PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does this just make too much sense? (Andre Johnson wants out of Houston)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is your friend on FaceBook legit? Credible?

The Houston reporter reporting Johnson won't be traded has been wrong before:

Although the Houston Chronicle's John McClain has been adamant the Texans will not trade Johnson, it's worth remembering McClain was adamant for most of the pre-draft process that the Texans would not select Jadeveon Clowney at No. 1 overall. (They did.) We suspect GM Rick Smith would seriously consider dealing Johnson if a win-now team offered a 2015 second-round pick. If the offer were a fourth- or fifth-rounder, the Texans should comfortably pass.

http://dlvr.it/6Hwr8w

Has your "source" been right before?
This is the first time him mentioning something. He friended me a month ago from a Patriots page I run on facebook called...Patriots Draft Room. So no, I do not know if it is credible. I am just putting it out there. If it happens then it happens, if not, nothing will happen.

Oh, I thought you knew him personally.

Actually, McClain came around to the Clowney pick about a month before the draft. That said, he's rarely right about anything

The worst part of the Volin tweet is that it got picked up by NESN whose article was linked to by Patriots.Com so his mistake will now taken as gospel.

Did you see our red zone stats last year? Do you not think that AJ would convert a good number of red zone opportunities to TDs?

The Gronk is already the answer to that problem, their redzone efficiency went from 61% with the Gronk to 22% without him.

Now if you put a true Number One WR, on the field with the Gronk, then that number might be even higher. Johnson would be a major coup for the Pats. I know sure if it is even feasible or even plausible, but Johnson is a GREAT football player, and you can never have enough great players!

Give Brady another great WR, and let him re-write the record books again!

I have to admit I knew Andre Johnson was a great receiver but I never realized how great he is. He had 5 seasons with 100+ catches and 1000+ yards, 4 seasons with 1400+ yards, and 3 seasons with 1500+ yards.

The Houston reporter reporting Johnson won't be traded has been wrong before:

Although the Houston Chronicle's John McClain has been adamant the Texans will not trade Johnson, it's worth remembering McClain was adamant for most of the pre-draft process that the Texans would not select Jadeveon Clowney at No. 1 overall. (They did.) We suspect GM Rick Smith would seriously consider dealing Johnson if a win-now team offered a 2015 second-round pick. If the offer were a fourth- or fifth-rounder, the Texans should comfortably pass.

http://dlvr.it/6Hwr8w

Actually, McClain came around to the Clowney pick about a month before the draft. That said, he's rarely right about anything

The Gronk is already the answer to that problem, their redzone efficiency went from 61% with the Gronk to 22% without him.

Now if you put a true Number One WR, on the field with the Gronk, then that number might be even higher. Johnson would be a major coup for the Pats. I know sure if it is even feasible or even plausible, but Johnson is a GREAT football player, and you can never have enough great players!

Give Brady another great WR, and let him re-write the record books again!
Fully agree. The problem is that Gronk has been unreliable and we have no back-up as a red target threat. We can move the ball with out him, but scoring takes a hit. Ii think AJ would solve that problem.

If you are going to use My argument as being hypothetical, I'm curious how your argument is any different. You said he would have made last years red zone numbers better, I said those red zone numbers wouldn't matter because the broncos walk up and down the field ALL over us when we lost our top corner, part way through the first half.

Based on previous experiences with Top tier receivers, we did not win titles with them. the money is better spent on defensive pieces. Andre Johnson moving forward is an older, expensive wide receiver that puts up top ten numbers. Again I'll point to the fact that our offense was THIRD last year, we don't need to get more offense, we need to STOP people from scoring on us, which in turn will improve the offense just due to 1.) more opportunities because of turn overs 2.) brady won't ever have to play catch up and will allow the patriots to use different looks.
The key part of my argument is not the hypothetical part--all acquisitions involve hypothetical projections--it is the one game part based on personnel we are not going to field again. You can't say we would have won that game if we had Browner either, but BB still went out and got him. It is fine to try to improve defense. Is there a specific player available who you would try to obtain with these resources?

Last edited:
Take this with a grain of salt, it is a rumor. Somebody I know on facebook, his friend works in the front office of the Patriots. He said that the Patriots are trying to create cap space to get Johnson. The problem I have is what they are willing to give up for him. Mallett and a 2nd Rounder which I think would be ridiculous for a 33 year old WR. We dont even know if he can grasp the offense. Dont want another Ochocinco!!!

This is a fun fan message board. I appreciate how you took pains to describe the source of your rumor rather than just saying "I know of someone who..."

The key part of my argument is not the hypothetical part--all acquisitions involve hypothetical projections--it is the one game part based on personnel we are not going to field again. You can't say we would have won that game if we had Browner either, but BB still went out and got him. It is fine to try to improve defense. Is there a specific player available who you would try to obtain with these resources?

Regardless its all hypothetical because it never actually happened. You can't use Fantasy "what ifs" one way and then completely discount someone elses use of the same.

and its all pointless because the texans are not going to trade him.

This is a fun fan message board. I appreciate how you took pains to describe the source of your rumor rather than just saying "I know of someone who..."

Actually, I have another report from someone I actually know. He used to be on Patriots radio and is part of Ear2groundsports.com, he knows McCourty's Agent. McCourty's agent told him that the Patriots haven't approached McCourty about an extension yet. If they want to make cap room, they have to extend McCourty and Slater.

Take this with a grain of salt, it is a rumor. Somebody I know on facebook, his friend works in the front office of the Patriots. He said that the Patriots are trying to create cap space to get Johnson. The problem I have is what they are willing to give up for him. Mallett and a 2nd Rounder which I think would be ridiculous for a 33 year old WR. We dont even know if he can grasp the offense. Dont want another Ochocinco!!!
And if you can't believe an anonymous forum poster's facebook friend's friend, then who can you believe??!

Actually, I have another report from someone I actually know. He used to be on Patriots radio and is part of Ear2groundsports.com, he knows McCourty's Agent. McCourty's agent told him that the Patriots haven't approached McCourty about an extension yet. If they want to make cap room, they have to extend McCourty and Slater.

They better get to work.

Elite Safeties are few and far between.

Hope it comes true.

A Johnson and Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes