PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Banks: Could another run at perfection loom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? In the last 35 years 35 teams have won the Superbowl. In the last 35 years only one team has gone undefeated in the regular season, and only one team has ever gone 16-0. Which is the harder feat?

As much as the loss hurts I think there is a lot to pride ourselves on about this team. When they win their next Superbowl which I believe they will, the pain of this loss will be erased and the significance of what they achieved in this regular season will be placed in perspective and truly appreciated.

I agree with the original posters sentiment. For me, a Super Bowl victory to add to this team's legacy is more important than one great season.

In other words, I'd rather have 5 Super Bowl victories than 4 Super Bowl victories which include a 19-0 season.

I have convinced myself that all the pressure of the season lead to the Patriots doom. If grounded players like the Patriots can let this go to their heads, then no one can withstand the scrutiny.

I dont know how they say our schedule is easy, 4 trips to the west coast... ??? That is a lot of travel time..

I dont know how they say our schedule is easy, 4 trips to the west coast... ??? That is a lot of travel time..

Agree. The west coast trips are gonna kill them. The home schedule is pretty weak, but the travel is going to be difficult...

I have convinced myself that all the pressure of the season lead to the Patriots doom. If grounded players like the Patriots can let this go to their heads, then no one can withstand the scrutiny.

I didn't think it was possible, but when I started hearing "biggest game of our lives" and "date with history" in the 2 weeks before Sunday, I was worried. I never heard comments like this in 2001, 2003, 2004.

Better off had we lost to the Ravens or Eagles, I guess, and maintained the one series, one quarter, one half, and AT MOST one game at a time focus that served us so well, instead of "playing a game for the ages".

I don't thing we were afraid or overwhelmed or anything, just a tiny bit too tight, perhaps distracted by the enormity of the feat, rather than business as usual. Don't get me wrong, the Giants outplayed us with their front 7 and deserved to win, but I think at least some of the problem was pressure of expectations.

But maybe they realize that now too and are will be better equipped should we be 18-0 next year.

If any coach and any group of players can be focused enough to not let 'perfect record pressure" get to them, it's this one.

Last edited:
I don't think I could stand it. :eek:

I still can't accept we lost that game. I just can't. 18-0 beats 13-6. WTF. I want to puke. We would have to be EXTREMELY lucky to be 16-0 next season as we would need to win those 1-2 "No 'effing way" games. Make the pain stop.

I dont care what their schedule looks like this is the NFL and going undefeated in near impossible. The Pats were a great team that had luck on their side thats how they go to 18-0. At some point in a 16 game season in the NFL a team is bound to throw in some clunkers and the Pats did that but they were so great and so lucky a few times they managed to escape with a W. What are the odds that will happen again?

Last edited:
I'd go through this season all over again in a heart beat. It was a magical season, but the clock struck 12 just a minute too soon. When it comes down to it, if we are fortunate and good enough to go 16-0 again, we should. There is no reason to throw away a game just because you are afraid of the pressure. You play to win the game.

I think the key is that they now have the experience of dealing with an 18-0 season, and they have experience with their explosive offense. I'm hoping if we are in a situation to go into the playoffs 16-0 again, the experience will make the difference.

Out of all the posts in all of the threads that touch on this subject, this is apparently the only guy who's talking sense.

Early on in the season past it was reported that the Pats, to a man, had decided that they wanted to be known as the greatest team ever. The had (have!) very high expectations. I don't think that's disappeared with the tough loss experienced Sunday.

These guys were 1 play from winning that game (Manning's Houdini act that resulted in the spectacular Tyree catch), and a 19-0 record, and guess what? We're not having this conversation.

They'll be back. A few changes will be made in the off season. And most importantly, they will have the ultimate motivator for each game in the long season, one that will never go stale, one that will never go away, and that's the memory they experienced with this loss.

16-0? 19-0? I duuno. But I will tell you that next season we will most definitely see a Patriots team that is very motivated, hungry, very experienced, and most assuredly wants to win every game they can!

They are not simply professionals - they are consummate professionals!

Already I find myself looking forward to the upcoming season!

So should you!

I'm ready for 37-1, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Despite my thinking that the team can learn from the pressure they faced this year, I think if they (miraculously) made it to the same position next year, the media onslaught, hype and pressure would be even worse than it was this year by what I would estimate to be a significant margin.

When you fail first time, you keep trying until you succeeed.

I think 19-0 and the constant barrage of media was part of the problem. It's February 4th and he is already starting with this crap again? Ugh.

On the other hand...SF and Oakland are jokes. SD is a tough game, and Seattle is a hard place to play (the team is kind of sucky, though). But if they win those...hmmm. It's not like they HAVEN'T gone 18-0 before...maybe.

Completely agree.. Would settle for 12 - 4 and a SB next year...

O8 is going to be a tough year because a lot of teams are going to be HEALTHY.

We will see how it goes with this pats team.

The travel back and forth across the country will get them if nothing else does. Let Indianapolis and the NYG both finish the season 16-0 next year. Then have the Patriots pork Indianapolis in the AFCCG and the NYG in the SB. Stick it to both the Manning brothers in the same season. That is my fantasy. Maybe Mercury Morris will appreciate the Patriots then.

man i sure hope so....b/c ONLY a 19-0 will erase this crap from my mind and heart....

and yea, talk about it....i want perfection next year

Lets be honest...Say the pats do go 19-0 next year do you honestly believe that in your mind you still won't be thinking man if they would have done it last year thats two perfect seasons in a row. This will be burned into all our memories for as long as we love the pats. 2,3,or 4 more rings aint going to take this one away. Maybe make it a little easier but its not going away.

Last edited:
Lets be honest...Say the pats do go 19-0 next year do you honestly believe that in your mind you still won't be thinking man if they would have done it last year thats two perfect seasons in a row. This will be burned into all our memories for as long as we love the pats. 2,3,or 4 more rings aint going to take this one away. Maybe make it a little easier but its not going away.

if Pats goes 19-0 next year, Pats is the GREATEST team in NFL history. There will be NO argument about who is the greatest any more.

It's a convincing argument, isn't it.?

if Pats goes 19-0 next year, Pats is the GREATEST team in NFL history. There will be NO argument about who is the greatest any more.

It's a convincing argument, isn't it.?

Who needs to be convinced. All i am saying is it still is going to burn.

Christ, guys. This "greatest all time" crap has to stop too. First of all it's dumb comparing across eras. Secondly we need more to stake that claim. Thirdly, this season was a "perfect storm"... all the pressures just fueled the winning streak, and all sorts of things broke our way on the field as well. Plus we stayed pretty healthy. Wait a few games into the season before you talk about 19-0, just worry about making it to the show. For that matter, worry about the division. Teams DO end up sliding to 8-8 you know.

We're lucky and we're spoiled, but you can also forget erasing this loss or making up for it.

It was a special season, and a special kind of hell to lose it at the end. But it didn't just become the "new level we should expect..." It was one insane season. We may or may not ever get close again.

I think of it as a lot like 2004 for the Colts. Lots of records, lots of undefeated talk... and then a big fat nothing at the end. Sure we went further, but we didn't get the prize.

I don't know what Arlen Sphincter will get out of his little witch-hunt, but that's not going away. I doubt it will come to much. We'll be the team everybody hates for a long time, it seems, but hopefully it will calm down by next year's kickoff.

Screw it. Combines, end of February. Watch college kids jump at pieces of lego or whatever the hell it is. Good times. Be there.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back