PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Banks from SI: His sources say Belichick will select Darius Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.
"• New England loves UConn cornerback Darius Butler. New England is smoke-screening by letting on that it loves UConn cornerback Darius Butler."

Peter King is really stupid, but that line is still amusing from the buffoon. Now he's saying the Pats are double-faking everyone by leaking Butler, in order to make people think they're not interested?

I have a better shot of figuring out who Tony Almedia is working for than guessing who the Pats are going to pick on Saturday.

michael holley was spot on last yr about mayo . i think him and mayock especially during the draft have the best insights/guesses into what the pats will do.

Why would Belichick intentially let the world know who he wants to draft? How does that help his cause? Does he think that if he leaks who he is intent on drafting that others will not draft that player because they don't want to cross Belichick?

Sorry, but the leaks of the Pats interest in Warren and Mayo were not intential leaks by Belichick. They serve no strategic advantage for them to be leaked. Belichick is far too smart to intentially leak the player he is targetting.

I still think people overrate Belichick's clandenstine ability to keep all information from leaking to the public unless he wants it leaked. I know it got me in a lot of trouble for saying this a few weeks ago, but there are loose lips in the Patriots organization from time to time and information that Belichick doesn't want leaked does get leaked from time to time. He is far better than most if not all of the other head coaches at keeping information under wraps, but he isn't perfect. The Patriots are not some secret society like the Illuminarties or Knights of Templar or FreeMason or Skull and Bones (and even these secret societies have/had some of their secrets leaked).

Well, since we're both speculating about what we don't/can't know, then I guess we're each as right or wrong as the other. This horse is officialy beat dead. :deadhorse:

Personally, I think even if the Pats are high on Butler, they could gamble that he is available at 34 and pass on him with the 23rd pick since he isn't really predicted to go in the first round to anyone other than the Pats. That gamble if they do it may not pay off.

I have seen/heard projections where Butler goes to Miami(25) or others like the Ravens or Steelers.

After Butler there is a significant drop off at the position and with the depth at OLB the better play IMO would be to wait on that position until #34.

I have seen/heard projections where Butler goes to Miami(25) or others like the Ravens or Steelers.

After Butler there is a significant drop off at the position and with the depth at OLB the better play IMO would be to wait on that position until #34.

I'd rather trade up for Malcolm Jenkins than go for Butler, myself. Butler's short shuttle and 3-cone time were very ordinary. But he wouldn't be a bad choice at either 23 or 34. I think he will go #25 to Miami, unless they go LB or WR.

Also from Peter King:
6. I think, as I examine the Jason Peters deal -- first-, fourth- and sixth-round picks, with the first-rounder the 28th pick in Saturday's draft -- I think the Eagles got the major edge. "Other than Anthony Munoz, this is the most devastating blocker and pass-protector I've ever coached,'' said the retired and well-respected former NFL line coach Jim McNally, who mentored Peters from being a college tight end to one of the premier tackles in the game. "He's a terrific player and a good kid. What happened to him in Buffalo, I think, is he saw two linemen come in and make a lot of money [Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker], and he looked at them and said, 'I'm better than they are; why aren't I making that money?' And it really affected him. I think he'll be a dominating player in Philadelphia, and I don't think the money will affect him.'' We'll see.

Signing mediocre guys to big contracts is a sure way to screw up your team.

Randy Moss doesn't resign for $9 million if Deion Branch is making $8 million on the opposite side.

If this rumor is true...
Butler, Barwin, Gilbert, Wood/Chung. I could live with a draft like that.
Butler is probably getting serious consideration because he is talented but I'm not sure that CB is a 1st round need for us considering the free agents we added to the position.

Last edited:
I'm not a huge fan of this pick but here's what Banks had to say just days before last year's draft...

“A guy that I have in the top 10, and it’s not terribly widespread, is Jerod Mayo, the inside linebacker from Tennessee. I have him going to New England at 10 because I have the Saints coming up from 10 to 7 on my board to get Sedrick Ellis. Everybody knows the Patriots wouldn’t mind getting out of the seventh spot if certain players are gone. I’ve been told they like Mayo more than Rivers, which is one reason Rivers has fallen a bit on my board. “My thinking is New England believes Mayo is really experienced at the inside linebacker position. He’s played in the middle and they think he’ll make a good inside linebacker. That will allow them to move Adalius Thomas back outside where his playmaking ability seems to be higher.”

So maybe he does have sources that know what they're talking about...

There will be all kinds of smoke screens this week an dfakes...all the time..misinformation will be key to it all...

If this rumor is true...
Butler, Barwin, Gilbert, Wood/Chung. I could live with a draft like that.
Butler is probably getting serious consideration because he is talented but I'm not sure that CB is a 1st round need for us considering the free agents we added to the position.

I could live with it too. Substitute Malcolm Jenkins for Butler and I would celebrate for it. Of Wood/Chung, I would prefer Wood with a trade up in the 3rd for Chip Vaughn at SS.

