PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Devin McCourty belong at FS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised at the hate for Devin McCourty on this board so far this season.

Are you really? McCourty is this years whipping boy, and was last years. 09 was Maroney, 10 was Meriwether, and then last year was McCourty and...hmmm, Mayo and Spikes took a bunch of abuse on here last year also. Its just the nature of this place. If we win Sunday it will go back to OMG our whole D should start in the pro bowl!!!

Who? McCourty was reasonable in all 3 games. He made a huge error of judgement on a couple of plays. McCourty is being unfairly maligned.

For some reason, people have conveniently forgotten what the Patriots D did to the Cardinals O, especially given the poor field position thanks to ST & O turnovers they were defending. Arizona passed for roughly 140 yards.

The Pats go hosed in both games by the officials.

Yeah, Larry Fitzgerald went from one catch for four yards going against McCourty for most of the game when he played the Pats to NFC player of the week the next going up against primarily a good CB in Rodgers-Cromartie (9 catches for 114 yards and 1 TD). Kolb was the QB in both games. Yet if you ask the McCourty haters, he sucked in that game too.

BTW, I can't quit this thread for some reason.

Last edited:
Bring my point from the TNF here.
McCourty is playing like every DB we have had in the last few years. The common denominator is that they all don't turn to look for the ball. Why? I truly believe someone is preaching to them and probably critically stressing on them to avoid the big play which leads to scoring, they have been warned so much that it has made them removed taking the risk of turning to look for the ball out of them options. This is just speculation here, but I can bet that they don't get criticized for giving up those huge PI's provided it is not a big catch.
j/k.

Yeah, Larry Fitzgerald went from one catch for four yards going against McCourty for most of the game when he played the Pats to NFC player of the week the next going up against primarily a good CB in Rodgers-Cromartie (9 catches for 114 yards and 1 TD). Kolb was the QB in both games. Yet if you ask the McCourty haters, he sucked in that game too.

The Patriots made sure they were not going to let Fitzgerald beat them. On some plays, Fitzgerald drew double coverage with one of the defenders leaving his back to the play just to make sure he shadowed Fitzgerald, without an ability to know what else was going on.

Fitzgerald Waits For Opportunity

Seems it wasn't McCourty v. Fitzgerald.

When it comes to officiating, I'd prefer to reference someone who has worked in an official capacity opposed to journalists or former coaches and players.

May I know which individual you refer to (who had worked in an official capacity) felt that the Gronk call was incorrect?

Since I am just a fan, I give more importance to the thoughts/insights provided by the guys who actually coached, played, and as you correctly mention, officiate the NFL games. Next in my rung of preference are the players/coaches who were/are involved in American football either at school or college.

Then of course are the more knowledgable fans, without which this forum wouldn't exist.

Thanks,

kevin-kolb-4-2011-nfl-arizona-cardinals-TVK9RG.jpg

You mean the guy who completed 70.8% of his passes for 222 yards, 2 TDs, and 0 INTs against what is supposed to be a great Eagles' defense?

Fitzgerald Waits For Opportunity

Seems it wasn't McCourty v. Fitzgerald.

It was McCourty and Gregory for most part. So. McCourty is excluded from double teams? McCourty drew Fitzgerald most of the game and they had Gregory give him over the top help. This is no different than most CBs covering elite WRs. Fitzgerald is double teamed most of the time in most games and no one has minimized his game like that since his rookie season.

So let's diminished what McCourty did because he really wasn't covering Fitzgerald because they kept Gregory assisting over the top on him.

In fact, Zolak went back to the tape and just said that McCourty was a huge disadvantage on Sunday because Gregory looked like he was stuck in concrete and really slow to provide over the top help in the cover 2 shell.

It was McCourty and Gregory for most part. So. McCourty is excluded from double teams? McCourty drew Fitzgerald most of the game and they had Gregory give him over the top help. This is no different than most CBs covering elite WRs. Fitzgerald is double teamed most of the time in most games and no one has minimized his game like that since his rookie season.

So let's diminished what McCourty did because he really wasn't covering Fitzgerald because they kept Gregory assisting over the top on him.

In fact, Zolak went back to the tape and just said that McCourty was a huge disadvantage on Sunday because Gregory looked like he was stuck in concrete and really slow to provide over the top help in the cover 2 shell.

Let's not pretend McCourty was doing something special when he was getting double coverage help play after play. McCourty did nothing of note in that game, so let's not go using it as some good/great game for him when it was nothing of the kind.

And Zolak also graded out McCourty with about an 80-85, calling any 'bad' play equal, because he didn't bother to grade him on plays when he wasn't thrown at but counted every play regardless of whether or not he was thrown at. In other words, although you'll rail against it, Zolak's analysis can be dismissed as woefully incomplete and misleading.

Lastly, the reason McCourty was at a huge disadvantage on Sunday is because he was playing bad football.

Last edited:
May I know which individual you refer to (who had worked in an official capacity) felt that the Gronk call was incorrect?

Since I am just a fan, I give more importance to the thoughts/insights provided by the guys who actually coached, played, and as you correctly mention, officiate the NFL games. Next in my rung of preference are the players/coaches who were/are involved in American football either at school or college.

Then of course are the more knowledgable fans, without which this forum wouldn't exist.

Thanks,

Mike Pereira, former head of officiating for the NFL

I know where he DOES NOT belong for sure, and thats CB.

You mean the guy who completed 70.8% of his passes for 222 yards, 2 TDs, and 0 INTs against what is supposed to be a great Eagles' defense?

Sanchez had a good game against the Bills so i guess you think his great .Fluke games happen.

Sanchez had a good game against the Bills so i guess you think his great .Fluke games happen.

Ah, I get it. So McCourty plays two good games out of three, but his bad game is the real deal and not a fluke. But Kolb's good game against a good defense is a fluke and not the real deal? Can't have it both ways.

McCourty had safety help the whole game . The Patriots used the Randy Moss treatment.Rodgers- Cromartie had single man coverage .If we had left McCourty alone honestly what do you think would have happened.

Rodgers- Cromartie had single man coverage

I'm gonna call shenanigans here. I doubt he had single man on Fitzgerald ALL game, and I doubt even more that you bothered to review every play on the all 22 to confirm this either way. Nice try though.

Let's not pretend McCourty was doing something special when he was getting double coverage help play after play. McCourty did nothing of note in that game, so let's not go using it as some good/great game for him when it was nothing of the kind.

And Zolak also graded out McCourty with about an 80-85, calling any 'bad' play equal, because he didn't bother to grade him on plays when he wasn't thrown at but counted every play regardless of whether or not he was thrown at. In other words, although you'll rail against it, Zolak's analysis can be dismissed as woefully incomplete and misleading.

Lastly, the reason McCourty was at a huge disadvantage on Sunday is because he was playing bad football.

Ok, put a grandmother with a walker at CB and you can easily shut down Larry Fitzgerald with a double team. The shocking thing is that since it is so easy to hold Fitzgerald to one pass for four yards with any schlub CB as long as he gets consistant double team help, you wonder why teams don't just double Fitzgerald every time.

McCourty did nothing special. Fitzgerald had the same numbers he does every week when he is doubled. Teams just don't think Fitzgerald is good enough to demand a double team. :rolleyes:

McCourty did play bad football at times on Sunday and excellent football at other. Of course anyone who suggests this are either making it up to fulfill an imaginary agenda or too stupid to analyze film. What does Scott Zolak know about CB coverages? When does a QB ever study CB coverages during their career?

McCourty had safety help the whole game . The Patriots used the Randy Moss treatment.Rodgers- Cromartie had single man coverage .If we had left McCourty alone honestly what do you think would have happened.

LOL! Why would the Eagles give Rodgers-Cromartie help against a mediocre WR like Fitzgerald.:rolleyes:

What a bunch of crap. Fitzgerald gets double teamed on most plays in most games. The Cards are not loaded at WR and Fitzgerald is a top 1 or 2 WR in the league. Andre Roberts has been decent (nothing special) this year as the second most catches and yards (granted the Pats held him to one catch for 2 yards for a TD). Todd Heap is average at this point. The rest of the receivers are scrubs. And don't give me Early Ducett because he has six catches for 58 yards in three games this year.

Last edited:

So the first two games, McCourty hasn't given up a big play or a major screw up. Maybe the Ravens' game was a fluke game because he played well for most of the game.

Ok, put a grandmother with a walker at CB and you can easily shut down Larry Fitzgerald with a double team. The shocking thing is that since it is so easy to hold Fitzgerald to one pass for four yards with any schlub CB as long as he gets consistant double team help, you wonder why teams don't just double Fitzgerald every time.

You may not have bothered reading the article I quoted with Fitzgerald, but it was the Patriots scheme that shut down Fitzgerald. It wasn't McCourty putting the clamps on his man.

McCourty did play bad football at times on Sunday and excellent football at other. Of course anyone who suggests this are either making it up to fulfill an imaginary agenda or too stupid to analyze film. What does Scott Zolak know about CB coverages? When does a QB ever study CB coverages during their career?

McCourty sucked on Sunday, and I think it's very amusing that you continue to be a hypocrite and do the same things you accused me of doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes