PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dolphins: Kicker Oldindo Mare out, Vanderjerk in ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-ShirtDynasty

Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/scorecard/03/14/truth.rumors.nfl/1.html

According to a source, Pro Bowl kicker Olindo Mare has asked to be released or traded after recently being told to take a substantial pay cut. According to Mike Vanderjagt Sr., the father of Colts free-agent kicker Mike Vanderjagt, his son dropped by Dolphins headquarters Monday morning to meet with special teams coach Keith Armstrong and General Manager Randy Mueller.
-- South Florida Sun-Sentinel

The Dolphins bringing in Mike Vanderjagt is curious. The former Pro Bowl kicker is the most accurate in NFL history at 87.5 percent, but his visit comes after Olindo Mare posted his best season since 2001. Mare has been with the Dolphins for nine years, holds all the team records for kicking and is the fifth-most accurate kicker in league history at 82 percent. Mare is also exceptionally good at kickoffs, ranking near the top in touchbacks annually.
-- Miami Herald

Very interesting. No?

I mentioned this on the "Adam V. to Miami thread"

Basically it takes away one option (Vanderjerk) for some of the teams but adds another, cheaper, short term alternative to the mix that might drive down Adam V's price.

Why Miami would want Vanderjerk is beyond me - the guy doesn't even kickoff, does he? And we all know about his penchant to choke.

This would be particularly interesting to Adam. The more options close around him, the more concerned he will be. He is certainly waiting a long time to sign. A lot of big money teams have spent so much already. I really think he's holding out in case things might change but if Mare is being eased out because Saban doesn't want to spend $1.5m on him, that's not great news for Adam either. I just hope that Parcells doesn't go crazy and offer him an over the top deal.

Last edited:
VanderJagt and James own a bar in Miami...so V loves the area....Kind of an interesting couple...Edge and Jerk??

Well, if Mia signs Vanderjerk and someone else signs Adam, then Mare would be a viable option for us. Or, Mare to Dallas and then we resign Adam.

PATSNUTme said:
Well, if Mia signs Vanderjerk and someone else signs Adam, then Mare would be a viable option for us. Or, Mare to Dallas and then we resign Adam.

I am not real big on Mare! He grew up in Florida and has spent his career kicking in the heat. I got to see him kick every week when I lived down there fir two years and was not that impressed.

One thing that I wonder about with Nick Saban....will he and BB make similar personel choices, would BB be more or less likely to sign someone NS had cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back