PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does the success of 2008 rookie QBs Flacco & Ryan affect the value of Cassel at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Does the success of 2008 rookie QBs Flacco & Ryan affect the value of Cassel at a

Cassel had a NICE 2008 season for the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS - Thats does not neccessarily mean he will be as good for his next team,Whereas 'old' vets like Garcia have proven themselves very capable of winning over the years and with different teams. - Cassel is still a huge question mark with many teams I am sure.

Cassel also has a chance of being an elite player. Garcia is never going to be an elite player again.

Garcia the best case is middle of the road starter. Cassel? Who knows.

Re: Does the success of 2008 rookie QBs Flacco & Ryan affect the value of Cassel at a

Cassel also has a chance of being an elite player. Garcia is never going to be an elite player again.

Garcia the best case is middle of the road starter. Cassel? Who knows.

Good point - like with the draft (1st round) prospects - you are not just drafting the player but drafting for future potential. Hopefully this potential -for a first round pick - is at least a dependable starter and (icing on the cake)- Pro bowler or better.

With Cassel - he has already proved he can be a dependable starter - good decision maker, makes all the throws, can run it, leader, etc. AND HIS GAME translates into the next level (NFL) during his first year of starter status. So you already know his floor - how high is his ceiling?

When you draft a first round QB - you are never guarenteed that he has 'it' at the NFL level - let alone his ceiling at that level. So many 1st round QB busts in just the last 10 years alone.

Cassel has already shown his dependable starter status - which NFL teams don't want a dependable QB starter? There are at least 10 teams where Matty would be an upgrade and need a dependable QB starter. (due to injuries some teams try to carry 2 NFL caliber level QB's if they can afford it).
And Cassel proved it in just his first year of starting - how high is his ceiling?
That is worth at least a mid 1st rounder. Wouldn't you as GM pay a mid-first rounder for a dependable QB starter with unkown upside?

Good point - like with the draft (1st round) prospects - you are not just drafting the player but drafting for future potential. Hopefully this potential -for a first round pick - is at least a dependable starter and (icing on the cake)- Pro bowler or better.

With Cassel - he has already proved he can be a dependable starter - good decision maker, makes all the throws, can run it, leader, etc. AND HIS GAME translates into the next level (NFL) during his first year of starter status. So you already know his floor - how high is his ceiling?

When you draft a first round QB - you are never guarenteed that he has 'it' at the NFL level - let alone his ceiling at that level. So many 1st round QB busts in just the last 10 years alone.

Cassel has already shown his dependable starter status - which NFL teams don't want a dependable QB starter? There are at least 10 teams where Matty would be an upgrade and need a dependable QB starter. (due to injuries some teams try to carry 2 NFL caliber level QB's if they can afford it).
And Cassel proved it in just his first year of starting - how high is his ceiling?
That is worth at least a mid 1st rounder. Wouldn't you as GM pay a mid-first rounder for a dependable QB starter with unkown upside?

Cassel showed me ALOT as I was one of the doubters last year and he was a good scrambler and made accurate throws BUT what intrigues me about the future of Matt is what kind of a QB will he be when the game plan is not directed by Mr. Belichick and there are no clutch receivers like Randy Moss and dependable sure hands like Wes Welker around to make it easier to look good.

Cassel showed me ALOT as I was one of the doubters last year and he was a good scrambler and made accurate throws BUT what intrigues me about the future of Matt is what kind of a QB will he be when the game plan is not directed by Mr. Belichick and there are no clutch receivers like Randy Moss and dependable sure hands like Wes Welker around to make it easier to look good.

Yes, it always helps to get ones feet 'wet' being in a stable situation and taking things slowly. Rather than being thrown into the 'deep end' and being told to sink or swim. Translate to NFL - better to get VET starter experience on PATS with decent Oline and WR's THAN to be thrust into a caotic and dysfunctional situation (J. Russell - Raiders) and the pressure to be the 'savior' of the franchaise.

So yes, Matty will go to a team with lesser WR's and OLine than Pats more than likely (unless it is Vikings). But I would much rather thrust a VET into such a (less than optimal) situation (49'ers, Detroit, etc) rather than rely on a rookie QB (Sanchez / Stafford) who are Juniors no less. That is were the extra value of Cassel is (over a rookie draft pick QB) that some people on this board (and many on other teams websites) don't get. He will add stability and leadership to a chaotic team in transition. How can one expect a rookie QB to do that? One who is new to the whole different experience of the NFL. How is he supposed to be a leader from day 1 as a rookie (that a starting QB is expected to be)? Let alone learn a phonebook size playbook and 'up' his game to the faster speed of the NFL level.

Don't forget, Sanchez has only started like 15 games in college. He just screams collosal bust.

Don't forget, Sanchez has only started like 15 games in college. He just screams collosal bust.

I understand your point and agree about Sanchez, but the counterpoint is how many games did Cassel start at USC?

Last edited:

Ryan and Flacco are rare exceptions where a rookie at the helm of QB made the difference last season - I wonder if other teams may have this in the back of thier mind and possibly not make a huge offer if they need a QB but may think that maybe Sanchez or Stafford could be next years version of Flacco or Ryan and make an immediate positive impact?

Ryan and Flacco are better prospects, IMO. I would have doubts about both Sanchez and Stafford if I were a GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back