Welcome to PatsFans.com

Doesn't The Liberal Media Have ANY Shame..?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by QuiGon, Aug 16, 2007.

1. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I mean serious... don't you liberals have any shame about how liberal the media is..? You rant and rave and weep and wail about Fox News... and you ignore the ridiculously overt biases in CBSNBCCNNMSNBCTimeNewsweekNYTimesBostonGlobe

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/mark-finkelstein/2007/08/16/msnbc-newsroom-booed-bushs-state-union

And I've got to say, my first night here at MSNBC was the President's State of the Union address in 2003, and I was shocked because there were actually people in the newsroom that were booing the president actually from the beginning to the end.
  2. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Left accuses right of ignoring FOX's bias.

Right accuses left of ignoring MSNBC's bias.

And the dance goes on...
  3. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've sat out that dance. I have openly admitted a bias on the part of Fox News. I just think it's hilarious that the people that whine the most about Fox News say the rest of the MSM is unbiased. You know... Fox News is evil incarnate, but Dan Rather is the epitome of journalistic integrity. If you don't believe me, just ask Patters... he'll explain...
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

No the rights cites specific occurances of media bias, the left says Fox news is biased and gives no specifics.
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

If you're a right wing extremist it's easy to understand why you would think much of the media is liberal. The media is not especially liberal, but reflects the moderate values that the majority of Americans have. The media did an good job covering Lewinsky, Whitewater, the Hillary health care issue, etc., but now that the media is doing a good job covering the war on Iraq and the numerous scandals involving Republicans, they are accused of being liberal. Actually, give Fox News credit for using the righties like puppets to do their bidding.
  6. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I've seen a ton of specifics against Fox on this board, not to mention in my everyday life. I've also seen left-leaning posters defend the other media as impartial, which I agree with Qui Gon is laughable.
  7. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Where does booing Bush fit in with good reporting? I'd be the first person booing if I saw Bush, and I don't even mind the media doing it - they're living, breathing humans beings with feelings, too - but let's not talk out of both sides of our mouth and pretend they're unbiased or impartial.
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

http://www.oreilly-sucks.com/foxbias.htm
    http://www.outfoxed.org/
    http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1067

I guess you're not familiar with the specifics because you rely on biased news sources, like Fox.

How about this, from Fox News itself:

http://slate.com/id/2119864/

Norvell is London bureau chief for Fox News, and on May 20 he let the mask slip in, of all places, the Wall Street Journal....

Here is what Norvell fessed up to in the May 20 Wall Street Journal Europe:

Even we at Fox News manage to get some lefties on the air occasionally, and often let them finish their sentences before we club them to death and feed the scraps to Karl Rove and Bill O'Reilly. And those who hate us can take solace in the fact that they aren't subsidizing Bill's bombast; we payers of the BBC license fee don't enjoy that peace of mind.

Fox News is, after all, a private channel and our presenters are quite open about where they stand on particular stories. That's our appeal. People watch us because they know what they are getting. The Beeb's institutionalized leftism would be easier to tolerate if the corporation was a little more honest about it.
  9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

Well you whine about O'Reilly, but he is a commentator not a reporter, that is why one wouldn't call say Chris Matthews biased because he is a commentator not a reporter. As opposed to Katie Couric and D Rather who present themselves as journalist when they are partisans.

You can play with strawmen, I'm not interested.
  10. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I agree with that, I have no problem with some bias in news, everyone's got biases, I just don't like when sources pretend they're more unbiased than the next guy.
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +502 / 6 / -2

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  12. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I would disagree that the media is doing a "good job" covering the war in Iraq, in fact, I'd go so far as to say their coverage stinks. The only news out of Iraq is the bad news. I may be in the minority, but I think this is not due so much to a liberal bias from major media outlets, but rather the general deterioration of news coverage across the board. Its all sensationalism, and framing every story in black and white terms makes for much better TV than reporting the complexities of the situation as they really are. Also, please do not confuse opinion shows on Fox news, like the O'Reilly factor, with news programs. The actual news on Fox is really no different from that on CNN. Where they diverge is that Fox news has a lot of opinion programming with a decidedly right wing point of view. Based on the ratings these shows get compared to the woeful ratings of shows on, for example, MSNBC, I would say this is a shrewd programming decision. Believe me, if right wing programs weren't popular, you wouldn't be seeing them on TV at all. Don't confuse news programs with opinion programs with statements like "Give Fox News credit for using the righties like puppets to do their bidding." I personally do not enjoy Rush or O'Reilly's shows, but at least I can recognize what they are.
  13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

You feel it reflects the mainstream since 90% vote for the dems. I am reminded of the comment of P Kael (the late movie critic for the NYT and Manhattan resident), She couldn't understand how Nixon got elected since no one she knew voted for him. ;)
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

The problem is that good news isn't news. A headline reading 98% of Iraqis had perfectly ordinary day isn't news. There's just not a lot of good news that's newsworthy. You may be right that it has something to do with the general deterioration of news coverage. Sensationalism sells, and no one knows that better than Fox News (at least the local station).

Two points. Fox News itself is very biased. There's plenty of evidence of them failing to properly cover stories embarrassing to the administration. For intance, remember during the Anna Nicole story when Fox News was accused of covering that at the expense of the news story on the Walter Reid Hospital?

It's fine to have commentary shows, but what Fox does consistently is bring on ineffective liberals and then cut them off over and over again. They are not trying to foster discussion, but they are trying to incite the right wing.
  15. Patters

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

Most journalists may be Democrats, but that doesn't mean their liberal. Most owners, on the other hand, are conservative, as our their principle shareholders.

Check this out:

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=2447

This seems to be a pretty fair survey (and explains its methodology in good detail), which in many ways will support your claim about journalists, but probably not to the extent Fox News would have you believe.
  16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +502 / 6 / -2

He wouldn't know anyway. How could he since HE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE CABLE.
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

Yeah right they're not libs. :singing: :singing:
  18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

BTW FAIR is to the left of think progress. There are polls showing the voting patters and contributions of media members that show how liberal they are, spin to cover up and show up MSM credibility is pretty funny.
  19. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It's fine to have commentary shows, but what Fox does consistently is bring on ineffective liberals and then cut them off over and over again. They are not trying to foster discussion, but they are trying to incite the right wing.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's what gives them their ratings! People find Bill O'Reilly shouting down some whack job from San Francisco more entertaining than an in-depth, even handed discussion of a particular topic from both points of view. Would you agree with those in Congress that say the government should mandate equal time to both sides? For all the talk (not from you here, but from other posts I've read in the political forum) of the "Bush dictatorship" this is the scariest idea I've heard from the goverment in a long time, basically flying in the face of the first ammendment.

I think overall here we do agree that today's news is junk. That's why I get all my current events info from The Simpsons/South Park/The Family Guy. Now THAT'S how to stay properly informed.
  20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

I get all the news I need from the weather report... Paul Simon

OTOH, this whole thread started with the right wing newsbusters, now if it started with Media Matters it would have followed with all the right wing sheeple bashing the messenger, and ignoring the message.. talk about fair and unbiased, there is no such thing on the news, the internet or on this board.