PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Brady miss a game in Dec around the 14th?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I commented earlier, having beed present for two of the three children's births, it ain't a big deal for the father, unless you LIKE watching your wife suffer, lots of blood and other stuff, and the general smell of body fluids, sweat and hospital antiseptics. Plus, you are an extra person in the room, with nothing to do but stay out of the way, and be a target for the wrath of your dear spouse.

Tom should play. There's plenty for him to do afterward to help out with.

I really like your attitude towards birth, because you are right. But you would not believe the reasons people are induced. They basically need no reason at all. In fact, I know of a girl who was just induced at 39 weeks just because. She decided she was "done" with pregnancy. And doctors will do it.

I imagine she will be induced as well, and if not, well then he won't miss the game.

eta: PatsFanSince74, I hope your wife is OK! What an ordeal. I am due with my second child on October 3rd and will basically do anything, anything at all for a natural, induction free childbirth.

My daughter was born on 6/04/06 naturally.

When we were checking out of the hospital on 6/06/06, the ward was full (it was empty when we got there on the 4th) of people waiting to be induced.

Draw your own conclusions.

As I commented earlier, having beed present for two of the three children's births, it ain't a big deal for the father, unless you LIKE watching your wife suffer, lots of blood and other stuff, and the general smell of body fluids, sweat and hospital antiseptics. Plus, you are an extra person in the room, with nothing to do but stay out of the way, and be a target for the wrath of your dear spouse.

Tom should play. There's plenty for him to do afterward to help out with.

This is OT, so sorry everyone about birthing advice.

It depends on how you go about it.

We were coached on the Bradley Method. If you can stand going through the practice elements of the method, the information we got and strategy helped toward birth immensely. The man takes control of the whole process. Doctors are usually only in the room for a few minutes. Normally nurses are with the mother. When they see the mother's husband there being active, they step back just a notch. I did a lot of things for her, and I felt better because I was doing something. I would have been a nervous wreck just standing aside. So, for new fathers, pick up a book on the Bradley Method, and see if it's for you. If you're a take control type (my friends hate traveling with me because I rent all the cars and make plans) then it may be for you.

BTW, my wife was well aware the irony of a newage birthing method where "the man takes control." In this case though, it's really the man instead of other interference.

Last edited:
(Way OT, so ignore if that bothers you)

If you're just joking, I apologize for reacting (a :) or :singing: would have helped me know you were just kidding, btw). But this is a serious topic for some of us.
My bad, I should have included the smiley to make it clear I wasn't being serious...........

We were coached on the Bradley Method. If you can stand going through the practice elements of the method, the information we got and strategy helped toward birth immensely. The man takes control of the whole process. Doctors are usually only in the room for a few minutes. Normally nurses are with the mother. When they see the mother's husband there being active, they step back just a notch. I did a lot of things for her, and I felt better because I was doing something. I would have been a nervous wreck just standing aside. So, for new fathers, pick up a book on the Bradley Method, and see if it's for you. If you're a take control type (my friends hate traveling with me because I rent all the cars and make plans) then it may be for you.

Check out the book "American Parent" for an eye-opening history of Bradley and other birthing movements....

(Desperate attempt at Pats relevance: it would make a nice shower gift for the Bradys!)

BTW, my wife was well aware the irony of a newage birthing method where "the man takes control." In this case though, it's really the man instead of other interference.

Hey, we took a Bradley class too!!!

You know, sometimes stuff goes wrong. But you can control a lot more than you think, really. An eye-opening movie for us was The Business of Being Born. Tells you how the birth process has become the hospital-intervention fest it is in this country.

I know I'm off-topic. I'll shut up now.

Check out the book "American Parent" for an eye-opening history of Bradley and other birthing movements....

(Desperate attempt at Pats relevance: it would make a nice shower gift for the Bradys!)

Ah, the magic of Google Books. I just read the counter to Bradley in American Parent. The critique made sense, and I realized something I left out: we had a midwife there the whole time with us. So, maybe I'll credit myself and a woman "in charge" with the easy birth--not to mention my wife, heh.

I really like your attitude towards birth, because you are right. But you would not believe the reasons people are induced. They basically need no reason at all. In fact, I know of a girl who was just induced at 39 weeks just because. She decided she was "done" with pregnancy. And doctors will do it.

I imagine she will be induced as well, and if not, well then he won't miss the game.

eta: PatsFanSince74, I hope your wife is OK! What an ordeal. I am due with my second child on October 3rd and will basically do anything, anything at all for a natural, induction free childbirth.

(Way OT for those who want to ignore it.)

Yeah. Aside from the small matter of spending eight weeks in the hospital, she was none the worse for wear.

Going everyday to the Ante-Partum floor of a major teaching hospital where women come from all over the world with complex pregnancies taught me an enormous amount about the risks and complexities of pregnancy and childbirth; it was like doing a short Residency in Perinatology, coming to know women dealing with everything from incompetent cervix or diabetes to pre-eclampsia, placenta previa, spina bifida, low amniotic fluid, twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome to you name it.

The reason I am so passionate on this is that one of the worst moments was when one of my wife's roommates came in for "a few hours of induced labor" since she was well into her 41st week, and ended up in the OR after a very scary night. Believe me, once you know what can go wrong, this is not stuff you mess around with because you don't want your baby born on Halloween!

The idea that someone would unnecessarily introduce more uncertainty and risk into an already perilous process is beyond me. I can't decide whether I have a bigger problem with those who choose to do this and thereby increase the risk to an unborn child or with those who allow them to do it.

Last edited:
I think that's a bit of a misrepresentation for an NFL quarterback. It's not to "to play a game," it's to do a highly skilled, highly paid job where dozens of other employees are counting on him at a critical juncture.

Oh, I understand, I wasn't saying he should miss the game, just that the expectation in place that he miss his child's birth for work isn't standard when compared to the rest of the world. I take these games as seriously as anyone (I should know, I probably get PO.ed about SB42 on a daily basis still), but at the end of the day, these guys aren't employed to save lives, fight fires, fight cancer, or anything that has intrinsic value to society. They're gladiators who get paid millions entertain to us. The notion that that entertainment is more valuable than witnessing the birth of one's own child is a mind-boggling one. But I won't argue with it, b/c selfishly, I want these guys out there.

The only argument for it is the obligation to the team and the organization, which I believe - but when it gets back to the fans, and the pure entertainment value of the sport, thats when it doesn't hold up.

Last edited:
When I was born my father missed my birth because he was playing on that day it was only a home game but missed my birth. I know play and we had a player whos wife was due on a weekend we always play on a sunday we were 5 hours away and he played we are only amateurs and play the game for fun but all he could think of was winning a game and helping us make the playoff's. If Brady is the man we think he is a I believe he will play but I wouldn't begrudge him missing the game.

She's a model. Recovery from a cesarian takes a lot longer than from normal birth. Plus, the gash across the belly. Not really what a model would want.

I expect Brady to miss a game if she's in labor on a Sunday and it's a home game. If he's already on the road, it would be less likely that he'd be there for the birth. I'd also expect her to be in Boston at this time.

Sorry if this has been posted already.

You really don't know much about cesarean do you? Yes, it takes a couple extra weeks to "recover" (8wk vs 6wk), but my wife was up and about within a couple days. Also, there is no "gash across the belly", the incision, which you can barely tell is there, is done on the bikini line. They don't do the north/south cut on the abdomen anymore. If you have a cesarean, and you can notice the incision after it's healed, then you had a really bad surgeon.

You really don't know much about cesarean do you? Yes, it takes a couple extra weeks to "recover" (8wk vs 6wk), but my wife was up and about within a couple days. Also, there is no "gash across the belly", the incision, which you can barely tell is there, is done on the bikini line. They don't do the north/south cut on the abdomen anymore. If you have a cesarean, and you can notice the incision after it's healed, then you had a really bad surgeon.

everything you say is true, but still no reason to have the procedure unless it is medically necessary.

everything you say is true, but still no reason to have the procedure unless it is medically necessary.

I agree with that. They induced my wife a day or so before the due date, and it was a long, relatively pain free process. But we had a cesarean because our son wasn't dropping into position (his head was too big around lol; gets that from daddy).

The only "painful" part was the 45 min period between the time her water broke (of it's own accord) and the anesthesiologist getting the Epidural in. In which that time, the respect for my wife increased 100 fold... cause I have a high tolerance for pain, but there's no way I could deal w/ that lol.

RECOVER? Trust me, I know a lot. And really is there any reason to go off with, "You don't know much?" That's just stupid. Some women feel great hours after giving natural birth. With Cesarean, you are waylaid for a while. Your wife is definitely a quick recoverer, because most women don't even get out of bed after a couple days. How long does a woman with a Cesarean stay in the hospital? 5 to 7 days? As opposed to 1 to 2 days for normal birth? I'm not talking about healing here. I'm talking about an operation versus something that's extremely painful, and then it's over. C-sections take weeks to recover from (i.e. for a woman to go back to routine). A natural birth takes days.

What doctors won't tell you about induction is that it makes for short intense contractions that are much more painful than natural contractions. It's cause and effect. Get induced with pitocin. Go through short powerful, painful contractions. Request an epidural because the pain is so bad, or even worse some women are given nubane (which gives you the feeling of being drunk, except you cans till feel everything). Then when the epidural counteracts the pitocin, you're stuck, and it's either long drawn out labor, or c-section. This is really a textbook case that happens to many many women. In my town, we have four major hospitals. Similar populations at each of the four hospitals. If you look at their stats, you'd be amazed since some hospitals clearly prefer C-sections to normal births. You have to make your tee-time after all.

Last edited:
RECOVER? Trust me, I know a lot. Some women feel great hours after giving natural birth. With Cesarean, you are waylaid for a week. I'm not talking about healing. I'm talking about an operation versus something that's extremely painful, and then it's over.

Oh ok, cause you were talking about stuff that had nothing to do with feelings in your last post... it was all about Giselle being a model, and that scar would screw up her career, and yada yada yada...

Even natural birth has a recovery time. Because, oh, I don't know, they're being literally stretched and ripped from the inside out. And if you have an episiotomy that goes wrong, then you certainly have recovery time.

Case and point (now that we're WAY OT [and due to being off topic, this'll be my last post since this has squat to do w/ whether or not brady will miss a game]) - My wife was on leave from work for 8 weeks due to Cesarean. Co-worker was out from work BEFORE my wife was, and came back AFTER my wife did, natural birth, level 4 tear when they gave her the episiotomy. Oh, and my wife felt perfectly fine hours after the birth, just worn out and exhausted from being in labor for like 19hr.

Oh ok, cause you were talking about stuff that had nothing to do with feelings in your last post... it was all about Giselle being a model, and that scar would screw up her career, and yada yada yada...

Even natural birth has a recovery time. Because, oh, I don't know, they're being literally stretched and ripped from the inside out. And if you have an episiotomy that goes wrong, then you certainly have recovery time.

Case and point (now that we're WAY OT [and due to being off topic, this'll be my last post since this has squat to do w/ whether or not brady will miss a game]) - My wife was on leave from work for 8 weeks due to Cesarean. Co-worker was out from work BEFORE my wife was, and came back AFTER my wife did, natural birth, level 4 tear when they gave her the episiotomy. Oh, and my wife felt perfectly fine hours after the birth, just worn out and exhausted from being in labor for like 19hr.

Yeah, I do think models will tend to avoid something that will have more impact on their bodies. I still think that.

All I'll say is that the studies--I'm not talking anecdotal evidence about coworkers here--show that normal births have much less recovery time, measured in days not weeks. You also should look at the rates of episiotomies in relation to inductions and certain kinds of drugs, like nubane. Put it this way, if you can't feel it, and you're not pushing hard enough, it's oh so easy for a doctor to cut there.

You might have guessed that I've been trained to look at the entire process cynically. I have. But my experiences with it multiple times tell me I'm not far off the mark at all.

level 4 tear when they gave her the episiotomy.

:( My condolences to her. I'm trusting this was 8+ years ago, there's no excuse for any OB doing an episiotomy today. Overwhelming medical evidence has shown that procedure was a huge mistake.

As for cesareans, the real secret to them is they require very little skill and training -- or patience -- on the physician's part.

:( My condolences to her. I'm trusting this was 8+ years ago, there's no excuse for any OB doing an episiotomy today. Overwhelming medical evidence has shown that procedure was a huge mistake.

As for cesareans, the real secret to them is they require very little skill and training -- or patience -- on the physician's part.

Actually not, this was less than 30mo ago. My son is 18mo old, and I believe this persons child is only a couple months older than my son.

yeah, they only do episiotomies now if they need to get the baby out fast to assure survival of mom or child or if the, um, you know, um, vagina, is particularly small (let's see if the censor software picks that up)...they might also do them if the kid is presenting at an odd angle and it's either cut or risk damage to the child during delivery, but that's really rare

as for your second point. yep. plus insurance pays the OB a lot more for a caesarian...not that that would have anything go do with the decision :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes