PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Charlie Weis really make this much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's very impressive, and i bet coaching college ball is a helluva lot less stressful as well too... it's all about the recruiting baby.

Not bad at all for a coach the patriots refused to pay $500K.

NEM said:
Uncle Charlie, where are you? It's me, your favorite nephew NEM Weis. :D

:) NEM's APB is too good to pass by!

But, down to business. 'Twas reported at the time of his long extension ... that his NEW salary was for "at least" 2 mil per annum.

Then there's endorsements and speeches:

Business Wants A Piece Of Charlie By reviving the Irish, Notre Dame coach Weis has become a hot commodity
On Jan. 2 a Notre Dame tradition will be born again. .... Notre Dame has a lucrative date against Ohio State in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, one of this year's elite Bowl Championship Series games.

A few days later, a lesser-known Notre Dame tradition will play out, perhaps over coffee and bagels: that of coaches being blitzed with offers. ....

speaking engagements, for which Weis's fee just went up from $20,000 last spring to $50,000 or more. A book contract could be worth 10 times that, ....

In all, LaMonte estimates that as many as 50 proposals are waiting for the coach -- ....

Weis, of course, wouldn't be the first coach to leverage his position at Notre Dame. More than 80 years ago a legend named Knute Rockne broke new ground by lending his name to a string of football schools and carrying the ball for Studebaker. Ever since, Fighting Irish coaches have been sought-after pitchmen and speakers, sometimes to the annoyance of school officials who wish they'd stick to their Xs and Os.
MINISTER OF OFFENSE That won't be a concern at Notre Dame for the next decade, predicts the 49-year-old Weis. "I want to be very sure I don't spread myself too thin.... I think I can be good at some of these things, but I'm not going to whore myself out," he says with typical bluntness. ....

The Weises' foundation, Hannah & Friends, aims to establish a community for Hannah and others with disabilities. This year alone, Weis has donated $100,000 in speaking fees to the foundation, in part because under his old Notre Dame contract, outside income offset his pay.
His new deal allows him to keep whatever he makes -- though he says he'll continue to channel extra income to the foundation. The deal seems in tune with the ethos of the university, where football and All-American commerce have been playing in the backfield almost as long as there has been pigskin in South Bend. ....

Then there are TV and merchandising deals, the richest in college football. NBC (GE ) pays $9 million a year for home games, which this season pulled in the highest ratings since 1995. NBC Sports President Ken Schanzer calls it a deal he'd like to extend "as far as the eye can see."
Shoe and apparel giant adidas-Salomon is no less eager. Last month it announced a 10-year, $60 million deal extension to sell Notre Dame jerseys and shorts. The dollars dwarf other college licensing deals, including Auburn's recent five-year, $10.6 million pact with sports clothing maker Under Armour Inc. (UARM ). "When you talk to retailers selling huge amounts of apparel, they tell you the No. 1 school by far is Notre Dame," says John Shanley, an analyst at Susquehanna Financial Group in New York.
It's all good for Charlie Weis, the man who brought the Irish back from the half-dead. Fortified by his new contract, he's building an eight-bedroom house in South Bend with an indoor horse-riding pavilion (for Maura), a playground and pool (for Hannah), and a regulation baseball diamond (for Charlie Jr., 12). What's in the house for him? That's easy: "Contentment."

edited extracts
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_51/b3964078.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back