Malcolm Jenkins, CB/S
Connor Barwin, OLB
Jarren Gilbert, DE
Eric Wood, OG/C
Chip Vaughn, SS

That would be a very nice haul.

Why? The Pats' first pick of the draft has been leaked twice in the last six years. In 2003, Michael Felger reported the Thursday before the draft that his sources say that the Pats loved Ty Warren and that they would take him with one of their first two rounders. Last year, Michael Holley spoke how the Pats loved Mayo and that he "predicted" that the Pats would not only draft him, but trade down to the 10-15 range to get him. Granted he didn't admit outright that he had inside sources, but he definitely alluded to it.

Banks could be wrong. The Pats have leaked incorrect information in the past. But Banks may actually have a legitimate source within the Patriots who may have legitimately given out sensitive draft information. It wouldn't be the first time it happened.

It's my opinion that no matter what people write, no one has any inside info on what Bill and the boyz will do draft day.

I could be wrong. But so far it seems that the Patriots have been linked to about 6-8 draft picks, so I'm sure someone will be right.

I'm hoping for English - of course I wanted Gholston last year. :confused:

You know better than to think that we are getting Wood at 58. We may need to trade up to 31 if we want him.

I could live with it too. Substitute Malcolm Jenkins for Butler and I would celebrate for it. Of Wood/Chung, I would prefer Wood with a trade up in the 3rd for Chip Vaughn at SS.

Malcolm Jenkins, CB/S
Connor Barwin, OLB
Jarren Gilbert, DE
Eric Wood, OG/C
Chip Vaughn, SS

That would be a very nice haul.

It's my opinion that no matter what people write, no one has any inside info on what Bill and the boyz will do draft day.

I could be wrong. But so far it seems that the Patriots have been linked to about 6-8 draft picks, so I'm sure someone will be right.

I'm hoping for English - of course I wanted Gholston last year. :confused:

You can tell the difference between the people who have hunches and people who seem to have real inside information. In 2003, Felger clearly had inside information and stated as such. Both Banks and Michael Holley said the same exactly thing about Mayo (the Pats being high on him and intended to trade down to get him) and were right. Those seem more than just hunches since the Pats not only drafted Mayo, but traded down to do so. The Patriots' actions in both cases seem to confirm that the writer had real information.

The Patriots are not some secret society like the Illuminarties or Knights of Templar or FreeMason or Skull and Bones (and even these secret societies have/had some of their secrets leaked).

For the most part, they're public about their agenda now...:rolleyes:

michael holley was spot on last yr about mayo . i think him and mayock especially during the draft have the best insights/guesses into what the pats will do.

Where can you find Holley's final mock draft?

It is a little early for inside information. Also, it is much easier to have a firm plan for the #7 pick than for 23. There are many fewer variables. For example, the rumors of KC wanting to draft Jackson could be firmed up, or Cleveland loving Crabtree, or the raiders wanting Maclin.

You can tell the difference between the people who have hunches and people who seem to have real inside information. In 2003, Felger clearly had inside information and stated as such. Both Banks and Michael Holley said the same exactly thing about Mayo (the Pats being high on him and intended to trade down to get him) and were right. Those seem more than just hunches since the Pats not only drafted Mayo, but traded down to do so. The Patriots' actions in both cases seem to confirm that the writer had real information.

What has been failed to mention so far is that none other than HOFer Deion Sanders worked out with this kid in a training course earlier this year - Why that does not mean he will be anything like Deion,its interesting to see Sanders taking a guy under his wing which obviously speakes out that Sanders thinks the kid has got 'IT' or he would not waste time.

Both Banks and Michael Holley said the same exactly thing about Mayo (the Pats being high on him and intended to trade down to get him) and were right. Those seem more than just hunches since the Pats not only drafted Mayo, but traded down to do so. The Patriots' actions in both cases seem to confirm that the writer had real information.

And strangely, Holley is generally given the credit for this when he reported the exact same thing as Banks a day later. It was Banks' scoop.

Butler is a classic Pats-style CB: a healthy Wheatley, a more athletic Samuel. It's certainly plausible.

For the most part, they're public about their agenda now...:rolleyes:

The Pats try to guard what information gets out there, but they are not Langley. Belichick doesn't monitor his people 24/7. People aren't murdered if they divulge information.

Why is it that people get upset that I point out the fact that the Patriots do not plug every leak of information? They are a football team, not the CIA. If organizations that spend millions of dollars a year to keep their secrets hidden have leaks, why is it such a sacrilidge to think the Pats have a leak or two every once and a while. It is stupid to think otherwise.

Fact of the matter is that reports do get inside information from the Pats and not just stuff that Belichick determines he wants leaked. It isn't nearly as bad as some other teams, but many people in the Pats organization have relationships with the media in this town and nationally and information slips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back