PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a cheap copout. later, loser.

If all you can do is hail insults and berate me about how a couple of busts from the draft are proof enough that draft picks are worthless, then we have nothing to talk about.

When you grow up enough to have big boy conversations I'll be here waiting.

We need to draft DBs. BB should stop getting cute when it comes to DBs and just draft sure picks instead of boom busters that always bust

Drafting is not as exact of a science as you are implying here. Laron Landry was picked ahead of Revis. In hindsight (with the benefit of 5+ years of data), it's easy to say that the Redskins messed up. There's a lot of uncertainty involved. I am not sure there is any such thing as a "sure pick".

Last edited:
Whatever happened to the talents of Nhamdi Asomugha?.....seems ever since he left Oakland for Philly he has been nothing special,at one time he was to the corner spot position what Revis is now,dominant and shut down.

He got old really fast.

He got old really fast.

Yeah, I saw a highlight last week where he looked like one our DB's. Not exactly a shutdown corner at this point...

Last edited:
If all you can do is hail insults and berate me about how a couple of busts from the draft are proof enough that draft picks are worthless, then we have nothing to talk about.

When you grow up enough to have big boy conversations I'll be here waiting.

Just ignore him. I thought his username had to do with TFB, but I was wrong. 12 is his age :bricks:

Hes 31 and no longer a shut down corner. Even Charles Woodson and Champ Bailey aren't what they used to be- but pretty damn good. Rod Woodson went through a similar transition. Not as much press/MtM and more zone double-team work extended their careers.

It seems like Woodson has been playing on smarts and experience for the last couple of years and the dude is still a dangerous playmaker. Champ might have lost a step but he is still a damn good athlete.

Respect to those guys.

Asomugha is a guy who the Eagles are going to have to unload. I'm not saying the Pats would want him, but his cap number is ridiculous, they're losing, and he did not live up to his contract. That team is about to get blown up.

The Raiders also played a lot of press man, and the Eagles are all over the place. Asomugha was a perfect fit physically and mentally for the Raiders. Even when he was with the Raiders, we had no problem going at him with Matt Cassel.

Whatever happened to the talents of Nhamdi Asomugha?.....seems ever since he left Oakland for Philly he has been nothing special,at one time he was to the corner spot position what Revis is now,dominant and shut down.

He lost a step.

As for the services of DRC, why wouldn't the Pats just wait until he's a free agent? Both he and Ed Reed are due to be free agents this summer. Throw a couple of contracts at them and see if they bite, then draft a safety for the future in the draft.

Because they need help this year?

The biggest problem lies in the safety position. In other words, this team could use more than just a good cover corner.

The biggest problem lies in the safety position. In other words, this team could use more than just a good cover corner.

With adding a solid cover corner it would allow DMC to move permanently to FS which makes the secondary significantly better imo.

With adding a solid cover corner it would allow DMC to move permanently to FS which makes the secondary significantly better imo.

No doubt he would. But what would be the point of having to franchise him in the offseason to keep him? He's going to become a UFA anyway, and we got through with a pass defense worse than this last year. I just don't see the need to give up the high pick it would take to get him right now when we would just need to re-sign him in the offseason. There are other options out there that could possibly be up for trade bait.

Last edited:

Also if we can find someone to provide a consistent inside pass rush like say Myron Pryor...we could move Cunningham back to the outside where he would be a great compliment to Chandler Jones...no knock on Nicko. As we have seen with Giants in the SB the almost perfect season. You don't have to have outstanding CB's if your Front 7 can get there. Our Front 7 is close but we just need that other consistent rusher to fear in opposing QB's.

We need to draft DBs. BB should stop getting cute when it comes to DBs and just draft sure picks instead of boom busters that always bust

:confused: "Sure picks" at DB? Find me one they've passed on. Those super-rare "sure things" are generally long gone by the time the Pats pick...EVERY team is desperate for stud DBs. (And btw, Rodgers-Cromartie, a freak athlete coming out of the 1AA Ohio Valley Conference, was the very definition of a boom-or-bust prospect.)

Which brings us to...

The most amazing thing about this thread is that The Riddler hasn't chimed in yet; DRC was his binky around draft time 3+ years ago and again when the Eagles traded for him. He was right all along; wise man, that Riddler.

You think he was right to berate the Pats for choosing Jerod Mayo instead? Would you really trade Mayo for DRC?

No doubt he would. But what would be the point of having to franchise him in the offseason to keep him? He's going to become a UFA anyway, and we got through with a pass defense worse than this last year. I just don't see the need to give up the high pick it would take to get him right now when we would just need to re-sign him in the offseason. There are other options out there that could possibly be up for trade bait.

Hope we go and trade for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie even if it is 3rd round pick. But we all know it won't happen.

If we have to face QB like Manning or even Joe Flacco, we will have a very very tough time in playoffs. I don't get it. Why doesn't BB address this? Every year, we suck and keep sucking in the secondary. No one is worried about our secondary. They know that even 14-21 point lead can be easily blown by us.

Beware of shiny beads....

Also if we can find someone to provide a consistent inside pass rush like say Myron Pryor...we could move Cunningham back to the outside where he would be a great compliment to Chandler Jones...no knock on Nicko. As we have seen with Giants in the SB the almost perfect season. You don't have to have outstanding CB's if your Front 7 can get there. Our Front 7 is close but we just need that other consistent rusher to fear in opposing QB's.

I get your point as well as Kontra's. My problem is with sitting pat and finishing second or worse. I've felt since preseason this is the best Pats team in years. We are showing one weakness the ability to pressure the QB. Two ways of slowing the opposing passing game, you either have a pass rush or you can cover. Improved secondary play allows you to be more aggressive and exotic with pressures. Better cover skills allows you to rush less people. I dont care which one but I hope they make a move to improve one or both. Draft picks are very important, but the right player could equal another Lombardi!!

I don't get it. Why doesn't BB address this?

The results haven't been pretty, no question. But of course BB has "addressed this." He keeps drafting and signing DBs at a furious rate. Check it out: the Patriots have drafted at least one defensive back in the top 2 rounds for the past SIX YEARS IN A ROW.

The problem isn't that they're ignoring the position, it's that their efforts aren't working. Which is a problem of talent evaluation. On the other hand, the DBs selected after them haven't looked much better.

There is a huge dearth of young DB talent in the league. If you look at last year's Pro Bowl roster, the average age of the 16 DBs is over 30...and there's not a single player you can really accuse the Pats of "missing on" over the past half-dozen years.

:confused: "Sure picks" at DB? Find me one they've passed on. Those super-rare "sure things" are generally long gone by the time the Pats pick...EVERY team is desperate for stud DBs. (And btw, Rodgers-Cromartie, a freak athlete coming out of the 1AA Ohio Valley Conference, was the very definition of a boom-or-bust prospect.)

As my signature says, I'm one that trusts Belichick. There must be soooo many layers to why he drafts one player over another, that it would be pointless to even start making a list.

That said, of course he's made mistakes, but in fact, I believe he's had as much success or more than any other team.

And the reason I quoted you was that you made a point that I've long tried making to my friends.

The Patriots year after year, draft at the very bottom of every round. Our 1st round picks become effectively 2nd round picks, our 2nd round picks become 3rds due to how low in the draft they come.

In effect, its not too much of an exaggeration IMO to state that we virtually lose a 1st round pick every year because we consistently make it to the Superbowl or deep into the playoffs.

Drafting is not as exact of a science as you are implying here. Laron Landry was picked ahead of Revis. In hindsight (with the benefit of 5+ years of data), it's easy to say that the Redskins messed up. There's a lot of uncertainty involved. I am not sure there is any such thing as a "sure pick".

There's still the sense that going for high floor type guys with your picks might be a better choice than "he's got first round talent he's just injured/special Teamer in college (Bill's favorite)/could use some coaching/didn't even play football until 2 years ago/is more of a safety"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey