PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does being a passing team help keep O-lineman healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patsmaniac

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
It would seem to me that our OLinemen benefit from a health standpoint by being a passing team. I dont know the number of run plays vs pass plays but I wonder if there is any correlation from not having to run block 30plus times a game. It would seem O-Linemen take more of beating in the run game as they are all on/under piles and get hit from behind more often. Just a thought. If anyone has any insight it would be appreciated.

doesn't seem to help Stephen Neal.

I'd say this is false

This makes sense. On a run play, it seems like there are more falling bodies and that the chance of somebody rolling up on the back of somebody else's legs is increased. In passing situations there is more "standing up" and you don't see linemen go to the ground as often.

This doesn't prove statistical significance, just my own theories.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I did look at some other teams stats(but not all admittedly) and found a few as I was looking that have run far more run plays vs pass then we have appearently. Who knows but could make it easier for O-line to remain less banged up.

If you ask most Olinemen, they feel more defenseless when standing there and trying to move sideways to get in somebody's way than when they can fire off the ball and hit somebody in the run game.

I think the Pats Oline, being smaller than average, and smart and quick, may be better suited to get in people's way than blow them off the line of scrimmage. They could well enjoy pass blocking more than most lines.

The style of zone blocking that they utilize could also be keeping them healthy if you assume that cut blocking is easier than face-up blocking. They do cut a lot in the run game.

Linemen live to run block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back