PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Devin McCourty belong at FS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never thought highly of McCourty, at his best as a rookie I thought he was average, definitely nothing to write home about.
So average he made the Pro Bowl? That rationale makes perfect sense.

McCourty has been fine this season. He made a bonehead decision on the DPI and people are now writing off 3 decent performances? Unreal.

Last edited:
I don't think Flacco needed much time Sunday night. For the most part it looked like he did not need to go through his progressions to often which means his primary receiver was for the most part open or at least open enough for Flacco to decide to sling it.

There will be games where the lack of a pass rush will be a big problem for the Pats if they don't improve. I just don't think Sunday night was one of them. Flacco made enough mistakes in the passing game regardless of whether they were instigated by pressure or not. We just did not do anything with them with one exception early in the game.

The play in front of them that hurt the secondary was Pats defense against the run I think. Once Rice started going nuts, the Pats had to change their defensive sets and for the most part, that was that.

Teams have clearly adjusted to what they saw of McCourty in 2010. Now, either McCourty must fix his problems, and adjust to the adjustments, or he's got to get the hook. Whether he can play safety is really just question #2, IMO, and not question #1, which is "As bad as the other CBs have looked, who the hell will they get to play his spot if he keeps going down in flames?".

The fact that no one else is truly challenging for a starting spot tells me how much the other DBs suck.

If McCourty is the best on the team then it's like saying a TV Dinner tastes better than Prison Food which tastes better than dog ****.

It's a fact of worse better than even worse.

McCourty has been fine this season. He made a bonehead decision on the DPI and people are now writing off 3 decent performances? Unreal.

Did you see the drunken attempt he made at trying to tackle Pitta while Gregory did his step stool impersonation?

because the Pro-Bowl is so hard to make. I guess Brandon Meriweather is a frickin stud safety too since he's been to the Pro Bowl 2x right? :rolleyes:

because the Pro-Bowl is so hard to make. I guess Brandon Meriweather is a frickin stud safety too since he's been to the Pro Bowl 2x right? :rolleyes:

McCourty was All-Pro too. That actually takes some talent.

I'm not sure how anyone is assessing Mccourty's ability since last year we were decimated at safety and this year- not only is it just Week 3- but replacement officials have mad it extremely difficult to asses talent in the secondary.

I provided you with a distinguishing fact that counteracted your nothing to write home about comment. As others have followed up, McCourty was selected as an All Pro (which was going to be my next point).

McCourty sucked on Sunday, and it was a lot more than just the DPI.

He doesn't seem to be able to find the ball on passes and lacks confidence. Other than that he's a perfect DB.

I provided you with a distinguishing fact that counteracted your nothing to write home about comment. As others have followed up, McCourty was selected as an All Pro (which was going to be my next point).

Pro Bowl is nothing to write home about, it's a popularity contest more than anything else. His "All-Pro" season was a fluke. 2 seasons later, I see no reason to change my mind.

Pro Bowl is nothing to write home about, it's a popularity contest more than anything else. His "All-Pro" season was a fluke. 2 seasons later, I see no reason to change my mind.
That makes you either unreasonable or stubborn. I'll go with both. McCourty will be fine.

Can we maybe wait for the Patriots to play in a game with actual rules before we condemn anyone for any reason?

I'm surprised at the hate for Devin McCourty on this board so far this season. I thought he played great for most of Sunday, with the huge errors being dropping that gimme interception and obviously the PI on the last drive.

But people are going to start getting open downfield when the front seven only force SIX hurries and NO sacks the entire game, and if you take away Chandler Jones (4) and Kyle Love (2), there was no pressure on Flacco. That doesn't give McCourty a free pass (especially with missing tackles AFTER the catch), but the field opening up towards the end of the game is more so a reflection of Flacco having a ton of time. It's just unfortunate for McC's perception that his two big mistakes were at the end of the game and either could have swung us the win. I agree he has to step up in those situations, but for me it doesn't negate the rest of the game.

I thought Arrington looked much worse and lazy throughout the game. I'd rather bring in a better #2 CB (or even a #1 CB and move McC to #2) than move #32 to FS and have no legitimate starting option at CB (where the hell is Dowling?).

That makes you either unreasonable or stubborn. I'll go with both. McCourty will be fine.

no worries, my fiancee feels the same way, if McCourty somehow ends up being the next coming of Darrelle Revis, then I'll be more than happy to eat crow otherwise I stand firm in believing that McCourty is god-awful and a bust.

no worries, my fiancee feels the same way, if McCourty somehow ends up being the next coming of Darrelle Revis, then I'll be more than happy to eat crow otherwise I stand firm in believing that McCourty is god-awful and a bust.
I don't think McCourty has the ability to become Revis n1e. McCourty needs to be an above average DB servicing a critical need for the Patriots. More pressing is the Patriots D looked better with Dowling and Wilson rotating through the secondary. For one reason or another, they're not being used to their full capacity. That's got me scratching my head more than anything.

I know it was only the Titans, but the D look dominant that game.

Last edited:
I think that Dowling showed promise to be a #1 CB, I don't know if the injury last year is still effecting him and if it is will it eventually be back to 100%, because last year he looked great before going on IR. If Dowling gets back to form/health Dowling as the #1 CB and McCourty as the #2 CB with Dennard in the slot would be a pretty good CB combo going forward.

I don't think McCourty has the ability to become Revis n1e. McCourty needs to be an above average DB servicing a critical need for the Patriots. More pressing is the Patriots D looked better with Dowling and Wilson rotating through the secondary. For one reason or another, they're not being used to their full capacity. That's got me scratching my head more than anything.

I know it was only the Titans, but the D look dominant that game.

you, I and the entire Pats nation is perplexed as to why Dowling isn't getting any PT, I actually like him a lot and thought he did well in his limited playing time.

If you believe the problem with McCourty is that he lacks ball skills, killer instinct and/or can't tackle, I don't see how a full-time move to FS improves the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back