Does Welker want out of New England?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Francesa Says Welker Wants Out Of NE...
Snoozy just reported on his radio show that he has his "sauces" that have been telling him that Welker is tired of being unappreciated by the Pats and their fans...

Says Welker will be flirting with the 49'ers once FA begins...

Francesa Says Welker Wants Out Of NE... - Jets Insider.com Forums

I'm listening to WFAN now, looking for confirmation that Francessa actually said it.

I'm listening to WFAN now, looking for confirmation that Francessa actually said it.

So let's say that Welker goes. Bummer, because he's perfect for this offense. But if he goes, and Boldin is released, and the Pats sign him, they get a bigger, faster receiver at the same age as Welker, and probably for less money. The question would be: How good would the Pats' offense be if the two main wide receivers were Lloyd and Boldin instead of Lloyd and Welker?

i do not know which of the two would be "better"

but w/ welker its more efficient and safe, and w/ boldin it'll b more dynamic and risky

So let's say that Welker goes. Bummer, because he's perfect for this offense. But if he goes, and Boldin is released, and the Pats sign him, they get a bigger, faster receiver at the same age as Welker, and probably for less money. The question would be: How good would the Pats' offense be if the two main wide receivers were Lloyd and Boldin instead of Lloyd and Welker?

4 WR's: Lloyd/Boldin/Bowe/Edelman (Could we have Bowe and Boldin for the cost of Welker?)

3 TE's: Gronk/Hernandez/Ballard at TE

5 RB's: Ridley/Vereen/Woodhead/Bolden/Demps

The guy we really need to focus on re-signing is Vollmer.

Thanks for everything, Wes.

Last edited:
I'm skeptical to say the least. Time will tell whether or not Francesa is right (if he actually did say that). And stop talking about Boldin, people. He's not coming here.

I hope Welker says in NE. 1. He's a perfect target for TFB and 2. I just don't see him being as productive on another team.

everybody gets so divisive about whether we should keep welker ---- is there really somebody who thinks we'd be better without welker?
it's ******ed.

it's just a money thing -- if they can cut a deal, they will, if they can't, they won't.
there's a lot of guys who would help the team, but there's obviously only so much room under the cap.

I don't know that Boldin's any faster than Welker. I do know that Welker is much quicker than Boldin.

Hey Deuce there must be a Storm or something your posting about WFAN Francesa I just threaded about reading in NY Post, it's comin down to this huh? lol I heard it also Mike always get it from his "Sauses" but when someone calls him and says they "heard" things Mike dismisses it as mere speculation.

I sure do appreciate what Wes Welker has done during his Patriots tenure. If he moves on I'll wish him nothing but good thoughts (until the Superbowl if he does go to the 49ers). That said, there will be more cap space available to improve other areas of need so I won't cry over spilt milk.

everybody gets so divisive about whether we should keep welker ---- is there really somebody who thinks we'd be better without welker?
it's ******ed.

it's just a money thing -- if they can cut a deal, they will, if they can't, they won't.
there's a lot of guys who would help the team, but there's obviously only so much room under the cap.

I don't think that question could be answered until we know who would take his place.

If the plan is not signing Welker and thinking addition by subtraction is better.... Hernandez / Edelman.......I am not going to be happy.

IF the plan is a fast, outside true #1 Wallace, Jennings etc (no, not Boldin) with the above and Lloyd, count me in.

Patriots will spend their money, they always do............let's just see where it goes.

If this is true, then maybe Welker should look at the 49ers' cap right now. They've got under $4M, and anything they gain by getting rid of Alex Smith is going to go to Dashon Goldson.

He will want out of NE if they don't want to pay him the $$$. If the pats give him his asking price than he will have nothing but great things to say about the organization. Also, I call BS on Mike's "sauces' because the fans appreciate Wes. Sure, fans complain about some of his drops but that comes with the territory.

I'm fine with Welker not being back if it means getting some wide receivers with size/speed or a combination of both to take his place.

Whatever happens to Welker, the depth will need to be addressed. Also interested to see what happens to Edelman too.

4 WR's: Lloyd/Boldin/Bowe/Edelman (Could we have Bowe and Boldin for the cost of Welker?)

LMAO

Bowe alone would cost more than Welker for more years.

You got to be kidding me.

I don't know that Boldin's any faster than Welker. I do know that Welker is much quicker than Boldin.

I fully agree with that. I do think Boldin has better straight line speed. He's also significantly bigger and has better hands. I've never seen Boldin drop a pass. As good as Welker is (and he does make some great catches), one thing we've seen the past couple of years is a rising number of drops.

Welker is proven in this offense. I do wonder what the Pats' offense would look like with a Boldin instead of a Welker.

I think it will be a tag & trade with Welker. They want him, but at heir price. They then allow him o seek a trade. The team will get a 2&4 in return.

it's ******ed.

We're a better team with Welker on the team. Anyone claiming our offense is worse because of Welker doesn't understand anything. That being said, saying our offense would be better with an outside the numbers guy like Fitzgerald is correct.

I put Welker in the same category as Fitzgerald as far as elite WRs go. However Welker doesn't fit our scheme as much as a Fitzgerald would. That doesn't make Fitzgerald better because I'd rather have Welker in a almost any offense that doesn't feature two tight ends, but we're building our offense around Hernandez/Gronk/Ridley. Fitz is a more natural fit than Welker.

Another thing is that while I do value Welker and think he has been the cog that made our offense historically great the past several years, I do think we'd be a top 5 offense without him. I'd rather have a top 5 offense and a top 5 defense than a top 3 all time offense and a mediocre defense.

...I put Welker in the same category as Fitzgerald as far as elite WRs go. However Welker doesn't fit our scheme as much as a Fitzgerald would. That doesn't make Fitzgerald better because I'd rather have Welker in a almost any offense that doesn't feature two tight ends, but we're building our offense around Hernandez/Gronk/Ridley. Fitz is a more natural fit than Welker...

:confused:

Welker is a tremendous fit for the Patriots scheme. In the 5 years the Brady/Welker duo has been together, there have been

2 SB appearances
3 AFCCG appearances
1 16-0 season
1 14-2 season
1 13-3 season
1 12-4 season
1 10-6 season (Brady's year back from sugery)

2008 was the lost season
2009 was the lost playoff season (Welker injured week 17)

So, only one "healthy" Brady/Welker season hasn't resulted in at least an AFCCG appearance, and that was the 2010 playoff season with the loss to the Jets.

4 WR's: Lloyd/Boldin/Bowe/Edelman (Could we have Bowe and Boldin for the cost of Welker?) No.

3 TE's: Gronk/Hernandez/Ballard at TE We counted on a couple of TE's last season and none of them panned out.

5 RB's: Ridley/Vereen/Woodhead/Bolden/Demps Who knows if Demps pans out or can stay on the field. It's taking Vereen a looooong time to win over the staff.

The guy we really need to focus on re-signing is Vollmer. Actually he's the other one we could afford to lose unless he settles for playing time incentives.

Thanks for everything, Wes.

I wouldn't blame Wes in the least if he'd had enough of us and the organization. If you don't like his drops on 120 catches you're gonna have a problem with Bowe. And Boldin is reportedly saying if he's cut he's going to retire... SF makes no sense. Atlanta, Indy, Denver, Dallas...and probably a few others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes