PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Peyton Manning secretly hate Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATS16N0

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I just feel like he does.

Brady is humble and gracious enough to lavish Manning with high praise when asked. Manning keeps his praise to simple things as to not give him too much. "He's got a great work ethic." Admitting someone has a great work ethic isn't going to let people think you think he's better than you are.

That's how Manning always praises Brady. He says what he has to but he plays it close to the hip.

I remember seeing him jumping around like a little kid when the 2007 season Superbowl turned against The Patriots late in the 4th quarter. Sure, his brother was on the other team, but I know he didn't want Brady to win an undefeated season, and after all the praise Brady got during that season, Manning was furious when he got denied his own.

Brady always beats him in head to head. He's done it so often now that it's actually become something fans all over the country "know".

He has three rings. 5 appearances. An undefeated regular season. More impressive stats. More impressive records. Brady just has a better brand. He's the super-elite quarterback for Bill Belichick's New England Patriots and their consistently feared offense. Brady and the Patriots have an aura about them that is unmatched. The Patriots inspire opposing teams to give them their absolute best shot even more than every years defending champions.

Manning is just that really good quarterback, who always choked in the play offs, often laid huge eggs in big games, squeaked in one ring after the NFL and world of sports journalism threw him a huge pity party, eventually got let go by the team that drafted him.

Knowing what I know of Manning's personality, seeing him do things like throw his own offensive line under the bus during a press conference, his pouting, his obvious concern and fixation with his own stats, which old team mates have called him out on, etc.

I just can't help but see a man who is full of it when he gives the expected answer about being "friends" with Tom Brady. I bet he secretly hates him.
Maybe hates a strong word... but I bet he secretly has a huge inferiority complex and hates that Brady is better than him, that people like Bradshaw and Steve Young and Joe Montana and others have said Brady is the best quarterback of all time or the best of his generation.

If the Patriots meet Denver in the post season, Brady will be thinking about getting past Denver to get to the Superbowl. I'd bet you Manning is thinking about getting a win against Tom Brady.

Agree?

Last edited:
Id hate Brady if I was Manning. No one likes to get their ass kicked :)

Id hate Brady if I was Manning. No one likes to get their ass kicked :)

This.

I'm sure Manning does hate Brady. The Patriots denied the Colts so many chances at going to the SuperBowl.

and Brady is the sole QB who gets in the way of Manning being this generations undisputed best.

Looking at Mannings sour **** facial expressions towards Brady, I think its more jealousy and bitterness, rather than hate.

1195536251_peyton.jpg

I think that picture perfectly sums up Brady and Manning. Brady is cool, personable, talking to the media.

Manning is walking away angry and bitter probably mumbling "i hate that guy"

Remember... Manning was the #1 overall pick and viewed as the next great QB. This was supposed to be HIS era of football. Then Brady came out of nowhere..... Wins 3 SuperBowls (defeating the Colts in all those playoffs) before Manning even had 1.

Last edited:
And belichick keeps his lips sealed about everybody. What does that tell you?

I think it's been well documented that they share a mutual respect.

Peyton Manning talking to Tom Brady & Bill Belichick @ Colts/Pats game - 12/04/2011 - YouTube

And didn't Brady say that when he was injured it was Peyton calling him up and giving encouragement.

EDIT: And just to make it clear...i do not like Manning but to say that he hates Brady is just ridiculous. They are the best rivalry in the game and there is bound to be some resentment but that's what sports is all about - you would most likely be a crappy player if you take defeat lightly.

Last edited:
I think he likes his brother.

I agree with the OP.

This is ridiculous. Peyton doesn't hate Brady. The two are actually good friends. I remember Peyton saying how Brady texted & checked on him after he had his neck surgery. He's given Brady his prop several times. Do you want him to flat out say Brady is better than him? Who does that?

I think they secretly hate each other at least a little bit lol. Brady is too much of a competitor to not be annoyed by Manning praise and this MVP talk when he has better numbers.

Manning doesn't hate him in a "I hope nothing but bad things happen to him" type of way.

But more of a Frienemies type of way. Like two co-workers who will shoot the **** by the water cooler..... but when one wins Employee of the Month and gets a raise, the other is resentful and jealous.

Id think Peyton is a bit more bitter just since the Pats owned him and stop him from going to so many SuperBowls in the 2000's

Think on a personal level that Manning and Brady are good friends. On a professional level Manning has great respect for Brady but I have no doubt he is highly envious of TB's career and success.

this is pretty naive. they're competitors. they have mutual respect and they also try to beat each other on the field. their (unnecessary) one on one dinners have been widely reported. when you're at the top of your profession, they're aren't too many people to whom you can talk who "understand" the pressures you're under.

they might or might not become "friends" after they retire. for now they're competitors who like and respect each other but also know they might have to beat the other guy to get what they want.

but "hate?" that sounds like my nine year old talking about another kid in the playground.

Practice Squad, mods?

Last edited:
None of us know what Manning 'secretly' does.

IMHO I can see from Manning's actions on the field that he's an arrogant jerk, especially that whiny face he puts on after something doesn't go his way and the way he seems to be blaming teammates when things don't go his way.

If Manning should take the MVP this year, I think Brady will silently burn inside, congratulate Manning in public, and use it all as motivation to kick his butt each and every time they meet on the gridiron.

If there is an MVP snub and it motivates Brady to continue to kick butt on the field, it's a great thing!

There's going to be a point at which TB takes his cash and his super model wife and his adorable kids and tells the NFL to go pound sand, but if Payton is delaying that day, it's a good thing.

Thanks for the Tread Ignore feature Ian!

Actually, for Manning to say that Brady has a great work ethic, is probably the highest complement that he can give in his mind. I think both have said there is mutual respect and friendship.

Yeah, Peyton hates him for sure. You know that mysterious guy that hangs out with Belichick after games? He's actually there to make sure there's no crowbar-wielding sociopath out to whack Brady in the knees.

Then again, when the forehead wasn't able to do it the Harding way, he definitely got it right in subsidizing Pollard's PED habit in order to get him to do it.

Hatred...

I disagree with some of your examples
2007 Superbowl -- If your little brother beat the team that couldn't be stopped you'd be pretty damn excited too. I bet Peyton would've reacted the same exact way if the team going into the superbowl 18-0 was Pittsburgh or san diego

the good work ethic comments -- find examples where manning has praised other qbs and then maybe you can consider his comment on brady to be a slight. My guess is manning just doesn't publicly praise other people.

Bird and Magic hated each other, until they realized that they were basically the same basketball player toward the end of their careers (ie same drive to win).
Garnett went from being Allen's best friend to not even acknolweding his existence.

Hyper competitive atheletes have 1 goal -- to win, and dislike everything that gets in their way. So I wouldn't be surprised if they do have some resentment, but I don't think its hate on a personal level.

It's also a matter of circumstances -- I'm pretty sure if the Pats had Manning they still would've won 3 superbowls 01-04, so I'm not of the opinion that Brady is any better or worse than Manning.

Last edited:
this is pretty naive. they're competitors. they have mutual respect and they also try to beat each other on the field. their (unnecessary) one on one dinners have been widely reported. when you're at the top of your profession, they're aren't too many people to whom you can talk who "understand" the pressures you're under.

they might or might not become "friends" after they retire. for now they're competitors who like and respect each other but also know they might have to beat the other guy to get what they want.

but "hate?" that sounds like my nine year old talking about another kid in the playground.

Practice Squad, mods?

My reaction to this thread is summed up by:

"Do you think he "likes" him or do you think he "likes-likes" him?????? When's the prom?????

Doubt Manning hates him but at the same time I'm sure there's resentment. Here you have this guy who was groomed to be the NFL's golden child since he was a kid, drafted first overall, has all this talent around him on offense, and he keeps getting crapped on in key moments by this 6th rounder who didn't start all of the games his senior year. Even though it was political at Michigan, it's still probably valid in his mind.

The answer is 'No'. Let's not confuse Manning's competitiveness with "hate". Does Brady hate little brother Eli because the Giants beat the Pats in the SBs? Of course not.

The answer is 'No'. Let's not confuse Manning's competitiveness with "hate". Does Brady hate little brother Eli because the Giants beat the Pats in the SBs? Of course not.

Brady def hates Eli lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye