PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Hoyer = Cassel part 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think hoyer would make a great backup there was 1 throw that almost got picked but besides that i didnt even see him make any mistakes.............him and lawfirm i think performed amazingly

Hoyer doesn't have the physical tools of Cassel.

I will certainly agree with you about that. Matt Cassel was the picture perfect high level signing on a national collegiate power. Unfortunately so were Carson Palmer and Matt Lienart at the time. When the Pats picked him up in the 7th round, it wasn't because he was physically under-equipped. Matt had obvious first round physical talents. He just was stuck in playing behind two Heismann Trophy winners, and had no experience.

Hoyer is more like Tom Brady; a spindly, weaker arm QB, who had plenty of competition at Michigan and actually had to share the slot with a All American type, who never quite took the job away from him, but always seemed about to do so. Brady wasn't much to look at as a rookie. His arm was only good enough. His body looked like he couldn't' handle a single big hit from an NFL lineman.

Hoyer like Brady before him, needs time in the weight room. Although his proportion match that of Mike Sanchez a First round pick of the Jest, they are not ideal at 6-2 and 225. He has faced adversity like both Brady, and Cassel.

Hoyer had to struggle with an untalented cast, and try to win with out-manned squads, at Michigan State. It made him mentally tougher.

Brady had to struggle to keep his job at Michigan, even though he usually won. It made him mentally tougher.

Cassel had to face the fact that he was a smidgen less talented, than the starting Heismann winners and adjust to that. It made him mentally tougher.

Brady's POISE forced Belichick to do the unthinkable and carry four QBs, when the team was much weaker, so there was room to do so.

Hoyer's POISE forced Belichick to do the unthinkable and to dump a third round draft pick, the heir apparent QB, to make room for him.

There are lots of similarities.

Last edited:
Hoyer's POISE forced Belichick to do the unthinkable and to dump a third round draft pick, the heir apparent QB, to make room for him.

When did Belichick announce this? You are just making this up. O'Connell was most likely dumped because he was not where Belichick wanted him to be. If the reason he dumped O'Connell was to make room for Hoyer, wouldn't have made more sense to cut Andrew Walter over O'Connell? If O'Connell had any real talent for this offense, why not keep him and groom him for a trade next year when he could show more to make him attractive for a trade?

Seriously, I think it is a long stretch that O'Connell was cut to make room for Hoyer. I think O'Connell was cut because he clearly looked lost out there against the Redskins and not a heck of a lot better vs. the Bengals.

Last edited:
It would make very little sense to cut a promising veteran to keep an underdeveloped 2nd year player and a rookie as Brady's backups.

As already mentioned, Cassel didn't leapfrog Flutie until late in the season. But Hoyer at least has an excellent shot to keep the UDFA string alive.

His pocket composure is what strikes me most -- he looked remarkably calm out there, even in the face of a rush. He only took off and ran when the running was good, etc. etc.

It's funny though, after getting used to Brady, Cassel, O'Connell and Walter, Hoyer looks like a midget!

One of those long completions to Nunn impressed me the most- a pass rusher had a full head of steam and a clear path to Hoyer, and he stood right in and put the ball up. Got crushed, but the pass was beautiful.

As already mentioned, Cassel didn't leapfrog Flutie until late in the season. But Hoyer at least has an excellent shot to keep the UDFA string alive.

His pocket composure is what strikes me most -- he looked remarkably calm out there, even in the face of a rush. He only took off and ran when the running was good, etc. etc.

It's funny though, after getting used to Brady, Cassel, O'Connell and Walter, Hoyer looks like a midget!

It's not very difficult to leap frog over a gnome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing