PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Romeo Crennel get that call to join the Pats defensive staff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On some levels it makes some sense to see RAC back in NE some capacity, but it will never happen as DC. BB develops coaches usually from the ground up. The guys he has in place now are HIS guys....just as much as Romeo was HIS guy back in 2004. Also don't forget that in 2001 and 2003, the Pats ranked in the mid 20's in total defense, so its not like you'd likely see a "dominant" D. In fact those D's were a lot like the one we have now. Mid 20's in total D and top 10 in scoring D, with a great TO ratio.

Next year the defense will likely be a bit more talented and more importantly a lot more experienced. Lets see how Matt Patricia evolves along with his evolving D.

PFK - The Pats were ranked 1st in points allowed and 7th in yards allowed in 2003. You are thinking of 2002 when they didn't have a nose tackle after the Steve Martin debacle.

I think that Patricia has done a good job over-all. He is the one who revised the defense last year against Denver and allowed the Pats to come back and trounce them.

There are issues with the DBs though and it will take time. Mangini was the best DB coach they've had under BB. But there has been improvement this year amongst all the DB (except Arrington when he's playing at CB instead of the Star position).

Last edited:
Please. Crennel is leaps and bounds better than Patricia. As a matter of fact, the last few games, it seems BB has been coaching defense... again. Coincidence?

BB has always coached the Defensive players. Even when Crennel was here. Crennel would call the schemes and BB would throw his 2 cents in at times. Happened more with Mangini than Pees.

Crennel should take a break from the NFL and open up his own Dunkin Donuts franchise.
Yeh, an old style Dunkin with coffee flavored coffee and none of this frappacino, coccocino, maplecino bilge with punks running around wearing berets and writing poetry on laptops.

There, got that off my chest, thank you very much Dennis Leary.

This was in 2005.

The link is gone or I cannot find it.

Uh huh.. You'll forgive me if I doubt the veracity of your statements. Especially considering some of the less than informative poss that you've made lately..

Uh huh.. You'll forgive me if I doubt the veracity of your statements. Especially considering some of the less than informative poss that you've made lately..
Fine by me.

MoLewis and PWPissah read the same thing.

Can we get Penn. State to hire Matt Patricia?:D

I like the current coaches they have now. No offense.

Please. Crennel is leaps and bounds better than Patricia. As a matter of fact, the last few games, it seems BB has been coaching defense... again. Coincidence?

I don't recall when it was, but I seem to remember Tedy Bruschi on E!SPN talking about how BB would give the game plan to them on Wednesday and they'd all be like, "Huh?" Then Romeo would explain it - translate it into English you could say.

Take that with a grain of salt. It was probably at the gym and I was distracted, etc.

You have no clue in the world if Crennel is a better defensive coordinator. You are simply making it up and stating it as fact. I am calling you out on it.

Yes, other than 2001,2003, and 2004 there is no difference between the two.

And another thing, excepting a few murders Charles Manson is harmless.

I must be missing something.

All of this being what it is...

What I'd love would be for the Pats to hire ALL of the Black Monday fired coaches in for a playoff brainstorming session, just to mess with the heads of all of the other team's fans. There would be cries of "cheating again" and "it has to be against the rules" and "Pats always get an unfair advantage" etc etc etc.

All of this being what it is...

What I'd love would be for the Pats to hire ALL of the Black Monday fired coaches in for a playoff brainstorming session, just to mess with the heads of all of the other team's fans. There would be cries of "cheating again" and "it has to be against the rules" and "Pats always get an unfair advantage" etc etc etc.

That would be awesome for the comedy.... 30 day contracts for everyone!

Last edited:
There was definitely a little something that transpired between Charlie and BB after he left. RAC did some disgruntled staff poaching and there was the whole Willie knew he had a job thing that precluded any restructure and resulted in his not finishing up here. And I do recall the owners meeting as well as a combine where RAC and Ratgini were a couple and had no interaction with BB.
I have heard from a very reliable source with a deep connection to BB and Mangini that BB and Weis were the ones who had a conflict and if Weis did not get the ND job, BB was not bringing him back.
I've heard nothing credible about BB/Crenell strife.

Charlie and BB always had a good relationship.
As I menitoned above this is definitely not true.

Perhaps because Charlie was an OC and BB treated him with a whole lot more respect than his predecessor did. And they never competed. That dated back to their Jets days when Parcells treated Charlie like crap. In many ways BB treated RAC with more respect than that same predecessor who never even promoted him to DC did. But I think BB saw a ceiling - perhaps in both - even though he respected their desire to take a shot at HCing and never stood in their way. He once told Holley that once someone had outgrown the job and was focused on achieving the next level they were not as likely to perform as well for him as some young, hungry guy waiting in the wings for a shot at coordinating. I also think there was some ego with RAC given BB got most of the credit for the D.
This is all speculative

Belichick is a lot more likely to dial up Saban for schematic advice. As he did in 2002. It was he, Ernie and Saban kicking around approaches to a potential rematch with the Rams who came up with the Marshall Faulk key and the disrupting Warner's timing via hitting all the receivers concept. RAC's job was to install the concept.
Please provide a link. I have not only never heard this but have never heard it suggested.

RAC was always more of a players coach/father like figure than Bill is, too. And that can be a bit of a negative in a meritocracy where everyone is accountable. Charlie was an SOB who rode players on his side of the ball to perform which I think resonated with Bill.

This is speculating at how the coaches interacted with the players, then further speculating about how that made each other feel, and then specualting that the result of these levels of speculation caused a rift.
You should preceed with "I'm guessing but maybe.."

They may talk. But he won't be back. That ship sailed a long time ago. He wasn't nearly as loyal or supportive after 2007 and spygate as Charlie remained.
How are you measuring the loyalty? You seem to have a result in mind and you are throwing out things and making up the interpersonal relationship surrounding them. There isn't a shred of fact anywhere in sight.

I think RAC was a great teacher and implementer and motivator. Not an X's and O's savant. I think while BB was always OK with their relationship, RAC's ego wasn't entirely. I also recall BB saying perhaps to Holley when asked about the potential effects of losing both of his SB coordinators that as long as he still had Ernie it would be fine.
Again, all speculation, and guessing about the personalities, attitudes and relationships that you have no knoowledge of.

Fine by me.

MoLewis and PWPissah read the same thing.

Not really. Yoiu should reread their posts, neither say they read that BB said no when asked if Crenell would be a good HC.

On some levels it makes some sense to see RAC back in NE some capacity, but it will never happen as DC. BB develops coaches usually from the ground up. The guys he has in place now are HIS guys....just as much as Romeo was HIS guy back in 2004. Also don't forget that in 2001 and 2003, the Pats ranked in the mid 20's in total defense, so its not like you'd likely see a "dominant" D. In fact those D's were a lot like the one we have now. Mid 20's in total D and top 10 in scoring D, with a great TO ratio.

Next year the defense will likely be a bit more talented and more importantly a lot more experienced. Lets see how Matt Patricia evolves along with his evolving D.
So that's why he didn't hire Josh McDaniels back? :rolleyes:

I don't recall when it was, but I seem to remember Tedy Bruschi on E!SPN talking about how BB would give the game plan to them on Wednesday and they'd all be like, "Huh?" Then Romeo would explain it - translate it into English you could say.

Take that with a grain of salt. It was probably at the gym and I was distracted, etc.
I can confirm that - I also heard Tedy say that.

I have heard from a very reliable source with a deep connection to BB and Mangini that BB and Weis were the ones who had a conflict and if Weis did not get the ND job, BB was not bringing him back.
I've heard nothing credible about BB/Crenell strife.

That would explain Charlie hanging out at camp over the last several seasons...

As I menitoned above this is definitely not true.

According to your unnamed source...

This is all speculative

No, much of it is fact. Parcell's was brutal to Weis in NY while Bill befriended him and they traded insights as well as sharing a common bond (being brutalized by Parcells). Did he know both of them needed to go? Absolutely, but he didn't resent that. In fact he welcomed it as he had hungry youngsters waiting in the wings and chafing at the bit whom he didn't want to lose. He was more concerned about losing them because their paths to advance were blocked than he was losing RAC and Charlie. Holley addressed that in Patriot Reign.

Please provide a link. I have not only never heard this but have never heard it suggested.

It was something I recall hearing rather than reading which leads me to believe it was via Holley when he started out at WEEI. And it meshes with what Halberstam recalled Bill saying. That he wasn't concerned about losing coordinators as long as he still had Ernie. There was a quote from RAC himself describing his duties here and his take on their relationship back in 2007 when Cleveland was coming to play a game here. RAC doesn't envision Bill as a mentor, rather as a colleague. That's RAC's ego talking. RAC says he did it all here, installing the game plan, deciding on the players and making the calls. You will note he didn't mention formulating game plans, becuase that was a collaberative effort at best and often based on what Bill and Ernie gleaned from hours of opponent film review and recollection of what certain coaches tendancies were over years and uncovering tells and keys (Ernie's specialty).

This is speculating at how the coaches interacted with the players, then further speculating about how that made each other feel, and then specualting that the result of these levels of speculation caused a rift.
You should preceed with "I'm guessing but maybe.."

Players have stated that RAC was like a father figure. Here when he left and in KC just today... Bill described RAC as a motivator and communicator before he brought his Browns team here in 2007.

How are you measuring the loyalty? You seem to have a result in mind and you are throwing out things and making up the interpersonal relationship surrounding them. There isn't a shred of fact anywhere in sight.

RAC offered to stay on as Mangini's DC in Cleveland. Mangini declined because he had Rob Ryan lined up. Belichick and Pioli don't return Eric's phone calls to this day. Bill probably could have used a system veteran DC a couple of years ago when Pees departed. Instead RAC jumped at the chance to run this defense apart from BB in KC.

Again, all speculation, and guessing about the personalities, attitudes and relationships that you have no knoowledge of.

Actually it was Halberstam he said that to...

It's my opinion, based on lots of anecdotal evidence, which is really all any of us express here, Andy. When RAC said his farewell's today many of his players said he was like a father to them. They got Dad canned. Bill isn't interested in being a father figure, he doesn't care whether they like him personally or not, his job is to put them in a position to win. Halberstam says he got that from his Dad's approach to coaching and even parenting... Demanding and firm but fair.

Actually it was Halberstam he said that to...

It's my opinion, based on lots of anecdotal evidence, which is really all any of us express here, Andy. When RAC said his farewell's today many of his players said he was like a father to them. They got Dad canned. Bill isn't interested in being a father figure, he doesn't care whether they like him personally or not, his job is to put them in a position to win. Halberstam says he got that from his Dad's approach to coaching and even parenting... Demanding and firm but fair.

Again, speculation, which is fine if you identify it as that. Speaking about the relationships of the coaches, their personalities, and how they mesh or do not with no real knowledge is your prerogative, but when you post it as if you know them, and understand their thinking, it is disingneuous.
Of course you would admit this is all your own speculation and you know absolutley nothing about their thoughts, feelings and interactions, but you shouldn't have to be called out to clarify. You should be more clear that when you say you know what they think you mean you are simply guessing.

I heard or read the same statement by Tedy.

But sadly as we learned in this thread, it's not real unless you can find & post a link.

So does this mean that the universe did not exist before the WWW? :confused:

Was the implementation of the World Wide Web the 'real' Big Bang? :eek:

Last edited:
I watched Bill Belichick:A Football Life on NFLN

I thought it was a very well done segment. I found out many things I didn't previously know about BB.I think what most of us have known for years, since the first Super Bowl winning year, is Bill will do whatever it takes to put this team in the best possible position to win.

All this he said/she said drama and innuendo only serves to obscure the only thing that matters...if Rac gives the Patriots a better chance to win it all this season, Bill will bring him on in whatever capacity he sees fit. My personal feeling is Bill will not visit this issue whatsoever this season. I watch this defense play this season and I see a unit maturing as playmakers, a unit with cohesiveness and bad intent. Why screw with the dynamic now? In my opinion, it doesn't make much sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back