PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Banks - Breaking the rules: NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

37Harrison

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Sorry for the 1,943 thread about this (and especially sorry if this has already been posted) but here is an article from Don Banks which he wrote on July 27, 2007. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/07/06/cheating.nfl/index.html

Excerpt:
"That type of sign-stealing goes on a ton in the league,'' said one NFL source who was both a former coach and player in the league.

It continues with the different kinds of cheating like "de-briefing the former enemy", something Mangini does with EVERY player we release (I know BB does this as well). Mangini is a hypocrite and will get his, some day.

Last edited:
Is the point that because everyone does it, then it's okay?

I whole heartedly believe that this is no big deal BUT there is a rule against it and BB got caught.

I whole heartedly believe that this is no big deal BUT there is a rule against it and BB got caught.

There's not a rule against sign-stealing.

It's a good article..and you know what?? After the Pats and BB gets penalized, I am sure a LOT will come out..and it will ALL be in Goodell's hands.

I agree...For me, the big thing is "Why". Was it really necessary to do this with the Jets? I could see, but not agree, if it were the Superbowl and you were like 21 point under dogs. But when you are a road team favored by 6.5 pts why bother. The risk to reward is out of wack.

No, but there is a rule against using video equipment to steal said signs.

As far as I know, there's not even a rule against that. Just a rule about not having cameras on the sidelines.

As far as I know, there's not even a rule against that. Just a rule about not having cameras on the sidelines.

Okay, now you're just nit-picking :)

Whatever the rule states, it appears that the Pats violated it, agreed?

Okay, now you're just nit-picking :)

Whatever the rule states, it appears that the Pats violated it, agreed?

But it's not nitpicking. Everyone is up in arms over the stealing of signs, but it's not even against the rules. Just having a camera down on the sidelines, for any purpose, is what's against the rules. That's on par with a uniform violation or turning the heat off in the visitors locker room. That's what makes this whole thing ridiculous.

But it's not nitpicking. Everyone is up in arms over the stealing of signs, but it's not even against the rules. Just having a camera down on the sidelines, for any purpose, is what's against the rules. That's on par with a uniform violation or turning the heat off in the visitors locker room. That's what makes this whole thing ridiculous.

Right on. Everyone yelling "Cheaters!" is what's really chapping my ass, not the fact that the Pats might lose a pick for knowingly violating a rule.

No, I am not condoning what was done only stating that everyone that is ripping the Pats for this should really look in the mirror first, starting with Mangini.

This is really turning into something other than what it is. This is an opportunity for all of the haters to get their shot in trying to bring down this dynasty. It is an opportunity for people to explain how the Pats have been so successful when there are so many people that try to emulate the Pats success without success of their own.

Sorry but if this were the Cardinals, Browns, Texans... people wouldn't care at all. My problem with this is that even IF they have the other teams signals, the players still have to have the ability to execute, hence why no one would care if the doormats of the league were found guilty of this.

He's right. That last ESPN article makes it clear that using coaches tape, network broadcast or any other audiovisual aid you can get your hands on is fair play to extract information. You just can't make your own tape. Maybe that is what provoked Bellichick, the blatant hypocricy of the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing