Welcome to PatsFans.com

Does Money Deserve Respect

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Jun 8, 2008.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

I was watching a commercial before the Celtics game that was sponsored by Cadillac. It had a parking garage security guy kissing some anonymous athlete's butt.

It just made me think about if some athletes who are called "Mr" & "Sir" whereever they go had not made the big time, what would they be called? Let's get right to the point shall we? Do we as Americans believe successful people deserve more respect than the average Joe or Jane?

Here's what I believe;

What I own, do for a living, how much I make, how good looking I am or well spoken I can be...NONE of these things has anything to do with who I am. I am just as good, deserving of respect and every bit as much of a man without any of the above.

I also believe that even if I put every bit of my energy & strength into it, I can never be any "better than" anyone else. I am no better than nor any less than anyone else.

Thoughts?
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

That's very Swedish of you. When I lived in Sweden, I one day put on the tv, and it featured a documentary about the women who clean the bathrooms in the subway station. A colleague explained to me that Swedes are taught they are no better than anyone else. It does lead to a very respectful society, and the wealthy get far fewer perks than they do in other societies.

Certainly wealth is no measure of one's contributions to society, so wealth does not deserve any more respect than poverty. If you call a a person in a Versace suit "Sir" then you should call the homeless person "Sir" as well.
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

MAny people respect those that excel in their field, A lot of guys would like to be athletes they are people who are accomplished in a way we are not.
  4. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

It's a nice "idea" but it's just not how this country works. There is a social hiarchy and everyone assumes their place. It's not right, but that's the way our culture operates.
  5. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

I don't operate that way. I make a conscious effort not to show more respect to those who are successful than those less fortunate.

But I admit, it's very difficult in our society.
  6. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

In all seriousness--if you believe you can never be better than anyone else...what's the point of getting out of bed?

If Kevin Garnett or Vince Wilfork or BB or Donald Trump or Gene Simmons thought that way, what would happen?

It's fine to show the same respect for 'upper class people' or 'successful' people, but I try to reserve my respect for people who deserve it, whether they push a broom or drive one of those stupid Cadillacs.
  7. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

You're right in some ways. We live in a competitive society and being better at your job than the other guy is a great thing and results in many hard-earned rewards.

But I'm referring to the fact that no human is better than another no matter how hard we try. I just think some people act as if they are "better-than" when it's impossible. Being better-at is not the same as thinking you're better than.

I know it's something we all know as fact, but we often get caught up in looking down upon others. I'm as guilty as anyone at times. I think our society breeds that kind of attitude.

On an international level, Americans are no better than anyone else either. Maybe in our minds, but not in reality. The bible even tells us this is true.
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +495 / 2 / -9

Do you think your better than David Duke or Charles Manson---:confused:
  9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

I "feel" like I am, but I know the reality is that I'm not. The kicker here is this; If I actually do feel I'm better than some people, then I have to admit there are people better than me.

If I accept the truth & the reality that no one is better than anyone else, then I never have to feel less than anyone else again. Even if I meet the pope or the president, I know they're not better than me.

If you have any religious beliefs, then I don't have to convince you of this as we all know that God is the only judge and he loves everyone equally, will forgive anyone if they ask and looks at all humans as the same.

if you're atheist, you'll have to figure it out another way.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  10. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't see the big deal...there are people "better" than me. There are people who are much more kind, much more gentle, much more tolerant and so forth. This doesn't mean I'm not a good person, and it does me no harm to know there are people better than me.
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +495 / 2 / -9

I'm a firm believer in a "supreme being" but I don't like "organized religion" (i like god but i don't like churches)

There are some real bad people in this world and I think I am better than them, I also think God agrees with me, after all he made me.

Jesus loves me yes I know
    For the bible tells me so

:bricks:
  12. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Little ones to him belong
    they are weak but he is strong
  13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

ok, all together now....

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya.....

Oh Lord, kumbaya:cool:
  14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +388 / 5 / -2

That's very catholic of you...I was taught to treat EVERYONE with respect. Remember, we're all God's children. ;)
  15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

As men, it always feels corny to make such a statement to other men, but dispite that humbling experience, that is a great perspective of humanity if you can pull it off...I agree though
  16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 8 / -26

NOt sure that these folks deserve respect, but they get respect and it is kind of like beauty it is in the eyes of the beholder...
  17. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +391 / 6 / -9

Two conclusion to draw: I have to admit not to be better than anybody else, or...

I can just say I'm better than everybody else! Yayyyy!

Look around and tell me how many people choose each option, despite the statistical impossibility of the second being true for many people.

This same perversity of human nature also explains the popularity of Ayn Rand books.

Thank you.

PFnV