Dolphins want Gaffney but reports are he wants back in NE

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Last edited:
I can't imagine we wouldn't want him back. We're awfully thin at WR now after yesterday's cuts.

I can't imagine we wouldn't want him back. We're awfully thin at WR now after yesterday's cuts.

Depends on his recovery from injury,some of the older players tend to struggle to recover sometimes.

It is possible that the Patriots FO has explained the team's roster building process and the circumstances that a vet like Gaffney or Branch will return under.

There are 17 front 7 players on the d I can't see that situation existing for very long (not counting Pryor who can come off PUP). There are a few players that IMO the Pats would like to get on the PS squad who would be scooped up by others if they were exposed by a cut this weekend (Forston, Francis & Rivera).

They did this with Warren this year and the same thing could happen with Gaffney and or Branch after game 1.

It is possible that the Patriots FO has explained the team's roster building process and the circumstances that a vet like Gaffney or Branch will return under.

There are 17 front 7 players on the d I can't see that situation existing for very long (not counting Pryor who can come off PUP). There are a few players that IMO the Pats would like to get on the PS squad who would be scooped up by others if they were exposed by a cut this weekend (Forston, Francis & Rivera).

They did this with Warren this year and the same thing could happen with Gaffney and or Branch after game 1.

Well, it doesn't have to be after game 1.
There is a very strong possibility that Gaffney and/or Branch were told they are on the team, but their roster spot is being opened up for flexibility of roster moves over the next few days.
There have been many seasons where we make numerous moves in the days following cut down, including trades, cuts, signings, practice squad manuevering, etc. There have been times when it stressed the 53 man limit as well.
With Gaffney it appears he won't be ready for a little while, so he should basically be considered the 54th player on our roster and he is injured and out for a couple of weeks. With Branch, its very possible he will be back and on the field Sunday once all is said and done.

See you in week 2 or when you're healed Jabar! He knows the Pats are taking him back once he's healed assuming nothing goes wrong with him in the meantime, but he's not going to come out and say that in the media. If the Pats didn't take him back he would have scared off other potential suitors.

Is there ANY other team in the NFL who can cut players and said players play along and not talk to other interested teams, with the hope that later on the cutting team will be calling back?

Really. Think about it. How many other teams have "shadow rosters" with the likes of Branch, Gaffney, KFaulk, or Gerard Warren?

Maybe there are, but I am impressed where the Patriots are in players' eyes. There is not another HC in the sport as respected by players as Bill Belichick. Maybe not loved, but respected.

Last edited:
I saw gaffney in a foxboro store with assustants or trainers. He has what looks to be knee injury. Def looks to me like hes not going anywhere but also prob wont be back for a few weeks at least. Had 1crutch. Walked with and without it but bad limp when he didnt use it. Well see but my guess hes stayn. In fact hes obviously rehabing withvl help of the team .

Last edited:
Just spitballing, but are there any ethical concerns with agreements to bring back players and circumvent the down side of cutting other players before the season?

Not saying they have these agreements, but it seems foolhardy to trust a team to pick you up later in a business that's fast moving with a limited career frame, when you could hook on somewhere?

Just spitballing, but are there any ethical concerns with agreements to bring back players and circumvent the down side of cutting other players before the season?

Not saying they have these agreements, but it seems foolhardy to trust a team to pick you up later in a business that's fast moving with a limited career frame, when you could hook on somewhere?

No, the rules are you cut a player, they have to option of retiring, playing for another football league or interested NFL team, or if the Pats move a guy to the PS, cut a player and offer a contract they can come back.

There are guys on this roster who IMO would be picked up by other clubs if cut. In a few days when other teams who made their moves could be moved to the PS. I think this will happen.

Ethical concerns? How so?

Why would Gafffney not look at the current 53 man roster and know he could actually blackmail BB into overpaying him to come back?
The Patriots need Gaffney more than Gaffney needs the Patriots right now.

I saw gaffney in a foxboro store with assustants or trainers. He has what looks to be knee injury. Def looks to me like hes not going anywhere but also prob wont be back for a few weeks at least. Had 1crutch. Walked with and without it but bad limp when he didnt use it. Well see but my guess hes stayn. In fact hes obviously rehabing withvl help of the team .

OK, indulge me in a little conspiracy theorizing here:

A player who started camp healty is now clearly injured and can't take the field. Yet the Patriots cut him. Not waived injured w/injury settlement, cut. Ordinarily, you simply can't do that.

Doesn't that mean they MUST have come to an agreement with the player on how they wanted to handle the situation? And wouldn't such an agreement, which lets the team off the hook for an injury settlement while allowing the player to re-sign with the original team at any time, have to be done on terms of goodwill with both sides interested in a reunion?

What else COULD it mean?

A player who started camp healty is now clearly injured and can't take the field. Yet the Patriots cut him. Not waived injured w/injury settlement, cut. Ordinarily, you simply can't do that.

Doesn't that mean they MUST have come to an agreement with the player on how they wanted to handle the situation? And wouldn't such an agreement, which lets the team off the hook for an injury settlement while allowing the player to re-sign with the original team at any time, have to be done on terms of goodwill with both sides interested in a reunion?

What else COULD it mean?

Warning that you may be taking a post on a message board as fact.
Your conspiracy theory revolves around that sighting actually occuring.

However, in the big picture, I think you are 100% correct, Gaffney is the 54th player on our 53 man roster.

No, the rules are you cut a player, they have to option of retiring, playing for another football league or interested NFL team, or if the Pats move a guy to the PS, cut a player and offer a contract they can come back.

There are guys on this roster who IMO would be picked up by other clubs if cut. In a few days when other teams who made their moves could be moved to the PS. I think this will happen.

So, he's retired?

Warning that you may be taking a post on a message board as fact.
Your conspiracy theory revolves around that sighting actually occuring.

However, in the big picture, I think you are 100% correct, Gaffney is the 54th player on our 53 man roster.

Andy, wasn't Gaffney already known to be injured? He missed a bunch of practices before he was cut, and the Herald blog that started this thread states that he's injured and not yet ready to play.

Andy, wasn't Gaffney already known to be injured? He missed a bunch of practices before he was cut, and the Herald blog that started this thread states that he's injured and not yet ready to play.

I'll bet there is no violation unless the player files a grievance with the NFLPA. Otherwise the league would be all over this.

I don't think its that hard and fast a rule that you have to give an injury settlement to a player who misses practices. I don't know the rule exactly but I think you only need to give an injury settlement in order to release a player from IR, like they just did with Ventrone.
I was just pointing out that you appeared to be relying on the report of the poster, and that was tenuous at best.

What else COULD it mean?
Of course this is what's happening. Gaffney is still on the roster as far as I'm concerned.

I'll bet there is no violation unless the player files a grievance with the NFLPA. Otherwise the league would be all over this.

I don't think there is any rule against cutting a player who is injured.

Gaffney was calling the Patriots about 20 seconds after the Redskins cut him. It doesn't take an ethical violation to think that the Patriots is still the team he'd like to play for when he regains his health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes