PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Kevin William's decision bode well for Armstead and Easley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Kevin Williams reportedly took less money to play for seattle, presumably in some sort of rotation. We have three tiers of players at DT, in my opinion.

First tier, formerly injured older pros. No doubt about the NFL readiness of Wilfork and Kelly. Physical readiness/health due to age could be.

Second tier, IMO is Easley and Armstead. Easley, coming back from injury, should be a lock for extended role if healthy. Armstead, not so much, but still highly thought of by Belichick, if healthy. He was projected to be a force, not a backup as far as I know, but nobody knows for sure. Boom or bust, but not just a backup.

Third tier is the young free agents who worked so hard at a difficult time last year. In my opinion, if all the top two tiers spontaneously combust, the third tier is not going to become our starters without a massive manhunt for anyone we can get or trade for. Jones might get some minutes as apass rusher, but if Arm and Easley are healthy, may not. Silinga probably backs up, if we values the backup NT position as much as we used to. Vellano? Don't see it unless worse comes to worse.

So...to the thread title. Kevin Williams is a great pro and a penetrating NT. Goes great with the first tier, if all healthy. No one in the third tier is going to take his snaps. Chris Jones is no Kevin Williams.

So that leaves two players who would impact him to turn down more money, theoretically because they would impact his chances to play. If Armstead and Easley are ready, or close, why would we sit them in favor of a vet who's on the down slope? We wouldn't. Hope my analysis rings true, since it isn't based on any actual medical info.

On fathers Day I went with my family to field day at Gillette Stadium. It also included a tour of the locker room. All the lockers were full except for Armsteads his was empty. Kind of made me wonder if we will ever see him on the field

RayClay, it's an encouraging idea, but we have absolutely no insight into why Williams chose Seattle. Maybe he was sick and tired of a northern winter schedule. Maybe he liked the Seahawks' position coaches. Maybe his wife preferred Seattle to Boston. Etc., etc.

IMO it's a pretty huge leap to think it says anything about Easley and Armstead, who are quite different styles of players from Williams to begin with.

RayClay, it's an encouraging idea, but we have absolutely no insight into why Williams chose Seattle. Maybe he was sick and tired of a northern winter schedule. Maybe he liked the Seahawks' position coaches. Maybe his wife preferred Seattle to Boston. Etc., etc.

IMO it's a pretty huge leap to think it says anything about Easley and Armstead, who are quite different styles of players from Williams to begin with.

They are penetrating tackles. He is a penetrating tackle. if they demand playing time, who loses it?

On fathers Day I went with my family to field day at Gillette Stadium. It also included a tour of the locker room. All the lockers were full except for Armsteads his was empty. Kind of made me wonder if we will ever see him on the field

We will see Randy Moss back in a Pats uniform before we see Armstead in a Pats uni. Don't think he will ever touch the field.

We will see Randy Moss back in a Pats uniform before we see Armstead in a Pats uni. Don't think he will ever touch the field.
I believe that his locker is empty.

i think easley will be ok at some point (just my guess)....im less optimistic about armstead, whether its the infection or his heart or whatever....im disappointed that Williams chose Seattle for less money even though he will be part of a "rotation" there just like he would be here

maybe he chose seattle because he thought they were better SB contenders (reasonable) or maybe he just thought that he would like it more there.....multiple patriot players have commented on how NE is not the easiest place to play (physically or mentally)....I think some of these guys would just rather go to a more player friendly laid back team.....most players are not like bruschi and harrison, who seemed to relish being coached hard and practicing hard

just my opinion

Well, Wilfork and Kelly are doing 11 on 11 drills today according to 98.5. So there seems to be little worry about them.

I think Vellano is all but gone. He started the year surprisingly well, but got worse as the season went along. I think he is going to be an odd man out no matter what.

Armstead is a question mark. I think he is on the bubble. He needs to be ready at the start of training camp and needs to make an impact.

I think Easley will be ready for the start of camp. Watching video of his Pro Day, it would be shocking that he wasn't ready for the start of camp. Also, he was announced as a DE at the draft which means the Pats may see him as that position.

I still think though that the Pats were interested in Williams in trying to copy the Seahawks' system of a lot of d-linemen and rotating them like crazy. I don't know if adding him would be concerns about anyone on the roster. I could see the Pats carrying 5-6 DTs as long as some have position flexibility (like Easley) with at least a couple of them.

I think I have to agree with patchick that while it is an encouraging thought and likely had something to do with his choice we have no way of knowing what truly drove his decision and it obviously would be a combination of a lot things and it is to cloudy a picture to read anything out of Williams decision.

On the flip side the fact that BB was willing to pay more than seatle for him says something about his feelings about the position. But there is a lot that goes into this too and hard to paint a brush on anyone specific just because he wanted depth and competition.

Obviously I know nothing, I'm just speculating. With all our returning injured and the addition of Revis and Browner, I would think we're as good a guess to go all the way as Seattle to a vet.

Of course I'm pessimistic about Armstead, but he's not been cut for some reason.

This happened since this morning?
I don't think anyone has seen Armstead for 3 weeks. I would certainly be happy to be corrected.

They are penetrating tackles. He is a penetrating tackle. if they demand playing time, who loses it?
You think rookies can demand playing time from Bill Belichick?

I think Easley will be ready for the start of camp. Watching video of his Pro Day, it would be shocking that he wasn't ready for the start of camp. Also, he was announced as a DE at the draft which means the Pats may see him as that position.

Whoever Nick Caserio gave the card to announced him as a DE, over the phone calling the pick in, Caserio referred to him as a defensive linemen. Goodell saying DE is Goodell or someone else doing their own thing, not the Patriots', so it's definitely not something to waste much thought on.

Theres a video of it on patriots.com with Caserio calling the pick in.

Personally, I think the story is either completely fabricated or exaggerated that the Patriots offered Kevin Williams more than Seattle did. If it is the case, I think the decision benefits Tommy Kelly, Chris Jones, and Sealver Siliga the most. Easley is going to make the team and have every opportunity to play and play a lot, Armstead is an enigma, I really do not think Belichick would still have Armstead here if he did not see tremendous promise in him.

They can demand it by outplaying the veterans in camp, and in practice. If Easley and/or Armstead outplay the veterans, they will DEMAND playing time.

If the poster were referring to demanding it verbally, then I would say not.

I agree we do not know but I would have to guess it has something to do with the Patriots having –

- Wilfork
- Kelly
- Easley
- Armstead
- Siliga
- Jones
- Vellano

And the Seattle Seahawks have –

- Mebane
- McDaniel
- Hill
- J Williams
- Smith
- Cherrington

He stands to play a lot more in Seattle unless a player like Jessie Williams breaks out.

I don't think anyone has seen Armstead for 3 weeks. I would certainly be happy to be corrected.

He was talked about in today's presser. I'm not saying he's anything except still on the team, which he wouldn't be if there wasn't a chance of him playing IMO.

I didn't mean demand in that sense. I think Easley is certainly being counted on to provide something different than Wilfork and Kelly if he's healthy. If Easley and Armstead are healthy (hypothetically) I imagine they would vie for playing time with Williams and there aren't that many snaps.

I believe that his locker is empty.

This happened since this morning?

He was talked about in today's presser. I'm not saying he's anything except still on the team, which he wouldn't be if there wasn't a chance of him playing IMO.

I meant to put these links in yesterday, sorry for the delay.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick complimentary of Armond Armstead's work - espnBoston

Armstead participated in practice on a limited basis during the first week of organized team activities (OTAs) but hasn’t been spotted on the field since. With his well-documented injury history, his absence has been particularly notable.

Bill Belichick: Armond Armstead has faced a lot of adversity since signing with New England Patriots | masslive.com

One mystery that may or may not be solved during this week's minicamp is the status of Armond Armstead.

Signed out of the Canadian Football League last year, the defensive tackle was expected to serve as the top backup to Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly last season. Things fell apart, however, when Armstead contracted an unidentified infection and was shut down for the season.

Since then, he has been seen walking through the locker room at various times, and was spotted on the field three weeks ago at an organized team activity, but has not been seen by the media since.

Asked about Armstead Tuesday morning, head coach Bill Belichick revealed no secrets...

The Patriots begin mandatory minicamp this afternoon. Belichick would not say if he expects everyone to be on the field.

"We'll see," Belichick said. "Hopefully."​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes