PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does WR Matt Jones deserve another chance in the NFL in an area of a Patriots need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Does WR Matt Jones deserve another chance in the NFL in an area of a Patriots nee

Jones should have been given a tryout this past season.
Based on his less than impressive production for Jacksonville or his access to recreational drugs?

Re: Does WR Matt Jones deserve another chance in the NFL in an area of a Patriots nee

funny-pictures-kitten-plays-invisible-football.jpg

LOL. I bet that kitten runs better routes than Galloway.

LOL. I bet that kitten runs better routes than Galloway.
He certainly tracks the ball better.

Do you know any details on that case?

Stallworth was driving the the next morning after a night of drinking. He was driving on a highway outside Miami where people routinely go up to 50 mph. There was a man running across the street who was trying to catch a bus on the other side of the freeway. Stallworth saw him, flashed his lights and honked, and tried to stop, but still hit him. He immediately got out his car and called 911, and stayed until the police got there. He cooperated fully with the police. He plead guilty and reached a financial settlement with the man's family. He served his time in jail and expressed deep remorse throughout the entire incident. From everything I've heard from the Boston media, Stallworth was a high-class, genuine guy when he was here in Foxboro. This is something that could have happened to anyone (hitting a pedestrian on a busy street); it was the BAC from the alcohol the night before that got him. As a point of comaprison, Leonard Little was convicted of DUI manslaughter in 1998 and was STILL arrested in 2004 for DUI. And I'm not even bringing up Ray Lewis.

Two years ago, Matt Jones was arrested with two other men in a car that had both cocaine and marijuana inside. He was suspended for the last three games of the 2008 season. Two months after the 2008 season, while still on probation, Jones was arrested AGAIN after he failed a drug test for alcohol

I agree, Jones probably does deserve a second chance. But this whole mentality to dismiss all of one's OWN actions because they have an addicition is sickening.

Stallworth made ONE mistake and owned up to it.

Jones was in a car with coke, that doesn't mean it was his, have you ever hung out with people who had drugs on them? I have, I went my separate ways when I found out they had stuff on them but I could have been arrested just the same if they were in my car.

Then Jones had a few beers, big deal, they were mistakes he can't afford to make, the question is whether he can learn and not make them again. I NEVER dismissed Jone's actions based on addiction, please don't put words in my mouth. Also, Jones has admitted that he has made a mistake so he did own up to it.

I don't know why people are so out to bash Jones, he made stupid mistakes but Moss has done time for marijuana and assaulted a woman with a car yet I don't hear anyone screaming for kicking him off the team (unless it's to get a 2nd round pick or better:D)

looks like the bengals are making him an offer too

Jones was in a car with coke, that doesn't mean it was his, have you ever hung out with people who had drugs on them? I have, I went my separate ways when I found out they had stuff on them but I could have been arrested just the same if they were in my car.

Then Jones had a few beers, big deal, they were mistakes he can't afford to make, the question is whether he can learn and not make them again. I NEVER dismissed Jone's actions based on addiction, please don't put words in my mouth. Also, Jones has admitted that he has made a mistake so he did own up to it.

I don't know why people are so out to bash Jones, he made stupid mistakes but Moss has done time for marijuana and assaulted a woman with a car yet I don't hear anyone screaming for kicking him off the team (unless it's to get a 2nd round pick or better:D)

Moss is actually good...

Based on his less than impressive production for Jacksonville or his access to recreational drugs?

Based on his "less than impressive production for Jacksonville" being vastly superior to Aiken's production for New England and elsewhere.

Last edited:

Hell, let's sign Stallworth AND Jones and open a rehab clinic in Patriot Place.

Stallworth "KILLED" someone by ACCIDENT. Did you get that part? Anyone can get into an accident, even you. If you do, should your employer fire you? Should you be shunned by society for the rest of your life?

Matt Jones took RECREATIONAL (not "painkillers" that he became addicted to) drugs repeatedly. That's a character flaw. He had the world by the tail and he couldn't stop using cocaine?

And what if he does it here? So we sign him and then he gets suspended for a year or so due to his "falling off the wagon"?

I'm not saying Stallworth doesn't deserve a second change but he was driving drunk. If he wasn't drunk he probably would have been able to stop in time and not have the resulting tragedy.

I'm not saying Stallworth doesn't deserve a second change but he was driving drunk. If he wasn't drunk he probably would have been able to stop in time and not have the resulting tragedy.

How do you know that?

Moss is actually good...

Ok, let me get this straight, it's ok to ignore bad stuff people do just as long as they can sufficiently entertain you?

How do you know that?

Being sober makes it less likely.

How do you know that?

Intoxication delays your reaction time and impairs your ability to drive.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/246001-ot-stallworth-enter-guilty-plea-dui-page2.html

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/223533-donte-stallworth-may-get-cut-today-would-you-take-him-back.html

This is well worn territory and your follow up post doesn't prove your initial assertion.

Ok, let me get this straight, it's ok to ignore bad stuff people do just as long as they can sufficiently entertain you?

No its okay to ignore petty crap if the player produces. Randy Moss produces. Matt Jones wouldnt make the 1st cuts as to who could hold Moss's jock.

Based on his "less than impressive production for Jacksonville" being vastly superior to Aiken's production for New England and elsewhere.
I'll put my money on Sam Aiken making the NE roster.

No its okay to ignore petty crap if the player produces. Randy Moss produces. Matt Jones wouldnt make the 1st cuts as to who could hold Moss's jock.

If Jones did use drugs who did he hurt, maybe himself, but Moss uses drugs and hits a woman with his car but that's cool? Something is right or wrong independent of other actions by a person. Don't tell me Jones is a lowlife for maybe using cocaine and Moss isn't because Moss is a better football player, football ability has NOTHING to do with one's character.

Being sober makes it less likely.

That's not what I'm saying. How do you know a sober person wouldn't in this particular case?

Stallworth had time to honk and flash his lights. It was more than likely the speeding that caused the accident; he was going at least 40 in a 30, on a road where most people go 50 (like Storrow Drive), which is what police said he was going (Stallworth said 40).

Last edited:

I'll put my money on Sam Aiken making the NE roster.

Nothing but insanity will explain making Aiken anything above WR5, preferably WR6. If Aiken makes this roster as a rotational receiver any higher than that, as opposed to a special teamer, I'll begin the calls for Belichick's firing and psychiatric commitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes