PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Hoyer = Cassel part 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartmac36

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I mean the long shot QB who becomes the backup in his first season? It certainly looks like it could turn out that way...

I mean the long shot QB who becomes the backup in his first season? It certainly looks like it could turn out that way...

You can't jump to that conclusion based on one performance. But the kid looks like he has similar tools. Most importantly he has poise and brains, and those are two of the most important qualities you can have to QB this offense. The test will be if he progresses. KOC didn't. Cassel did. This kid just looks closer to prototype.=

And Cassel wasn't the #2 his first season. Flutie was the #2. What he developed into was a guy BB could trust to be the #2 behind Brady with no #3 on the roster. (They added Vinny down the stretch but that was because they had room and wanted a veteran presence who could mentor the kid and step in for a quarter if there was an in game injury and the kid struggled. They would have coached Cassel up to go the rest of the way - he was the #2 and Vinny was #3.)

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for Michael Bishop to = Randall Cunningham part 2

i think hoyer + patriots= awesome but not cassel just yet...he needs to start losin some preseason games first :p

I'm just gonna stick this here:
Mangina is playing for OT vs the Bears

I go to MSU so tonight was awesome, I hope Hoyer succeeds. It's already great seeing him beat out a third round draft pick that had a year in the system.

As already mentioned, Cassel didn't leapfrog Flutie until late in the season. But Hoyer at least has an excellent shot to keep the UDFA string alive.

His pocket composure is what strikes me most -- he looked remarkably calm out there, even in the face of a rush. He only took off and ran when the running was good, etc. etc.

It's funny though, after getting used to Brady, Cassel, O'Connell and Walter, Hoyer looks like a midget!

Is Edelman really a lock?

As already mentioned, Cassel didn't leapfrog Flutie until late in the season. But Hoyer at least has an excellent shot to keep the UDFA string alive.

His pocket composure is what strikes me most -- he looked remarkably calm out there, even in the face of a rush. He only took off and ran when the running was good, etc. etc.

It's funny though, after getting used to Brady, Cassel, O'Connell and Walter, Hoyer looks like a midget!

Imagine what'll happen if they line up Edelman (5'10.5") at QB. :)

Is Edelman really a lock?

Here are the players who didn't play. I'll allow you to draw your own conclusions.

WR 11 J.Edelman
QB 12 T.Brady
WR 13 J.Galloway
QB 16 A.Walter
RB 21 F.Taylor
CB 22 T.Wheatley
CB 23 L.Bodden
CB 24 J.Wilhite
CB 29 S.Springs
S 31 B.Meriweather
RB 33 K.Faulk
RB 34 S.Morris
S 36 J.Sanders
RB 39 L.Maroney
LB 49 D.Burgess
LB 51 J.Mayo
LB 59 G.Guyton
G 61 S.Neal
OL 63 D.Connolly
C 67 D.Koppen
G 70 L.Mankins
T 72 M.Light
NT 75 V.Wilfork
T 77 N.Kaczur
WR 81 R.Moss
WR 83 W.Welker
TE 86 D.Thomas
TE 87 C.Baker
DL 91 M.Pryor
DL 93 R.Seymour
DL 94 T.Warren
LB 95 T.Banta-Cain
LB 96 A.Thomas
DL 97 J.Green
LB 98 S.Crable
DL 99 M.Wright

I think Hoyer had a chance to put himself either on the p.s. with a poor performance tonight or on the 53 with a good one. I think he may have put himself on the 53, but it's hard to say. We sure did expose him, for good or bad, if the team does end up trading for a Feeley or whoever. I'm pretty sure he'll slip through waivers, though, so whatever.

How's that for canny insight?!

No. I said "I'll allow you to draw your own conclusions." :)

Ok. I don't think he is. How was that suppose to help me draw a conclusion if I may ask?:cool:

Hoyer doesn't have the physical tools of Cassel.

Hoyer doesn't have the physical tools of Cassel.

I think they are more similar than you think...sure Cassel is taller and maybe a little faster, but they can both move when necessary and Hoyer actually looks like he has better pocket presence...maybe cause he started in college...

I think they are more similar than you think...sure Cassel is taller and maybe a little faster, but they can both move when necessary and Hoyer actually looks like he has better pocket presence...maybe cause he played a full game in college...

Fixed your post for you. ;)

Ok. I don't think he is. How was that suppose to help me draw a conclusion if I may ask?:cool:
Because on everyone the list is going to make the 53, including Morris.

Last edited:
I think some of you are either so new to this team or so ADHD you've misremembered Cassel's rookie pre season...And his second one. And the third. All you remember is that last pre season he couldn't move a first team missing a couple of key pieces and playing collectively like crap. You all fell in love with the young gun(slingers) who found a way to move the chains. When all BB wanted them to do was show him they could make the right reads and decisions regardless of outcome.

Hoyer certainly has some things to work on. But overall he showed the coaches he could run this offense. He got better as the evening went on. Didn't make the same mistakes over and over. His next goal will be to show them it wasn't a fluke. I think they already have an inkling it isn't. But who knows what his ceiling is. He did improve against 3rd and 4th stringers. He won't see 1st stringers again god willing until next August, barring some blowout time.

He's definitely on the roster, though... And the word among media who should know is they like Walter enough to have decided he is the #2. They just wanted to see if this kid was worthy of a roster spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes