PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Connolly deserve the Center job back from Wendell when he returns?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who should be the starting center when Dan Connolly returns?

• Dan Connolly

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • Ryan Wendell

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the center also helps set the protection, so couldn't it be more than seeing how many pressures came directly from center?

Not sure if related, but I'm interested in how/why Philly put such tremendous pressure on Brady in the first couple possessions, but then the pressure dissipated. Did Brady and the line figure out their schemes and adjust? (If so, did Wendell help set the line better than Connolly or Koppen would have in the same space of game time?) Did the Pats call different plays forcing Philly to back off? I can't imagine the Eagles would simply "stop" putting pressure on Brady by their own choice.

I understand the center also helps set the protection, so couldn't it be more than seeing how many pressures came directly from center?

Not sure if related, but I'm interested in how/why Philly put such tremendous pressure on Brady in the first couple possessions, but then the pressure dissipated. Did Brady and the line figure out their schemes and adjust? (If so, did Wendell help set the line better than Connolly or Koppen would have in the same space of game time?) Did the Pats call different plays forcing Philly to back off? I can't imagine the Eagles would simply "stop" putting pressure on Brady by their own choice.

Part of the reason is that Jenkins went out of the game. I think he hurt his arm or something. He was eating Mankin's lunch for a while.

It's simple. Dan was the starter when Koppen went out. That was determined by Dante and BB. It's his job when his injury gets better. Wendell did a good job so it's nice to have that kind of a backup to a backup.

Unlike the Jets that had a big drop off when Mangold went out.

I like Connolly and thought he did an admirable job at Center when Koppen went on IR but Wendell's incredible numbers the past 2 games since starting at Center makes me wonder if its smart to bring Connolly back on the line at Center if he returns this week or soon?.

Wendell has allowed only 1 QB pressure/hit from 72 Pass play snaps which is outstanding

Should Connolly get his job back? or is Wendell the guy to ride on through December?.
So your basing this on one game? Nothing like a large pool of datat to base your judgment on. Not one of your better thread starters. There was constant pressure up the middle in the first quarter. until, they started running the ball more. IMO Connolly is better than Koppen, he has done a better job than Koppen as far as not allowing pressure up the middle, and Koppen is better than Wendel

This kind of reminds me of the replace/cut edelman threads.

Last edited:
Too hard to say. There's a lot more to playing C than numbers, like blitz pickup, snapping, run blocking, etc.

If Wendell is a better option, they'll give him the job. Scarnecchia knows what he's doing.

I agree with the poster who said Mankins is playing like a JAG. He's been a big disappointment this year. It's not just his blocking; he leads the team in penalties. Some of his false starts have been drive killers in important situations. Easily his worst year.

Yes don't mind Wendell for a spell but he isn't the kind of second level blocker Connolly is also Connolly is our back-up KO returner *remember Greenbay game last year*.;)

I don't know enough about technical OL play to say who should or shouldn't be starting, so until I see otherwise I'm going with what BB/Dante seem to think... that anytime Connolly is healthy enough to line up, he's going to be the C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back