PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Meriweather not get enough credit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Does Merriweather not get enough credit?

Are you sure about this? While I'd rather get shot in the face than have to watch that play and break it down, I do believe reading/hearing from either a Pats defender or Pats coach that basically the play was designed as an all out blitz and Hobbs was going to be left on an island w/o safety help. Just b/c Meriweather was going over to help doesn't mean he was supposed to be there sooner or was late to help.

I think the play was designed to leave Hobbs out there, Hobbs cut off the slant, the blitz just didn't get there before Manning could throw it up. Risky play call is all.

I am not clear but i heard a few when pees said hobbs was suppose to have help and hobbs was not in coverage. I might be wrong but it was the time some took a poke at him on an interview.

i think i remember Hobbs talking about it saying he had man coverage and he bit but you cant look back..gotta have short memory

This was it, as I recall. I believe I posted a link about it, although my memory could be wrong.

I am not clear but i heard a few when pees said hobbs was suppose to have help and hobbs was not in coverage. I might be wrong but it was the time some took a poke at him on an interview.

YouTube - Plaxico Burress Superbowl Touchdown

wheres Meriweather? Its Hobbs on an island... idk what people are trying to say

Here's what I was talking about. It wasn't a link, it was a repeating of what I'd heard on the radio:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/212155-sean-smith-cb-utah-there-thread-about-him-yet.html#post1269117

Last edited:

Brandon is our best playmaker in the secondary. He still has room to improve, but he's got a lot of pride in how he, and the D plays. He will be really good.

My point was that Meriweather had a chance to stop Keller before the sticks, but seemed to lose track on where it was and allowed him to get over the first down marker. Without know the responsibilities, I don't know if he blew the coverage or Mayo did. In a zone, Mayo's zone may have ended and Meriweather's zone picked up on Keller's route. Or Mayo got burnt.

He did. Merriweather hit him, but didn't bring him down. Which is too bad because he had quite a bit of momentum coming in to make the play.

He obviously has to work on his tackling and he's not very good in man coverage. But he's still the best safety we have and there's no denying that he puts himself in position to make plays on the ball - which is a lot more than can be said for Sanders. He's also proven to be an effective blitzer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes