PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dolphins vs. Patriots breakdown/analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's the interesting question to ask. Does this mean they literally consider him a deep threat? Or was it just reflex, just carrying out the defensive assignment no matter who is in that slot?
Isn't this at the point in the game where Hernandez has been picking them apart, and Welker had been doubled up? I know Miami made an adjustment for Hernandez and that was the time Brady started hitting Welker again.

Ya know, looking at that still again, I think I see Ninko far behind the play and his responsibility to cover the flat on that side, forcing Merriweather to freeze and hold his position, and not letting him come up.

If that is correct, it was obvious the coaches pulled him aside and instructed him in his assignments, resulting in his two picks...

The Pats have been horrible at covering the flat all season - be it any one of the OLBs, or the safeties. Henne obviously knew it and that 2nd INT to Nink seems to be a direct result of him feeling good about throwing to the flat. Thankfully, it appears Nink is improving in his zone coverage skills.

Want to take a pulse here. Is anyone interested in breaking down the 2nd half or are we moving on to the Ravens?
This is the first thread I check out every day. Post as much as you can, whenever you can, you can bet I'll read it. Thanks, Patspsycho. Great job!

Isn't this at the point in the game where Hernandez has been picking them apart, and Welker had been doubled up? I know Miami made an adjustment for Hernandez and that was the time Brady started hitting Welker again.

Not sure of that. He had a quiet game: 5 rec's for 29 yards.

Hernandez likely draws double coverage because he's the one releasing upfield from the 3-man bunch.

I watched this play several times - brilliant design. Edelman's route is clearly designed to hold the LBs from dropping. Though if the LBs drop anyway, Edelman can probably catch and run for the first.

Hernandez is essentially just a clear-out guy on this play. The defense clearly looks to be bracket coverage between the CB and SS. The only question is whether the safety is doubling Hernandez or Welker. I wouldn't be surprised if Hernandez has an option to turn in if the safety doesn't go with him.

Welker runs a great route, as usual. The other thing to note here is the 1-1 coverage on Tate. If the FS cheats to the trips side, he essentially has half the field to get open.

Not sure of that. He had a quiet game: 5 rec's for 29 yards.

Don't forget, he had a 36 yarder called back b/c of a hold. Also, Brady did only throw the ball 24 times, so production on the receiving front should be down across the board, which it was.

Hernandez still accounted for 20% of the receptions and of the yards (and again, that is excluding a big gain which was called back).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back