PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does this just make too much sense? (Andre Johnson wants out of Houston)

Status
Not open for further replies.
in my next update to my 2014 salary cap picture will mention that trading Amendola this season will create $2.88m in cap space.

The problem is two-fold:

1. I don't see the Patriots giving up what it would take to get him (which is more than likely a higher pick) unless the second year guys are busting, Amendola and/or Edelman is hurt, LaFell doesn't get it, or all of the above.

2. The Texans are not that far away. They can just hold onto him, as Deus noted, and let Johnson start accruing fines.

Either way, I think it's highly unlikely Johnson ends up here. Not impossible. Just unlikely.
Oh, I agree 100%. I don't see the Patriots unloading the best offer. I think it is an extreme longshot. There's just little else to talk about on a lazy summer afternoon waiting for camp.

Johnson is owed $31.5 million over the next three years. There's no way he collects all that from Houston, so they will part company at some point. I don't see NE trading anything of real value and paying him $10.0 million for 2014. Is he willing to renegotiate? If not, this is nothing more than a pipe dream.

It only makes sense that the FO pegged Johnson as being serious about not playing for them this year and they decided to save themselves a million dollars..

.. the irony being that in doing so they all but guaranteed their doing so would become the straw that broke any desire of Johnson's to honor his side of the contract.

Last edited:
I do not see Johnson coming to New England. For one, we dont have the cap space. two, it would cost too much to give up high draft picks for a 33 yr old WR.

Ultimately, I don't think cap space will be an issue. If BB is intrigued enough and Johnson wants to be here it will happen. There are so many ways to structure contracts and the cap will increase substantially over the next few years..

It will come down to how much the two parties are interested in each other. I wonder if BB wants to scratch that itch that Ochocinco left when it simply didn't work out..

If I'm Houston, why would I trade Johnson for anything less than

1. money back from Johnson
  2. first round pick, minimum
when, if he sits, he doesn't get paid, and he just ages another year?

I agree and I've NEVER seen a team do something stupid. :)

Ultimately, I don't think cap space will be an issue. If BB is intrigued enough and Johnson wants to be here it will happen. There are so many ways to structure contracts and the cap will increase substantially over the next few years..

It will come down to how much the two parties are interested in each other. I wonder if BB wants to scratch that itch that Ochocinco left when it simply didn't work out..
Exactly, LOL @ cap space being a reason this can't happen.

Just four months ago we landed one of the best FAs in NFL history. Never say never.

From Andre Johnson's POV, it's a dream scenario.

From the Patriots POV, it's a perfect fit that would require minimal cap manuevering.

From the Texans POV, it's unlikely they will trade him (as Deus explained why).

All it will take will be the Texans budging in the next month of two if Johnson sticks to his guns.

We landed Revis while he was probably being offered deals of 16-18 million a year by the likes of the Browns/Raiders. Anything is possible.

i wanted him a few years ago..not at 33 and NOT at that price..or anywhere near that price

Actually he could be traded to the patriots. If he wants to win he will restructure, I'm sure he's smart enough to know that a contender with a great qb can't afford to pay him that much especially at his age. So I'm sure he knows this and is expecting a restructure to win a championship. The Texans also know he is 33 and that they aren't a Superbowl contender with their qb situation. By the time they have a franchise qb he could be 34\35. Texans are rebuilding and they know a draft pick would help them improve next season. They realize finding a young talented WR to pair with Hopkins is in their best interest rather than squeezing another pro bowl season from Johnson. Which won't help them when they can actually contend next season or after that. The #2 pick they can get for Johnson will help them make some superbowl runs once tom savage is ready to lead them to a championship run. Johnson has paid his dues there. They owe it to him to let him chase a ring while he can still be a difference maker for a contender. While they get some ammo in return to help tom savage.

If I am the Texans, I am trading Johnson. He is gone after this year anyway. They aren't winning anything with Ryan Fitzpatrick as their QB. Get a draft pick and get Johnson off your books. The hardball tactics over $1 million bonus though hurts their bargaining position with other teams because Johnson is holding out and demanding a trade rather than getting him into camp and trading him from more of a position of strength.

As for the Pats getting him. I don't think they will, but the Pats can easily afford his contract by converting most of his salary into a bonus. If they end up cutting Connolley and extend McCourty, they will have even more cap room.

I'm all in on a GFY World Tour: The Empire Wins it Back.

Rapoport just said on NFLN that Andre Johnson is willing to restructure his contract.

Team would be unstoppable with AJ.

I'd probably go as high as Pick 2 from the Following 3 :

1) #2 pick
2) Mallett
3) Any WR not named Edelman

Savage is a huge ? so getting him and Mallett to compete to be the QB of the Future at a fairly cheap price would be interesting for Houston. They could also want a WR who knows the system, even though our WR are young they were all here last year other than LaFell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back