PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Edelman deserve a spot on the 53 going forward?

you can't take him off punt returns! he's the all time leader!

Sure .But until he is the only healthy WR , I would protect him a bit more. It has nothing to do with his ability.

Sure .But until he is the only healthy WR , I would protect him a bit more. It has nothing to do with his ability.

I can certainly appreciate this reasoning if Amendola is going to miss more than another game or two.

Between Amendola and Edelman, we should be able to get a full season out of the slot position one way or another, even if it's not via the traditional route.

He punt-returned and jumped right back into the offense as Brady's first target.

Edelman can play over the middle if Brady needs it, he's perfectly capable... the only difference is that tonight Edelman played WR1 in a circumstance that Welker never had to...

Edelman was put in a difficult situation and he rose to the challenge. He's extremely valuable to this roster right now.

But hot damn, could we ask for more? Do I even need say it... not quite!

Oh yeah, he returns punts pretty good too. :D
Edelman is a damn good punt returner. The New England Patriots need Julian Edelman more on this team next year than LeGarrette Blount, Leon Washington, Matt "worthless" Mulligan.

Edelman was put in a difficult situation and he rose to the challenge.

Curse Michael Vick for screwing this up, but, as the old saying goes, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

Edelman's not perfect, but he gives you everything he's got every time he's on the field.

My only concern about Edelman has never been about performance but health.

Certainly the last two games he is the man, without him we are dead in the water.

If Bill Belichick had gone with popular patsfans opinion we would have lost that game to the jets due to having no receivers

Edelman is a damn good punt returner. The New England Patriots need Julian Edelman more on this team next year than LeGarrette Blount, Leon Washington, Matt "worthless" Mulligan.

If you consider the PR yards as 'moving the chains' yards instead of the otherwise downed spot of the ball; he got a whole bunch of extra first downs a HECK OF A LOT QUICKER than our offense did. Each one of his returns only lasts about 3 secs from catch to tackle/out-of-bounds.

We only got 9 1-Downs in offense.

JE's returns consisted of: 10, FC (0), 17, 0 (muff-recovd), 17, 13, 15.

I count that as 7 First Downs (17s as 2 ea) the O didnt have to move the ball.

That is just WAY TOO MUCH FIELD POSITION to give up using someone else out there. This was a field position fight game. You give the Jesters all those extra yards and they put 2 more figgeee on the board and we are on the short end.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Edelman make a couple of tough catches ... in a downpour, even. Earlier in the game it seemed like he was playing excellently with his feet, but not so much above the waist.

And of course when it comes to punt returns he's one of the great ones.

When healthy, Edelman offers more at this point than Welker. Welker has no explosion anymore and is basically a guy that works solely underneath against LB's and nickel DBs, benefitting from the sky high talents of one Demaryius Thomas. Edelman was the sole concern of the Jets last night and they still couldn't stop him when it counted, on defense or special teams.

When healthy, Edelman offers more at this point than Welker. Welker has no explosion anymore and is basically a guy that works solely underneath against LB's and nickel DBs, benefitting from the sky high talents of one Demaryius Thomas. Edelman was the sole concern of the Jets last night and they still couldn't stop him when it counted, on defense or special teams.

That is just stupid. Why can't people admit that Welker was a great player for the Pats and will do well for Denver. Are Edelman or Amendola better? After 2 games, I have no idea.

Welker was consistant. He took a beating and kept coming back. However, if we had Welker and not Edelman, I don't think last night would have been any different.

If we had Welker and not Edelman, I don't think last night would have been any different.

I think that's my point, except welker makes about $5 million more per year.

That is just stupid. Why can't people admit that Welker was a great player for the Pats and will do well for Denver. Are Edelman or Amendola better? After 2 games, I have no idea.

Welker was consistant. He took a beating and kept coming back. If we had Welker and not Edelman, I don't think last night would have been any different.

Yes, Welker WAS a great player and he HAS BEEN healthy, but I have no problem cutting ties with an aging slot receiver who's only skill is short area quickness, which is the first thing to go.

Yes, Welker WAS a great player and he HAS BEEN healthy, but I have no problem cutting ties with an aging slot receiver who's only skill is short area quickness, which is the first thing to go.

"Has been" healthy as in not anymore? Is Welker out for 6 weeks with a pulled groin too? I'm sorry, that's right the "health" question only applies to Welker and not the guy he was replaced with. I guess its better to have a superior talent on the PUP than a proven durable guy on the field who might lose his quickness at some point in the future...

I joke. I kid. Great game by #11 tonight. It seems like just yesterday this topic was actually a heated discussion.

Some thoughts on his performance tonight and week 1:

Not quite as automatic as WW.
Not quite as elusive as the Dark One.
Not quite as fragile as Ras-I.
Not quite as telepathic as Branch.

But hot damn, could we ask for more? Do I even need say it... not quite!

Oh yeah, he returns punts pretty good too. :D
Couldn't agree more. Problem is he doesn't seem to know how to avoid big hits. I fear he's not long for this season at this rate. Work Boyce in to take some of the load off.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Edelman make a couple of tough catches ... in a downpour, even. Earlier in the game it seemed like he was playing excellently with his feet, but not so much above the waist.

And of course when it comes to punt returns he's one of the great ones.

Edelman showed that he could make those kind of tough catches and run crisp routes on a sloppy field. Not only that but the ball was very slick and he still performed very well and continued to move the chains.

Yes, Edelman does offer much more then Welker does now at this point in his career. The Jets did everything they could to try and stop him. They rolled coverage his way, and nothing worked. He still moved the chains and continuously got open. I don't know why its so hard for some people to realize now that this guy is pretty darn good. And I see more explosion in his game now then Welker as mentioned above.

My Chief... "last night man, Edelman carried that offense.. and Tom well dude is the GOAT but even the GOAT needs his receivers to CATCH the ball. He made some good throws. I like Edelman, I think he quickly becoming in the upper echolon of receivers, he got game" and I complete agree

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back