PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Systemic Familiarity Breed Obsolescence??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off The Grid

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
It seems to me that the historical precedent is that successfull Systems become so familiar to the rest of the League...that what was once a Revolutionary Concept ~ a Disruptive Advantage ~ eventually gets washed away.

Perhaps it is that, as much as the aging of the Veteran Core...that has brought about the SunSets of previous Dynasties.

I think it has been both, with this Familiarity ~ born of its own success ~ being a very real contributing factor.

What is truly amazing about Coach Bill, on the other hand, is his FANATICISM with refreshing the 53 with increasingly substantial Impact Talent, each year. And he seems, incredibly, to've suddenly ramped up to an astonishing level of effectiveness, the last 2 years: so much so that I believe we're on the brink of The Second Dynasty.

How do y'all perceive that as having effected our success, over the last 5 years?

And what do you see of the Future?

What an odd premise to present after yesterday's game...

I didn't realize the Patriots run the same routes on every down.

It's just like Techmo Bowl. Moss deep post. Welker slant. Tate sideline out. Gronkowski six steps and box out.

Last edited:
Many years ago, I argued that BB's defensive advantage would be reduced over time because:

• His system would be better studied, and hence less of a surprise to people, in part because more teams were adopting it.
  • He would lose an advantage in getting personnel (more) easily for his system, because there was more competition in getting those same personnel.
  • He would also lose a one-time advantage he had in bringing a lot of guys along he knew from other teams (in retrospect, it's not clear how big that one was in the first place).

A happy countervailing factor turned out to be that guys would come to join the team just because they wanted to be with an excellent franchise. That kept a big advantage going for quite a while longer, up to and including Randy Moss. It probably continues to be at least somewhat of an advantage to this day.

Then the Pats developed a huge advantage for a little while again by aggressive adoption of the spread offense, and grabbing a major perfect-fit player (Welker) as part of the adoption.

Let's see what he comes up with next.

Last edited:
[*]He would lose an advantage in getting personnel (more) easily for his system, because there was more competition in getting those same personnel.

More than anything else, I think this is the key. The AFC East now has three teams that run a 3-4 and compete for the same types of players (nose tackles, pass rushing OLBs, Seymour types, etc.) A vast quantity of other teams have also made the switch. Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork can no longer be had outside the top 10 in the draft.

Only time and the players and coaches and all the front office keeping it up will show

I see a very good future for this team with the only thing holding them back being weakness within the key coaching positions.

Not so much the ones with the X's and O's, but moreso the ones who are responsible for actually setting the game plans, calling the plays as they develop and who are quick to make note that what they thought would work is not working, and be ready and willing to change immediately before it gets too late.

That, BTW, has been the Trojan horse of this team for the past season plus two games. The weapons have been loaded but the coaches are way too slow to pull the triggers or change horses.

Thank you, BleedBlue...

VERY interesting angle on things. :cool:

Many years ago, I argued that BB's defensive advantage would be reduced over time because:

• His system would be better studied, and hence less of a surprise to people, in part because more teams were adopting it.
  • He would lose an advantage in getting personnel (more) easily for his system, because there was more competition in getting those same personnel.
  • He would also lose a one-time advantage he had in bringing a lot of guys along he knew from other teams (in retrospect, it's not clear how big that one was in the first place).

A happy countervailing factor turned out to be that guys would come to join the team just because they wanted to be with an excellent franchise. That kept a big advantage going for quite a while longer, up to and including Randy Moss. It probably continues to be at least somewhat of an advantage to this day.

Then the Pats developed a huge advantage for a little while again by aggressive adoption of the spread offense, and grabbing a major perfect-fit player (Welker) as part of the adoption.

Let's see what he comes up with next.

Beautifull, beautifull dissertation, Bro. Thank you.

On your last: I particularly like the investments in Gronkowski and Hernandez ~ to say nothing of Crumpler.

With Defenses leaning really far out there, in the direction of Faster and Smaller, attacking them with big, blazing blasters like Hernandez and Gronkowski...JUST might catch the rest of the league leaning the wrong way!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back