PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Banks: Could another run at perfection loom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about that. The Giants seemed to thrive on the confidence in being able to play with the Pats, can you imagine the confidence they might have had if they were able to beat us?

If anything, BB simply underestimated the front seven of the Giant's. Really, the fact that Brady got hit a lot in week 17 should have been enough to realize that.

I think I've had enough of this perfection stuff.

In fact, thinking of doing this season all over again makes me want to stick a fork in my eye at the moment. I'm sorry, but it wasn't fun towards the end. Winning just provided relief not euphoria. It wasn't like the other SB runs. But I think the Spygate garbage had a lot to do with it, too.

That is so true. The players almost all echoed today that they still enjoyed the journey (that every season entails). It was clear early on that the fan base, expectations being what they were, didn't. Too many confused undefeated with perfect and developed armchair issues almost daily. Others got so caught up in the FU mentality they created that suddenly nothing short of mass annhilation was enough.

Over the course of a 20 week season we lost 1 game. Best W-L record in football this season. Just unfortunate that the one loss came in the worst week possible.

I'm ready to gear up for another pursuit of perfection.

Over the course of a 20 week season we lost 1 game. Best W-L record in football this season. Just unfortunate that the one loss came in the worst week possible.
Knowing the outcome of the Super Bowl, I wish the Patriots actually lost that game to the Ravens. It would be far less painful now.

Lets just hope we dont have a post SB loss letdown season like the last, Chicago, Seattle, Philadelphia, Carolina, Oakland, St. Louis, N.Y. Giants, Tennessee, Atlanta, Green Bay, and then it was us, New England. It took us 5 years to get back in the show. I'm not thinking perfection, I just want to be relevent.

Chicago shouldn't have been there, Seattle was a weak team, Philly had the T.O. thing and Donovan getting hurt, the Giants in 2000 should have lost to the Vikings, but if memory serves correct they were stealing signals or radio frequencies or something. Oh, and Atlanta was another team that had no buisness being on the same field. Plus Jamal Anderson tore his ACL week 2 the next season.

I agree with the relevence thing. I think we'll be ok. If this can't focus people, nothing will adn the team should be blown up.

I know, Satch, but it's early. Talk to me in September, I'll probably feel differently. But right now reading your signature line hurts. Because I have watched that exact moment at least a 200 times on my TIVO. And today I deleted the game because I will never watch it again.

I feel you, I feel like someone stole my soul and I know it will hurt for a long time. The key is that the only reason you are ever hurt, in any sense, is because you had something great, something you loved and enjoyed, and it ended/died, in this case, no SB. I wouldn't trade the past 4 months for anything (other than a SB win of course).

Lets just hope we dont have a post SB loss letdown season like the last, Chicago, Seattle, Philadelphia, Carolina, Oakland, St. Louis, N.Y. Giants, Tennessee, Atlanta, Green Bay, and then it was us, New England. It took us 5 years to get back in the show. I'm not thinking perfection, I just want to be relevent.
Let's see .... the AFC East consists of the Jets, Bills, Dolphins, and of course the Patriots. Barring an injury to Tom Brady, that is six guaranteed wins next season.

I'll go ahead and predict we won't go 16-0, so no worries.

Just get in the playoffs, hopefully with a bye and a home game. Keep it (semi) simple.

Oh God, make it stop. I've had enough "perfection" for a while.

Me too. I've never in my life "wished" for a Patriot, and I won't start now. But if we drop one early next year, it won't kill me. ;)

I hope not. I was one of the people saying it was stupid to wish this team to lose. But now, honestly, I think this team would've been better off had they lost to the Giants in week 17. Their wouldn't have been any overconfidence,a nd the pressure of the world would've been off their shoulders.

I mean, its great had they gone 19-0; but I think we would've had a better chance to beat them if we didn't have the same situation the 2001 rams had (in none of our previous superbowls, did the team take anything for granted). Whereas this time, they started talking about what 19-0 would be during the week (similar to how 2001 Warner started looking past that superbowl and onto his legacy...and look how that turned out...he's now just a blip in time).

I'd say the Ravens. My guess is had we been 14-1. the Giants would of rested, or at least not have been able to use that game as a springboard into the Playoffs.

I beleive the burden that the players ended up having to carry eventually took a huge toll on them.

Just stop this crap. Please.

Those who say they won't feel good unless the Pats go perfect: you are wrong. I guarantee you will feel good with another ring, even if they only get in via the wildcard slot.

I think we all agree we will feel great, but it still won't make up for the depression of 18-1 with no ring.

Heck, if they make another run for perfection, it won't bother me one bit. I'm already psyched for the draft and I want to see what BB and Pioli will do to improve this team. I think the guys in the locker room are tough enough and smart enough to pick themselves up from this and it should be interesting to see how they respond. Remember this, the '72 fins lost in the previous SB and that only fueled their bid for perfection, maybe the Pats can do the same.

I don't want to hear about "perfection" any more. Its to stressfull and time consuming. I want the Pats to just be like their old selves go 13-3 and win the SB.

i would love another run at perfection and i hope it kills mercury morris and don shula and the rest of the '72 dolphins.

I hated that word "perfection"...I never heard that in 72...and hearing it now is just silly...so whoever started using that..needs to GO AWAY....Not you....but..It was always "undefeated"...and that IS more of a correct a word to use. The other is laughable in so many ways. But...I agree..NO!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm ready to gear up for another pursuit of perfection.

I've been ready since Burress was wide open in the end zone.

Do it again. Show up those *****es.

Knowing the outcome of the Super Bowl, I wish the Patriots actually lost that game to the Ravens. It would be far less painful now.

Why? In the last 35 years 35 teams have won the Superbowl. In the last 35 years only one team has gone undefeated in the regular season, and only one team has ever gone 16-0. Which is the harder feat?

As much as the loss hurts I think there is a lot to pride ourselves on about this team. When they win their next Superbowl which I believe they will, the pain of this loss will be erased and the significance of what they achieved in this regular season will be placed in perspective and truly appreciated.

Just the thought of having to do this all over again listening to Shula and Mercury Morris rap....Dear God Help us!!! if it happens, it happens, but i think i would be just fine going into the playoffs with a 14-2 record, first week bye and 2 home playoff games to the big dance.

My feelings. I'm sure the players will want redemption in the form of a title, the pursuit of perfection turned out to be a nuisance.

But we're not getting any worse next season, so, anything's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes