing the ball control battle to Indy's D. If NE holds onto the ball, Maroney gets a TD, the O scores at least once more. Protect. The. Ball.

If either side of the ball had done just a little better, the game would have been won.

I think the Pats can take a lot of good things away from that game. They were very close to beating the class of the AFC, but were not quite good enough. Every player knows he has to improve.

If either side of the ball had done just a little better, the game would have been won.
Unquestionably, the issue is where were the game changing mistakes - penalties, turnovers, and missed assignments are the big three.

The Pats didn't have too many penalties 4, but for 72 yds meaning Pass Interference.
-- Bodden's was legit = TD.
-- Butler's was questionable (I was watching the game with a Colts backer and he didn't see the penalty) = TD.
-- Koppen's hold did not prevent a first down, that drive netted three points.
-- Bodden's Unsportsmanlike didn't affect the final score because Maroney's fumble did.

Turnovers I've beat to death.

Execution: Other than getting burned by Peyton Manning on some big pass plays, where was the breakdown?

I think the Pats can take a lot of good things away from that game. They were very close to beating the class of the AFC, but were not quite good enough. Every player knows he has to improve.
I agree, lots of good, the lesson is get healthy, stay healthy, minimize penalties, and control the ball. The last will really make the difference when they play again.

Unquestionably, the issue is where were the game changing mistakes - penalties, turnovers, and missed assignments are the big three.

The Pats didn't have too many penalties 4, but for 72 yds meaning Pass Interference.
-- Bodden's was legit = TD.
-- Butler's was questionable (I was watching the game with a Colts backer and he didn't see the penalty) = TD.
-- Koppen's hold did not prevent a first down, that drive netted three points.
-- Bodden's Unsportsmanlike didn't affect the final score because Maroney's fumble did.

Turnovers I've beat to death.

Execution: Other than getting burned by Peyton Manning on some big pass plays, where was the breakdown?

I agree, lots of good, the lesson is get healthy, stay healthy, minimize penalties, and control the ball. The last will really make the difference when they play again.

I think there is a lot to take away from the last two minutes. For instance, why did they not allow addai to score quickly so that they had more time to drive down for a FG? It was maddening that they tackle him short of the goal line.

Those are all scenarios that probably didn't come up in practice (how many scenarios can you work up?). But fortunately this is a young defensive corp and next time they will have the presence of mind to make those slight adjustments to preserve gametime as much as possible.

I missed the Colts first TD and haven't seen replays of it. But on the other 3 TDs the Pats had excellent coverage, and the Colts just made great plays. Manning's throw was on the money, and the receiver made the catch with the DB covering him tightly. Kudos to the Colts for making clutch plays, but the defense was solid.

I think there is a lot to take away from the last two minutes. For instance, why did they not allow addai to score quickly so that they had more time to drive down for a FG? It was maddening that they tackle him short of the goal line.

Those are all scenarios that probably didn't come up in practice (how many scenarios can you work up?). But fortunately this is a young defensive corp and next time they will have the presence of mind to make those slight adjustments to preserve gametime as much as possible.
I thought about that too, but how many times have we seen a defense stuff an offense at the goal line? Forcing a turnover was what the D was playing for, this wasn't a field position situation, it's why the defense gets paid. Once I'd thought it through, playing for the win meant letting the D do their job, not letting Indy walk into the end zone.

I missed the Colts first TD and haven't seen replays of it. But on the other 3 TDs the Pats had excellent coverage, and the Colts just made great plays. Manning's throw was on the money, and the receiver made the catch with the DB covering him tightly. Kudos to the Colts for making clutch plays, but the defense was solid.
If only it had been four TDs. :scream:

I thought about that too, but how many times have we seen a defense stuff an offense at the goal line? Forcing a turnover was what the D was playing for, this wasn't a field position situation, it's why the defense gets paid. Once I'd thought it through, playing for the win meant letting the D do their job, not letting Indy walk into the end zone.

By that logic, shouldn't we have punted and let the D do their job?

By that logic, shouldn't we have punted and let the D do their job?

What has a better chance of happening:

A) Brady and the offense get 2 yards
B) Defense stops Peyton from driving from his 30 to our 30

I think that in the 4th quarter with all the injuries and fatigue, A is pretty much a no brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes