PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does everyone realize that ALL AFC East contenders looked far from great in week 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
There is deep concern and worry around New England with the lackluster performance against the Rams but did anyone here actually take notice that in the VERY SAME WEEK,The week that the starters play most of the preseason game that the Jets for the second week in a row had struggled mightly on offense while losing to a team that won 4 games last year and the Dolphins getting beat as well by a team that also was not very good last year and could not stop the Pats 2 weeks ago and barely beat the Jags last week?

Does that mean if the Bills pound the Bengals tonight with thier starters playing,that we should crown the Bills the early AFC Champs?.

I mean if we are going to base a team on thier total performance from week 3 of the preseason then maybe there the AFC East division champ will go 8-8 because all 3 main contenders were all well below expectations this week.

Lets all just relax and say that all 3 teams did not play well and probably are not showing all thier cards.

NO AFC East team showed much this week,In fact at least the Pats had a chance to win in the very end had the Rams kicker missed.

Last edited:
Re: Does everyone realize that the WHOLE AFC East contenders looked not so great?

To be fair, the Dolphins stopped Atlanta's first string offense on a number of occasions last night (Ryan was 5/15 at one point) while the Jets defense has also looked impressive. Meanwhile the Pats first string defense allowed the Rams second string offense to drive down the field at will while making Bradford look like an All-Pro. Now, I'm not freaking out about it the way some around here are. After all, it's a preseason game. But it is something to worry about at this point. Especially for those of us who have had their fair share of concerns about this defense all offseason.

On a positive note, though, Brace looked awesome at DE. Glad to hear it's only a sprained ankle.

Re: Does everyone realize that the WHOLE AFC East contenders looked not so great?

To be fair, the Dolphins stopped Atlanta's first string offense on a number of occasions last night (Ryan was 5/15 at one point) while the Jets defense has also looked impressive. Meanwhile the Pats first string defense allowed the Rams second string offense to drive down the field at will while making Bradford look like an All-Pro. Now, I'm not freaking out about it the way some around here are. After all, it's a preseason game. But it is something to worry about at this point. Especially for those of us who have had their fair share of concerns about this defense all offseason.

On a positive note, though, Brace looked awesome at DE. Glad to hear it's only a sprained ankle.

They say that games don't really count until december but I beleive that this YOUNG team needs to start out of the gate well as many a young player in his rookie year fades a little bit near the end of the season.

If this teams record is anything less than 4-3 nearing the halfway mark (4-3 which is exactly the record where I expect them to be by the beginning of week 8) - we can start to wonder about the team getting double digit wins in 2010.

Last edited:
Re: Does everyone realize that ALL AFC East contenders looked far from great in week

watched a lot of the Jets-Skins game, not only did Sanchez get a lot of PT, McNabb was out and the Jets O could barely move the ball

Re: Does everyone realize that ALL AFC East contenders looked far from great in week

I don't think anything really ... I like what I have seen so far. We don't run plays trying to set up situations. We use situations to run plays to gain experience. Belichick teams don't really show what they are until weeks 6-8 and this year will be no exception. Except for the passing game ... that will be full bore from week 1 unless there are injuries.

Heh, don't look now but Spiller is tearin' it up for the Bills. ;)

WEEI's Christopher Price comments on this topic.

No Offense: AFC East Powerhouses Struggle In Preseason Play

In the third week of the preseason — the week where the starters play the most and the intensity level most closely resembles the regular season — the Patriots, Dolphins and Jets all struggled while posting losses at home. One night after New England posted a 36-35 preseason loss to St. Louis on Thursday, Miami had issues of their own in a 16-6 defeat to Atlanta. Meanwhile, the New York Jets turned the ball over four times and suffered a 16-11 defeat to Washington on Friday.

In particular, in the final dress rehearsal for each starting offense, all three teams showed some vulnerabilities that must be addressed before the season opens in two weeks:

Click to read the rest ...

I know the Bills took a lot of criticism for not taking a Quarterback or Offensive Lineman with their first pick, but Spiller looks pretty damn good.

I know the Bills took a lot of criticism for not taking a Quarterback or Offensive Lineman with their first pick, but Spiller looks pretty damn good.

Indeed. If Edwards can keep from getting his brains scrambled and stay consistent, they could be a decent offense this year. That's not to say that they won't still finish last in the East though.

Watched the mighty JETS vs the vaunted juggernaught that is Rex Grossperson. Jets D pretty good, completely stuffing the Skins running game although Grossman had time to pass and was completing some except for the ones where he missed wide open guys. He must be watching the notably erratic and sometimes barn door inaccurate McNabb in practise too much.

Meanwhile, the Jets offense sputters bigtime. Jets announcers blathering on about how Sanchez needs to cut down on his number of interceptions this year and how he is maturing in his decision making just as he 'misses' on a pass into the EZ. WTF? Anyhow they're discussing the interceptions thingy and on that very play WHOOPS! The Sanchise throws a pick in the Red Zone killing the drive. Freakin Classic!!!

Anyhow they're discussing the interceptions thingy and on that very play WHOOPS! The Sanchise throws a pick in the Red Zone killing the drive. Freakin Classic!!!

Some pundits opine that Sanchez is going to have a great sophomore season, but I predict year two of the Sanchise will be full of epic LOLz.

Last edited:

Some pundits opine that Sanchez is going to have a great sophomore season, but I predict year two of the Sanchise will be full of epic LOLz.

So, you're a Colts fan?

There's only been a few teams in week three that have looked genuinely good. As much as this week is a perceived "hit out" no smart coach is going to show his hand. I'm not concerned in the slightest.

Last edited:

The patriots won the division last year. Almost all the pundits have us as division winners or at worst at a tie with the jets with regard to chances at winning the division. We are in reasonable position to get into the playoffs; we should be division favorites as we have been every year since 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back