PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Romeo Crennel get that call to join the Pats defensive staff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A reporter asked BB if he thought Crennel would make a good HC and BB replied " No."

Link? I'm not saying I don't believe you, but It would shock me for Bill to have such an unguarded moment with the press :eek:

Re: Matt Patricia?

BB was shown on bended knee going over some in game pics with the D late in the game and it's been said Matt Patricia has taken a bit of a backseat lately.

Just curious what others think about this. Not a huge issue but could be interesting with RAC now available.

I'm not sure how much you can take out of that. Belichick worked hands on with the defense even during the Crennel days.

Patricia just doesnt seem "there" yet. But thats a matter of opinion, I understand that.

Look at the personnel he is working with vs. the personnel Romeo worked with. Maybe that will change your opinion.

Look at the personnel he is working with vs. the personnel Romeo worked with. Maybe that will change your opinion.

I've taken that in consideration, I think its a good point. But if Patricia is doing such a great job with these guys, you don't Crennel can do a better one?

BTW- it should also be noted about the differences in the defensive units that RAC coached and the one Patricia leads. RAC got to coach a team of very experienced professionals. Rodney, Law, Milloy, Bruschi, Vrabel, etc. Patricia has been forced to coach virtual children in comparison. That's a big difference that no one is considering.

At no time in RAC's tenure was he using 5 rookies on a regular basis on his defenses. He always had at least 2 seasoned all pros in his secondaries. IIRC, EVERY LB was an experienced guy, and most of the DL. (and it didn't hurt that the DLman that WASN'T a vet, was Richard Seymour) This isn't to slight RAC's accomplishments, but before you make comparison's between him and Patricia, it should be on an apples to apples basis.

Link? I'm not saying I don't believe you, but It would shock me for Bill to have such an unguarded moment with the press :eek:

I cant find it. It may be gone, but Im positive that I read BBs quote. The rift that MoLewis confirms something happened between BB and Crennel.

The quote from BB came directly after the 2004 Super Bowl.

I cant find it. It may be gone, but Im positive that I read BBs quote. The rift that MoLewis confirms something happened between BB and Crennel.

The quote from BB came directly after the 2004 Super Bowl.

I recall the reading (dunno where) the same thing between RAC and BB that you and Mo are talking about. There was at the least a distant coolness between BB and RAC, not to say that over time that may have ameliorated as did BB's initial post Jets estrangement from The Tuner.

BTW- it should also be noted about the differences in the defensive units that RAC coached and the one Patricia leads. RAC got to coach a team of very experienced professionals. Rodney, Law, Milloy, Bruschi, Vrabel, etc. Patricia has been forced to coach virtual children in comparison. That's a big difference that no one is considering.

At no time in RAC's tenure was he using 5 rookies on a regular basis on his defenses. He always had at least 2 seasoned all pros in his secondaries. IIRC, EVERY LB was an experienced guy, and most of the DL. (and it didn't hurt that the DLman that WASN'T a vet, was Richard Seymour) This isn't to slight RAC's accomplishments, but before you make comparison's between him and Patricia, it should be on an apples to apples basis.

Check the post right under you're original post, its been noted.

So my question to you is, do you think Crennel would do a better job with this same group over Patricia? Simple question.

Last edited:
There was definitely a little something that transpired between Charlie and BB after he left. RAC did some disgruntled staff poaching and there was the whole Willie knew he had a job thing that precluded any restructure and resulted in his not finishing up here. And I do recall the owners meeting as well as a combine where RAC and Ratgini were a couple and had no interaction with BB.

You must have read the same story that I did Mo. At the time it seemed the writer had cred like a Len Pasquerelli or similar.

It wasnt some bloated hack like PatsFanKen I can promise you that. Plus, the article wasnt 10 pages long of worthless opinion. His trademark.

Something occurred because there was no reason for Crennel to side with Mangini who everyone knows BB hated.

Charlie and BB always had a good relationship. Perhaps because Charlie was an OC and BB treated him with a whole lot more respect than his predecessor did. And they never competed. That dated back to their Jets days when Parcells treated Charlie like crap. In many ways BB treated RAC with more respect than that same predecessor who never even promoted him to DC did. But I think BB saw a ceiling - perhaps in both - even though he respected their desire to take a shot at HCing and never stood in their way. He once told Holley that once someone had outgrown the job and was focused on achieving the next level they were not as likely to perform as well for him as some young, hungry guy waiting in the wings for a shot at coordinating. I also think there was some ego with RAC given BB got most of the credit for the D.

Not to get off subject but Weis testified against Parcells when BB jumped to NE.

I recall the reading (dunno where) the same thing between RAC and BB that you and Mo are talking about. There was at the least a distant coolness between BB and RAC, not to say that over time that may have ameliorated as did BB's initial post Jets estrangement from The Tuner.

Thanks Pissah.

I cant find the link to confirm. Were talking 2005 here. I think BB was just being honest when asked about Crennel and he was correct.

I would not say Patricia is doing a "good" job. I think average at best. Why do you think BillB is coaching up the D? Because he knows Patricia needs help.

I'd prefer a top notch D-coach to complement BillB. Patricia is NOT one.
Patricia is doing a good job. Its not easy making chicken salad out of chicken sheet when youve got McCourty and Arrington at CB.

The numbers are up. NE is 6th FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2012 DEFENSIVE EFFICIENCY RATINGS vs the run compared to 25th in 2011 FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2011 DEFENSIVE EFFICIENCY RATINGS. The pass D has improved slightly from 28th in 2011 to 24th this year. Bear in mind that Talib and Dennard started at CB later in the season and they held their own for the most part.

I'd love to see Crennel back here for the playoffs a la Josh McDaniels last year - if only to hear other fans complain that the Patriots are somehow breaking rules even though they aren't! :singing:

Of course last year we knew we were going to need a new OC. I would think that Crennel could find a spot here with the title Assistant Head Coach a la Dante - even though he might only work on limited aspects of the D. I think Crennel's years in the league would allow him to serve in that capacity without being deemed a threat by the rest of the D coaching staff - and his insights may be helpful in the playoffs as well.

He can contribute - that's for sure, even if not as the DC

I can confirm Triumph's story as 100% fact as I, myself, am Romeo Crennel.

Crennel and BB had a falling out when Crennel left to HC the Browns.

A reporter asked BB if he thought Crennel would make a good HC and BB replied " No." At the NFL owners meeting shortly after, Mangini and Crennel were cruising the buffet table and they snubbed BB without saying a word.

Maybe things are better now between BB and Crennel, but the Pats like to hire from within and Patricia is doing a good job. So, no to Crennel.

Crennel should take a break from the NFL and open up his own Dunkin Donuts franchise.
Bill Belichick hasn't ever in his life answered a question that directly ("No.") from a reporter. Someone made this up. Not saying it was you, but I'm guessing this anecdote is BS.

You have over 1800 posts on this board. No wonder the Chiefs suck. Get to work! (Too late...)

A reporter asked BB if he thought Crennel would make a good HC and BB replied " No." At the NFL owners meeting shortly after, Mangini and Crennel were cruising the buffet table and they snubbed BB without saying a word.

Maybe things are better now between BB and Crennel, but the Pats like to hire from within and Patricia is doing a good job. So, no to Crennel.

Crennel should take a break from the NFL and open up his own Dunkin Donuts franchise.

It isn't April 1st bucko. BB and Crennel are tight.

Romeo you senile doddering old fool why did you start Brady Freakin' Quinn as your QB and stick with him? That's a decision eclipsed only by Rex Ryan's unholy love for the young, lithe Mark Sanchez.
You DESERVED to be fired

Could you please provide an actual link to this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back