PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does BB reinvent himself a little every season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrairiePat

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this a lot with all the coaching departures this year, and in the recent past.

Year after year, the Pats lose critical coaches to other teams, coaches who know the most intimate details of how the Pats scout opponents, how they build offenses and defenses, how they practice, how they motivate players, etc. Last year, and today, we've lost front office guys who were crucial to the drafting of college talent and the management of a payroll under the salary cap.

These coaches and executives are now competing against the Pats for other organizations, where they presumably can use their knowledge of BB's system to help defeat him. Yet, somehow the Pats seem to survive. How is this possible? I can think of a couple of possibilities, feel free to chime in if you have better ideas:

- BB reinvents himself a little each year; he self-scouts his own team and works on the flaws he sees, leaving other to compete against last year's strategies
- BB is the only one who understands all of the different pieces, and doesn't let others develop that complete understanding of the system
- Ernie Adams?
- ?

Forget player turnover - with the loss of McDaniels and Pioli, this coming year could easily be BB's toughest yet.

YES!!! this is exactly it. the reason he does so well is because nobody ever knows what hes going to do. his #1 attribute is his ability to adapt. hes so smart. hes never going to try to do something that he doesnt believe he can do. he never puts players into positions that dont best suit their abilities. instead of saying, well this is my system and this is what im going to do, he says, these are my players and im going to create a system to put players in a position to make plays based on what their abiliities allow them to do. Great post

In this respect, it's almost a blessing the Pats didn't make the playoffs this season. BB has the time he needs to plug holes and make adjustments. I think Pioli has been a huge factor in the continuity that's allowed the team to stay on top. So, hopefully, Caserio or whoever succeeds him is ready to step in and hit the ground running. BB, Pioli and Adams have been the three-headed monster that's kept this wagon rolling. Adams' role can't be underestimated either, I believe. He's the master evaluator of tendencies and quality control.

Last edited:
He also seems very adept at changing his demeanor to best suit the team. 2007 was all aout "humble pie", 2008 was about "having fun". Hopefully 2009 will be solely about destroying everyone in their path.

Good thread. I think he does, the same way Michael Jordan or Brady came back every season having worked on some new aspect of his game.

I'll throw out the thought that maybe one or two of these departures might not of happened if there was a deep playoff run by the Pats.

These coaches and executives are now competing against the Pats for other organizations, where they presumably can use their knowledge of BB's system to help defeat him. Yet, somehow the Pats seem to survive. How is this possible?

I guess I'm going against your premise a little bit. Why should knowing how we practice help someone beat us? They still have to outplay us on the field. If they know how we motivate players, they'd need to also know the antidote so that they could unmotivate our players during the game.

In this respect, it's almost a blessing the Pats didn't make the playoffs this season. BB has the time he needs to plug holes and make adjustments. I think Pioli has been a huge factor in the continuity that's allowed the team to stay on top. So, hopefully, Caserio or whoever succeeds him is ready to step in and hit the ground running. BB, Pioli and Adams have been the three-headed monster that's kept this wagon rolling. Adams' role can't be underestimated either, I believe. He's the master evaluator of tendencies and quality control.

Education of a Coach also talked about how Adams runs the Pats' draft room, and plays a crucial role in developing draft strategy. Part of the reason why I'm not as worried about Pioli leaving as I otherwise might be is that I think that Adams probably does a lot more than we realize, and can probably fill a good amount of the void. Not to discredit Pioli, but I just don't think that one guy can 'break' the Pats' front office system, unless of course that guy is Belichick.

Last edited:
He also seems very adept at changing his demeanor to best suit the team. 2007 was all aout "humble pie", 2008 was about "having fun". Hopefully 2009 will be solely about destroying everyone in their path.
Welcome back Patjew. Great to have you on board once more.

The ability of any great leader is that of innovation and being able to adapt to environmental surroundings. BB clearly has a grasp of both. If you do what you did before, there is no progress and you don't improve. It's a wonderful philosophy.

I agree.. Season 2009/2010 is about destruction. NFL Armageddon.

Last edited:
Welcome back Patjew. Great to have you on board once more.

The ability of any great leader is that of innovation and being able to adapt to environmental surroundings. BB clearly has a grasp of both. If you do what you did before, there is no progress and you don't improve. It's a wonderful philosophy.

I agree.. Season 2009/2010 is about destruction. NFL Armageddon.

I'm hoping for the GFY World Tour #2, with a better result from the last gig than the first tour.

I'm hoping for the GFY World Tour #2, with a better result from the last gig than the first tour.

Hear hear. I want people griping about running up the score in 19 games.

Hear hear. I want people griping about running up the score in 19 games.
Running up the score and forcing epic sacks such as that delivered on Lord Farvequad by Thomas the Sack Engine atleast once per game.

If anything, that would make for some wonderful Fitzy commentary.

Not sure if his itinerary this year, but am aware in years past would go a visit Jimmy Johnson, do a little fishing and a little brain trust activity with him. Knows he has a whole network of people like him that he talks to make sure that what he is thinking is based on reality.

Glad to see you back Patjew..

Was wondering about this myself. Just how much do you think BB changes the Patriots playbook in the off-season ? If McDaniels had gone somewhere like the Jets do you think Bill would make more changes as he would have had a former OC in the same division ? The Pats have lost a lot of coaching talent to other teams in the AFC but it hasn't stopped us being a great team so I'm guessing BB keeps refreshing things.

Last edited:
I think next season will be more than a slight "reinvention" of the BB defense. My gut feel is BB is still embarrassed about not only being caught flatfooted by the Dolphins use of the Wildcat direct snap to the running back but also that he/they weren't able to make proper adjustments to it during the actual game. That game, as it turned out, was essentially the difference between the AFC East conference championship and a playoff berth. He has to still be seething at himself on that particular failure to adapt to the unexpected.
He will try to prevent anything like that from ever happening to them again.
BB will be more motivated then usual imho. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back