PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does LoMo cement Pats RB strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the Fred Taylor signing, the Pats have RB pretty well settled. Even if Maroney continues to underachieve they should be fine. The only remaining questions are will we look for an upgrade on Evans and will BJGE make the final roster. I think we can upgrade Evans, but will we want to? And I don't think BJGE makes the final roster with Fred aboard.

I would agree with this. I wanted DeAngelo Williams over Maroney in 2006. Maroney has the talent. Not sure he has the heart or the running style/instincts. If anyone can teach him, it's Fred Taylor.

He's not a bust, he just hasn't lived up to expectations. He has 2 years remaining on a cost-effective contract, and he'll provide some quality yards as part of a stable of RBs. Trading him would be an ineffective move, unless someone ponies up a silly offer. He has a lot of work to do to earn his next contract, though.

Many people felt that giving Maroney the "Zone blocking" that he had in minnesota would make him an instant success with the Pats. However, Maroney has had more success with the in-line blocking schemes that the Pats use than the zone blocking. In my opinion anyways. I honestly don't believe that the people the Pats have on the O-line have the athleticism to do the zone blocking the way that is needed. Much of the pressure that the Giants put on the Pats came directly from stunts by the DEs and the guards being unable to kick over to them to make the block.

This year, after week 8, the Pats switched back to using more in-line blocking schemes.. And it showed in the running game.

Many people felt that giving Maroney the "Zone blocking" that he had in minnesota would make him an instant success with the Pats. However, Maroney has had more success with the in-line blocking schemes that the Pats use than the zone blocking. In my opinion anyways. I honestly don't believe that the people the Pats have on the O-line have the athleticism to do the zone blocking the way that is needed. Much of the pressure that the Giants put on the Pats came directly from stunts by the DEs and the guards being unable to kick over to them to make the block.

This year, after week 8, the Pats switched back to using more in-line blocking schemes.. And it showed in the running game.

You're right his lost yardage plays always seemed to come on the stretch play where he was looking for a cutback lane. Teams that run the zone scheme well develop those lanes sooner they don't get as strung out. seems like he should just hit the corner hard, he tends to flatten out looking for the cutback. We dont run the zone often enough to be as effective with it.

I don't think there is any reason to believe that Maroney will ever be a featured back on any team. Maroney's best chance is to work hard, earn a role in this offense, and hope to develop a skill set that makes him a Faulk-type player.

I haven't given up entirely on Maroney. Faulk struggled for years before he became the most consistent player on this offense. Maroney's got the skills to be successful.

But I will always feel more comfortable with a Morris or Taylor taking the majority of the carries.

I don't think that will be the case. I think that the Pats just didn't pick the right RB for their system. Maroney's style does not fit what BB wants from his running game. Go back and watch what Dillon did for us...THAT IS WHAT BB WANTS FROM HIS BACKS.
I don't know what Maroney's role will be on this team going forward. Maybe, they can use him the way they use Kevin Faulk.

I have to agree with that, though he has been injured. Too early for the made of glass verdict IMO. Running backs do injure legs, toes shoulders etc.

Still, he's a legit home run threat, should improve as a receiver and is not incapable of running with power.

BB does not give up players for nothing because they've had an inconsistent start. Fred Taylor and Sammy are downhill runners and Maroney will keep getting work until he either gets consistent or reaches a contract decision point. He still averages well over 4 yards a carry and people do need to check if they are evaluating his real performance, or a comparison to some magical hall of fame fantasy in their imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back