PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Banks 4.0 Mock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what it means is that 25 and downwards, it is questionable whether the player is really worth a 1st round pick. That's why I expect the Pats to trade down out of #28.

I have a hard time thinking that anyone is going to draft Watkins before the late second/third round. The guy is 27 years old (Mankins who was considered "old" at 24 when he came out of college is 29 now.) I highly doubt anyone is going to use a first round pick on a guy that old, he is just not that much better, than the guys sho are 5-7 years younger than him, and in football age, that is an enternity.

I have a hard time thinking that anyone is going to draft Watkins before the late second/third round. The guy is 27 years old (Mankins who was considered "old" at 24 when he came out of college is 29 now.) I highly doubt anyone is going to use a first round pick on a guy that old, he is just not that much better, than the guys sho are 5-7 years younger than him, and in football age, that is an enternity.

I agree.. But this has the makings of the WTF pick from the Pats and turns out to be gold..

I think what it means is that 25 and downwards, it is questionable whether the player is really worth a 1st round pick. That's why I expect the Pats to trade down out of #28.

That was the spin I was suggesting.

How much does he have in the tank? My guess is is PLENTY.

If the guy's a stud who can help us win NOW and also keep TFB on his feet for the next several years I'd be happy to grab him with #33.

Wow, Andy Dalton in the 1st round.

As for Watkins, his age doesn't concern me. His rookie contract will be for 4, maybe 5 years. If he's able to play at a high level for those years, he's well worth the 1st or late 2nd. The age means we might not be able to sign him to a 3rd long-term deal, but that's hardly a reason to pass on the guy.

2011 NFL Mock Draft has Tyron Smith going ninth to Cowboys - Don Banks - SI.com

He has the DE run starting with Watt to the Pats at 17, so that's cool.

What's striking is how his comments from #25 onward boil down to "Well, this pick MIGHT work out -- and, after all, SOMEBODY has to get drafted in this slot ..."

So, he's basically admitting that he, like most "analysts", just gets blind drunk and hurls darts at the board in a darkened basement somewhere?

It's funny 'cause it's true!!
jester.gif

watkins and his age work both ways though I would have a hard time taking him over sherrod.

the way this draft works out, the bengals would be looking for jake locker at the top of round 2.......either the pats hold him hostage, or the pats take locker as the heir apparent. brady's getting a little brittle, and what's on the bench needs to improve

the way this draft works out, the bengals would be looking for jake locker at the top of round 2.......either the pats hold him hostage, or the pats take locker as the heir apparent. brady's getting a little brittle, and what's on the bench needs to improve

Just say no to Jake Locker. The guy has bust written all over him. Terrible accuracy under pressure. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. That leads to interceptions in the NFL. Let the Bengals draft him. They have a history of drafting busts that I want the Patriots to take no part in.

Last edited:
Just say no to Jake Locker. The guy has bust written all over him. Terrible accuracy under pressure. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. That leads to interceptions in the NFL. Let the Bengals draft him. They have a history of drafting busts that I want the Patriots to take no part in.

I agree with that wholeheartedly. Jake Locker in no way, shape, or form improves our backup QB situation, and in fact, nobody in this draft likely will. I don't care that a QB completes 48 of 50 passes on his Pro Day, playing catch with his WR on a clean field. If you can't do it while the WR is being covered, and you can't do it while facing a pass rush, you're pretty close to useless. The tape says he has zero consistency in live situations. He's a late Day 3 prospect to me. Fortunately for the team I root for, it seems every team that doesn't have an elite QB wants one so badly they blind themselves to reality. He'll probably go in the 25-40 range, and I weep for that fanbase...unless its an AFC East team, Steelers, Colts, Ravens, or Chargers.

Last edited:

I agree. Kazur was older than Mankins, but he was a 3rd.

If the mocks I am seeing are correct in the run of players between 15-30 then I think the best option for the Patriots would be to drop down from #17 to the low 20's and then take the pick obtained to move up from # 28 to the low 20's so they essentially take 2 players within a few picks in the early 20's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes