PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dolphins vs. Patriots breakdown/analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
If u have the time to put up more analysis go for it, I will definitely be reading it intently... This goes for the 2nd hAlf of this game and the jets game, which I believe u said u did but were saving for the bye week...

I would PAY to read these detailed breakdowns with pics. Outstanding.

Much better than Breer's old 'Tales of the Tape' back when Breer was worth reading.

Looking at the PR and FG blocks, I think an important factor is the Dolphins chose to zone block over fan blocking even though there was an overload in both instances. On the punt block you see the personal protector goaded over to the overload where White is going to feint as the extra rusher (#58). This left the entire left side in man to man and you can see by the arrows (courtesy CBS) how that side deployed to confuse the man coverage. Cunningham takes the outside angle, Page rushes to the open blocker aiming for his right shoulder to pull him inside, clearing the gap which Chung shoots. I think this was a weakness that was exposed in the previous Dolphins game against the Jets where they gave up a blocked FG to the Jets, and BB pounced all over this.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 162
A key player on both ST blocks was Page. He rushed inside on the first one to pull the protection inwards, clearing the path for Chung, and on the blocked FG, we shifted Chung over to the overloaded side, in an instance of outthinking the Dolphins reaction to our blocking their punt. We attacked the edge, but it was Page who defeated the edge on the other side and demonstrated game smarts by tipping the ball ahead where there was a good chance someone could pick it up and carry it. Just smart.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Looking at the PR and FG blocks, I think an important factor is the Dolphins chose to zone block over fan blocking even though there was an overload in both instances. On the punt block you see the personal protector goaded over to the overload where White is going to feint as the extra rusher (#58). This left the entire left side in man to man and you can see by the arrows (courtesy CBS) how that side deployed to confuse the man coverage. Cunningham takes the outside angle, Page rushes to the open blocker aiming for his right shoulder to pull him inside, clearing the gap which Chung shoots. I think this was a weakness that was exposed in the previous Dolphins game against the Jets where they gave up a blocked FG to the Jets, and BB pounced all over this.

The weakness was spoted on the opposite side in the Jets game. Figuring that the Phins would correct only on the problematic side, Pats coaches decided to flip their attack. This lazy correction by the Phins ST coach cost him his job.

Last edited:
BJGE TD came courtesy of great blocking. We see Koppen engage the NT, chip him and lay him off to Neal and advance to seal the MLB (Dansby?). Light and Connolly block down to prevent backside pursuit, while Gronk heads off the Will who is spying BJGE to engage him (Gronk did not block well). This kind of blocking is split-timing and requires no hesitation which BJGE gives you. But as you can see, this still leaves the SS who can engage, but one thing I love about BJGE is he is a low-center of gravity runner, and if you tackle without "hugging," you will not bring him down. Both the Will and the SS (just below the 'M') are unable to bring him down because they do not tackle fully. I think this is a very underestimated aspect of BJGE's game.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
The weakness was spoted on the opposite side in the Jets game. Figuring that the Phins would correct only on the problematic side, Pats coaches decided to flip their attack. This lazy correction by the Phins ST coach cost him his job.

That is interesting. I did not know that.

On the next defensive drive, Spikes and Mayo are undisciplined; They keep committing like one-gappers and the DL is able to wrap them up, and so you see the Dolphins really move the chains here on their run plays.

Last edited:
A key player on both ST blocks was Page. He rushed inside on the first one to pull the protection inwards, clearing the path for Chung, and on the blocked FG, we shifted Chung over to the overloaded side, in an instance of outthinking the Dolphins reaction to our blocking their punt. We attacked the edge, but it was Page who defeated the edge on the other side and demonstrated game smarts by tipping the ball ahead where there was a good chance someone could pick it up and carry it. Just smart.
BB's Belistrator for Patriots All Access pointed out how TBC literally blocked down taking the 2nd blocker inward, and you just demonstrated how Page pulled the outside blocker outward, once again leaving Chung a clear lane.

Additionally, BB showed Tate's TD return, the man he singled out as the key was Ninkovich who came from just inside the numbers on the other side of the field to form a "one-man wall." After Tate sucked the fish to the middle and cut behind Morris' block, he outran the 2nd man in to the outside edge and cut inside Woodhead's block on the contain man, then all the defenders coming out from the inside to try and get him ran into Ninkovich who had looped around outside the numbers and was in the inbound lane as Tate burst up the outbound lane - collisions, chaos, and bye bye Brandon.

In the base on the beginning of this defensive drive, but then near the end for some reason, we go to the 24 nickel. I wonder if it is because our linemen are getting worn out by the humidity, because as soon as we get a lead, we go back to it, with frequent rotations up front, and this is where you see Deaderick getting his reps.

And this is for everyone who wants to see more one-gapping from this defense. This is what happens when you one-gap. If you look at the below still, you see that this is a pure one-gap, rush 7 drop 4 in cover 0 play, and Henne simply beats it by hot reading Ronnie Brown. It is what it is. One gapping is aggressive and in that way is sexy, but it can also give up huge plays, which in this instance, happened. Nobody's fault. It is just how the scheme is- high risk, high gain.

Attachments

• 1gpa.jpg
    1gpa.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 147
A thoughtful member posted a link to an NFL Flims presentation of the '04 Pats-Steelers AFCCG.

Interesting to note some examples in that game of Pats rushers getting pressure 2-gap style by simply engaging their man square, pushing him backwards, and collapsing the pocket. Just need the right personnel.

Last edited:
BB's Belistrator for Patriots All Access pointed out how TBC literally blocked down taking the 2nd blocker inward, and you just demonstrated how Page pulled the outside blocker outward, once again leaving Chung a clear lane.

I'm sorry- I am confused.. TBC? Are we talking about the punt block or the FG block?

If it is the punt block, may you have meant that it was Cunningham who pulled the outside blocker outwards (e.g., taking the outside angle)? It was Page who blocked the 2nd blocker inwards.

I'm sorry- I am confused.. TBC? Are we talking about the punt block or the FG block?

If it is the punt block, may you have meant that it was Cunningham who pulled the outside blocker outwards (e.g., taking the outside angle)? It was Page who blocked the 2nd blocker inwards.
FG block unit. When you get to the segment with BB he specifically singled out Ninkovich and TBC in turn for the TD return and FG block plays. It was truly a coach's eye look at two guys playing below the TV color narrative perspective to make the big play possible, really enjoyable.

Patriots All Access
Patriots All Access - 10/8/2010
Length: 40:26

Watch this edition of Patriots All Access as host Steve Burton, ESPNBoston's Mike Reiss and PFW's Paul Perillo re-cap a wild week for the Patriots, from Monday's dominant performance in Miami, to the surprising trade of Randy Moss. Scott Zolak has a lengthy conversation with quarterback Tom Brady, including his thoughts on the Patriots offense minus Moss. Bill Belichick shows Zolak how special the Patriots Special teams were in Miami on The Belestrator. Plus, Follow Brandon Meriweather's Path to the NFL.

FG block unit. When you get to the segment with BB he specifically singled out Ninkovich and TBC in turn for the TD return and FG block plays. It was truly a coach's eye look at two guys playing below the TV color narrative perspective to make the big play possible, really enjoyable.

Patriots All Access

Ok, I got it. Yes on the FG block, it was TBC who pulled in the 2nd blocker to the inside, but it was Arrington who took the outside angle (Page was on the other side), forcing the flank blocker to choose his poison, Chung or Arrington, and ironically, he chose neither.

Amazing design on that KR- never saw Ninko circling around for the one man wall.. just cunning. Wish I could see the all-22 for every play.

I think now that Moss is out, we're going to see more of this type of play with short to intermediate routes out of the bunch or stack look. Here we have trips right, with Welker and Edelman under Hernandez who takes the 9/fade. Welker runs the in flag and Edelman does the low drag in and what this does is create a wash where Welker comes out and immediately has the inside leverage on the flag which is impossible to defend.

BTW Moss is not in this play at all. That is Tate on the other side in press.

They get 20 yards out of this play.

Attachments

• tripsright.jpg
    tripsright.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 142
Welker coming out of the break. Interesting that Hernandez draws the double coverage.

Attachments

• breaks.jpg
    breaks.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 143
Hernandez likely draws double coverage because he's the one releasing upfield from the 3-man bunch.

Last edited:
Hernandez likely draws double coverage because he's the one releasing upfield from the 3-man bunch.

Well that's the interesting question to ask. Does this mean they literally consider him a deep threat? Or was it just reflex, just carrying out the defensive assignment no matter who is in that slot?

Want to take a pulse here. Is anyone interested in breaking down the 2nd half or are we moving on to the Ravens?

You kidding? I'd read through a breakdown of every play in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes