PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Everyone Remember Their First Game ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
September of 96 vs Jacksonville. They blew a big lead, almost lost on a hail mary at the end of the game (after surrendering a hail mary at the end of the first half) and AV won the game in OT, after missing a PAT earlier in the day.

My next one will be my first one. :)

I recall the Pats pasting the Jets by 55-21 in the late 70s while I was in college (or it might have been the following year 56-3 game, but I distinctly recall Harold Jackson playing a big part). But alas, I'm not sure if there was another game I first attended in this same era... I saw a handful as my college roommate had "half-season" tickets.

Anyhow, I don't recall the names or anything, but I recall a Jet seemingly catching a touchdown before getting seriously bashed by a Patriot defender causing him to drop the ball for an incompletion.

edit: I also recall how the usual "TASTES GREAT...LESS FILLING" chant that typically occurred between the endzone seats and one corner of the grandstand was changed to "TASTES GREAT...JETS SUCK" in honor of the esteemed opponent, which makes me think this not in fact my first game.

Last edited:
My first game was in 1985 against the Bengals (yes it was the game that sent us to the playoffs and our first super bowl as well as the game where the fans were electrocuted carrying the goalposts) Interestingly enough I came across the ticket stub to this game recently when I was cleaning up some old papers. I got my tickets through a connection with Derwin Williams who was a backup wide receiver on the team. He had them leave them for me at will call. The tickets are still in the old Crimson Travel envelope with my name and his name on it. Pretty cool stuff. BTW for anybody there that day there were a TON of fights all over the stands, which was a shock for me at the time . Everybody would stand up to see it and then sit down. When I graduated and had enough money 5 years later to get season tickets I thought the crowd in the early 90's was even more unruly (but I loved every minute of it.) I was a season ticket holder for an NFL team ...my team !!!I do remember all the attractive women sitting around me and after a while it dawned on me they were the players wives and girlfriends. You would think the players would get the best seats but I was sitting in the 300 level.:eek:

Last edited:
yeah, i went with my dad to the monday nighter back in 04 when Miami had that upset..:[

Ever since, I do what I can to make it to the Miami trip.

.My First Patriots Game was the year before they moved to Foxboro and it was at Harvard Stadium.The Opponent was Johnny Unitas and The Baltimore Colts.

Hey, funny thing - that also was the first pro game I ever went to. It was in 1970, I was on leave from the Air Force at the time. I remember Unitas threw a TD pass and the Colts won.

I’m a diehard Celtics fan and have had season tickets for years even through some rather.. not so great years, I have always been a Patriots fan but never went to a game until the snow bowl which needless to say was unreal. Every since I have been going to 2-4 games a year not counting playoffs.. THERE IS ONLY ONE FEBRUARY

My first-ever game: September 1971, Chicago Bears at Minnesota Vikings in old Metropolitan Stadium. Kent Nix threw two late touchdown passes to **** Gordon in the Bears' come-from-behind 20-17 win. A really exciting game.

First Pats game: October 1988, Bears at New England. Flutie completed 6 of 18 passes, four for touchdowns, as the Patriots won 30-7. Jim McMahon got knocked out of that game. I'll never forget the first play from scrimmage, a picture-perfect 80-yard touchdown pass from Flutie to Irving Fryar -- beautiful arcing spiral. This was right before Ditka's heart attack later that week; I remember him going ballistic on backup QB Mike Tomczak on the sidelines.

I'll never forget my first game. It was the 1999 home opener against the Colts, and arguably Drew Bledsoe's last great game as a Patriot. My boss at the time was a season ticket holder, and offered me up the tickets because he had to go to a wedding that Sunday. He sold them to me at face value $75!... I gave two to my uncle and little cousin, and I went with my friend who was in College at the time. Lucky for me he was attending Bryant University, and we'd be close to the stadium. We got so drunk with his college friends the night before we didn't need beer the next day.

For anyone who remembers that game...Peyton lit up the D in the first half to take a 21-0 lead. The O did manage to cut it to 21-7 late in the 2nd quarter on a TD pass to Shawn Jefferson, but the Colts came right back and they went into Halftime down 28-7. I remember standing in the smoker's corner with my friend biatching with everyone else how they were gonna get blown out. Then the 2nd half starts and the game turned from the Peyton Manning show, to the Drew Bledsoe Show. Bledsoe and the defense were flawless. The O scored 21 unanswered points, and Vinatiari kicked the game winner in the closing minutes. Unbelievable. Regardless of how that season turned out, you couldn't ask for a better first ever game to go to.

I haven't been to a regular season game since. I did go to the 03 preseason opener against the Giants, but it wasn't the same. I made a Superbowl prediction out of a bed sheet, but I have no idea if it got on camera or not.

Lucky for me, I have great friends, and will be attending my second regular season game this October vs. Denver. I can't wait!!!!

Your Dad must be proud of you.......

He is proud of me for many reasons but I think in this case he is more proud of himself and what he turned out (3 boys equally devoted to the Pats as he and his father)

I know my older brother who just recently got engaged has said that there is some serious pressure in trying to keep the line going. I told him not to worry the season tickets work their own magic. He had the benifit of the 86 title run to help him fall in love so he doesn't neccessarily realize how strong it can be because he fell in love with a really good team. I fell in love with the 1-15 team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes