PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does BB Need To Bring In An Experienced DC To Rebuild The Defense?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Vote.

• Yes, but the new DC should handle schemes only.

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • Yes, but the new DC should handle schemes and personnel.

Votes: 58 58.0%
  • No.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Everything is fine./Tralala/Other (please specify)

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NEP4Life

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
More than three years of "rebuilding" the defense and no significant progress has been made.

Is it time to bring in an experienced defensive co-ordinator, as Dom Capers was brought in previously, to take over the defensive schemes and personnel?

Last edited:
Yes, but I feel like it has more to do with personnel than anything. We don't have the personnel in the secondary or DLine to stop a decent offense.

More than three years of "rebuilding" the defense and no significant progress has been made.

Is it time to bring in an experienced defensive co-ordinator, as Dom Capers was brought in a previously, to take over the defensive schemes and personnel?

absolutely!!!

no, Ive seen enough to say that for the most part the schemes are fine IMO. The problem is the talent. Not enough speed, or playmaking ability in this secondary to become a great defense. How many times do you hear "that was just a great play by (insert any New England defender here)? McCourty made plays last season but this year it just hasn't clicked. Its hard to scheme around sub par players like Sergio Brown, Gary Guyton, Adams, Ihedigbo, etc. There isn't one defender Id trust in a 1 on 1 situation to be better than the other guy. The situation just sucks right now because there will be no help, we have to just see if we can win with it this year or its another year of Brady's career to waste.

Last edited:
The issue is talent at coverage LB, nickel back and at free safety.

The defensive line stopped a decent offense today.

Yes, but I feel like it has more to do with personnel than anything. We don't have the personnel in the secondary or DLine to stop a decent offense.

Last edited:
I'm in the stage of denial...tralala:singing:

The issue is talent at coverage LB, nickel back and at free safety.

Kyle Arrington/Adams are not number 2 corners at all. Arrington looked like a joke on that TD catch. Don't get me wrong, I think a change within the coaching staff wouldn't hurt but personal is definitely a problem across the board.

In my opinion, due to bad drafts and personnel decisions our overall roster, especially on d is now below nfl average. The dline is big and strong but slow and unathletic. We downgrade out defensive backfield at almost every position. The pats personnel on d is inferior. Speed and quickness is lacking. I thought the 2011 draft broke just right for the pats and was an opportunity to address many needs and we blew it, unfortunately we don't get a do-over. We still are weak at wr / dline / olb / rb and now can add db / safety to the mix. We can't continue to draft player high at cut them loose in 1-3 years. Is cunningham next, what about vereen. Let's take a look at ridley, a running back has a short carreer. The patriots need to revaluate their personnel decisions. Give me cincy's defensive roster or pittsburgh's wideouts. I would rather have a personnel guru over a defensive coordinator and please get brady a wideout who can get down the field. I would take someone like daren hagan over what we have now. Can our backs catch passes anymore.

I thought today's loss was on the offense.

That being said, the defense needs better players, not a new scheme.

Tracy White, James Ihedigbo, Josh Barrett, Sergio Brown, and Gary Guyton, should not be on the field at critical situations in the game. I understand there are injuries, but the lack of depth on this team is surprisingly bad.

People do not like questioning BB, but maybe people have to start questioning his personnel decisions.

Not sure any DC could work with this pathetic group of players on defense. Outside of Wilfork and Mayo, they aren't anything special and, in most cases, a liability out there.

It's on offense that I'd like to see a new co-ordinator added. Someone that isn't badly outclassed when they go up against a worthy adversary like is the case now.

just a quick question. Would the pats be better off with:

A: Current defense

b: Last year's defense

c: Alabama defense

d: L.s.u. Defense

e: B.c. Defense

lets get some players - before it's too late.

just a quick question. Would the pats be better off with:

A: Current defense

b: Last year's defense

c: Alabama defense

d: L.s.u. Defense

e: B.c. Defense

lets get some players - before it's too late.
Said this before but honestly, who wouldn't take the entire Bama defense with a year of nfl experience over our secondary?

I'm actually pretty happy the fanbase is in somewhat of a consensus here (and one that I'm in agreement with). I'd be curious to see the results of this poll had we won the game instead... as I'm sure more than a few people are just overly pissed and wanting a change ASAP.

But in all honesty, the talk of adjusting the defense at the coaching level has been talked about for at least a few years now, and deservedly so. Belichick has pretty much built this defense, and he's had an almost entirely different one (or numerous ones) before that. And every time, it's the same problems.

Bill Belichick does not know how to coach an effective defense right now. We can sugar-coat that statement, blaming the personnel and injuries and whatnot... but BB is the defacto GM and has left us with the guys we have anyway... so he's at least as much to blame as anyone in that respect as well.

They suffer from missing key pieces in key places.

I would love to see us make a Godfather offer for the likes of an Ed Reed or Dwight Freeney.

What team is better equipped to make such an offer? We have obviously proved inept at addressing these needs through the draft.

Heck, I'd say the same about an offensive playmaker at WR. Reggie Wayne?

Poor drafting in 2007, 2008, and 2009 is really starting to hurt the defense. They really lack depth.

Recent personnel decisions are still puzzling.

Last edited:
I'm actually pretty happy the fanbase is in somewhat of a consensus here (and one that I'm in agreement with). I'd be curious to see the results of this poll had we won the game instead... as I'm sure more than a few people are just overly pissed and wanting a change ASAP.

But in all honesty, the talk of adjusting the defense at the coaching level has been talked about for at least a few years now, and deservedly so. Belichick has pretty much built this defense, and he's had an almost entirely different one (or numerous ones) before that. And every time, it's the same problems.

Bill Belichick does not know how to coach an effective defense right now. We can sugar-coat that statement, blaming the personnel and injuries and whatnot... but BB is the defacto GM and has left us with the guys we have anyway... so he's at least as much to blame as anyone in that respect as well.
IMO BB could be the genius he always was if he had the players to execute his schemes. Its lack of talent.

Last edited:
They suffer from missing key pieces in key places.

I would love to see us make a Godfather offer for the likes of an Ed Reed or Dwight Freeney.

What team is better equipped to make such an offer? We have obviously proved inept at addressing these needs through the draft.

Heck, I'd say the same about an offensive playmaker at WR. Reggie Wayne?

lol @ all these old guys. Desean Jackson, Vincent Jackson, Dwayne Bowe, Stevie Johnson all are free agents at the end of the season. WR are as deep as any year in this draft and the same goes for corners. The players will be there this offseason, we will see who we bring in when that time comes. For now were tied for first and we have to make the most of what we have which isn't much at safety/corner/3rd down lb.

i never thought i'd say this:

But

i loved cincinnati's personnel moves this past year.

What was oakland thinking ? Anything for ocho or t.o. Was too much.

Overall they have a better roster than pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes