PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Edelman have RB potential?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys like Faulk are built quite differently than Edelperson. There IS a difference between launching yourself fwd into an onrushing LB to create a max impact collision that seriously delays his progress vs geting hit, even over the middle where like most slot receivers you're trying to avoid max impact on the hit.

It will be interesting to watch how KC uses Dexter McCluster, who was considered a combo 3rd-down back/WR. Edelman is both bigger and quicker than McCluster.

KC was trying to run his inside vs Atlanta the other night without success. Once they let him run outside, he was way more effective. He only weighs 170 lbs.

The game was horrid and I turned it off, so I didnt see if KC tried to pass him the ball.

Join me in a head scratching moment....

The "obvious" answer is a question: on any given play, who would you rather have throwing the ball? TFB or JFE?

That said, Edelman to Welker for a touchdown would be beyond hilarious. :D

He is a perfect wildcat player, with his quartrbacking abilities.

As another poster already pointed out and as I believe Kraft said no need to take the ball out of Brady's hand.

And I think last year they were more worried about teaching him WR duties and not some wildcat type plays (NON QB of course see above statement).

But I think our seeing him lineup in the backfield this year is no fluke and I think there will definitely be a few select trick plays out of the package though I think it would be rare to have someone other than Tom throw.

Edelman isnt gointo have his position changed. And as much as poster on this board think RB doesnt require and skill or vision, he has zero exprience at a position where decision making on the move is critical.

The reason you would see Edelman 'working as a RB' in camp is that we probably have some plays in the playbook where he lines up there to create a mismatch. If you put Welker, Moss, Tate at WR and Faulk and Edelman in the backfield vs a likely man defense you can get Edelman on a LB or S. You could also run a more traditonal screen pass to him, which would seem to be effective.

The reason you would see Edelman 'working as a RB' in camp is that we probably have some plays in the playbook where he lines up there to create a mismatch.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. If BB can isolate Edelman on a LBer then that is a huge mismatch and should become a bigger play. Even if the other team has to call a presnap time out to adjust personnel, that is still a win for BB.

Given Edelmen's shiftiness and QB back ground, we really need to start training him to be a FG holder. Just think of the havoc he could cause opposing defenses if they have to respect the fake. Talk about a mismatch!

I think you have hit the nail on the head. If BB can isolate Edelman on a LBer then that is a huge mismatch and should become a bigger play. Even if the other team has to call a presnap time out to adjust personnel, that is still a win for BB.

Given Edelmen's shiftiness and QB back ground, we really need to start training him to be a FG holder. Just think of the havoc he could cause opposing defenses if they have to respect the fake. Talk about a mismatch!
I love that idea.
Remember when BB was in Cleveland, and he had Tupa, a former QB as his holder?
When the 2 point conversion can into the NFL, he had Tupa take the PAT snap as holder, stand up and run up the middle for 2 points.
I keep expecting to see that one, with Edleman holding that could happen. (and Mesko could too since he is 6'5 235)

I love that idea.
When the 2 point conversion can into the NFL, he had Tupa take the PAT snap as holder, stand up and run up the middle for 2 points.
I keep expecting to see that one, with Edleman holding that could happen. (and Mesko could too since he is 6'5 235)

BB likes to have his punter be the holder so that they can practice more without needing to take someone out of there own drills.

BB likes to have his punter be the holder so that they can practice more without needing to take someone out of there own drills.

Yep, the same reason he keeps a dedicated long snapper.

SSDD

I love that idea.

Let Zoltan do it, not Edelperson

He has potential... potential to be a Wildcat QB, Return man and WR.

You cannot expect him to play RB, look at his build, if you look at Faulk you can see he is build like a RB, Edelman is build like a WR.

I don't to see him take any kind of punishment, also with Welker's age and the recovery he might lost some explosiveness, and he wasn't very gifted to begin with, i want Edelman to focus on been the best receiver he can be, for our future.

Edelman's famous end-arounds and reverses is a brand I could get used to

Last edited:
Which still makes me wonder how not once did we see such a play last season.

Because running the Wildcat requires either:

1. Taking Brady off the field.
2. Putting Brady at a non-QB position (presumably WR).

Both options have serious drawbacks.

If Brady were, horror of horrors, seriously injured again, I'd like to see a Wildcat package instituted quickly. But otherwise it doesn't seem like much of a priority.

I gather that the only reason Edelman practiced a few times with the running back because they needed an additional player to even out the numbers.

As someone else posted, if he lines up in he back field he will go in to motion and draw a mis-match in coverage..

I did some research to see how dynamic a runner Julian Edelman was in college.

It turned up some eye-opening statistics.

Edelmen threw for 4000 yards, and rushed for 2450 yards as a QB in college, at Kent State in 31 games. So he averaged 85 yards a game rushing. But he was a Community College transfer who compiled another 1300 yards rushing there too.

There was a significant record that he holds. He broke the resident multi-year Probowl returner Josua Cribbs records, for all purpose yards at Kent State!

I think that Julian could be taught blitz pickup blocking, just like Kevin was; and become his eventual successor as a League-leading third down and change of pace RB. Since he threw for 4000 yards, he would probably be a genuine threat at the HB option pass too,something that Kevin doesn't do. :eek::eek::eek:

I'm kinda late jumping into this thread and haven't read all the posts, but my two cents is that he will not play RB except for maybe a play or two.

I see Edelman as the next Deion Branch. People compare him to Welker, but I think his skill set is more like Branch's. I think Edelman is speedy and makes people miss him. Welker is shifty and just knows how to let people bounce off of him. Branch was more speedy and made people miss him.

I really hope Edelman gets to have more shots outside other than just screens. I think he can run those quick outs and slants that have been missing since Branch left. Welker runs slants, but different ones and usually from the slot.

I'm kinda late jumping into this thread and haven't read all the posts, but my two cents is that he will not play RB except for maybe a play or two.

I see Edelman as the next Deion Branch. People compare him to Welker, but I think his skill set is more like Branch's. I think Edelman is speedy and makes people miss him. Welker is shifty and just knows how to let people bounce off of him. Branch was more speedy and made people miss him.

I really hope Edelman gets to have more shots outside other than just screens. I think he can run those quick outs and slants that have been missing since Branch left. Welker runs slants, but different ones and usually from the slot.

So soon we forget Troy Brown whose skills Edelperson reminds me of the most.

I wouldn't mind this being true, especially if their careers are roughly the same length, too. :)

I guess I can see Troy Brown although Branch and Brown were similiar, but not exactly the same type of player. I guess we will see. I think Edelman is quicker than Brown and so was Branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes