Welcome to PatsFans.com

Does Anyone Watch the AFL?

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by zippo59, Mar 12, 2007.

1. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

(arena football league)

I tried watching it tonight and not only did I feel claustrophobic watching them play on that tiny field but the game is an absolute joke. They actually have live audio of the communications between players and coaches as well as the plays being called by the QB. The players and coaches stop and give interviews with the broadcasters DURING THE GAME! I didn't expect to see the NFL but it was a complete media circus and it seems like they don't take it seriously at all.
  2. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -1

ESPN.

No I don't watch it.........
  3. thesmee1

thesmee1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I do! While I don't enjoy the tiny arena, or the mostly offensive type scoring, it does fill my football fix after the NFL season is over.
  4. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I tried once, but it's a little too over the top for me. I'll watch an NFL Europe game now and again, but I don't make too much of an effort. Until baseball season starts, I tend to catch up on movies and stuff.
  5. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

There were doing for a promo for it during the game and I saw that Michael Bishop is a QB for one of the teams.
  6. Krazy Koz

Krazy Koz Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

yeah I can't really get into it. what's the point with the scoring frenzy it seems like nothing is important until the last minute. I like to see some of the hard hits and the speed and athleticism of the game is interesting, but besides that... I'll pass. It's like watching Pheonix Sun's play all offense and no D = boring
  7. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The problem with it is that they know the players aren't that good because if they were they would be in the NFL, so to try to get you to watch grade C talent they need to add gimmicks to get people to watch like in-game interviews of players and coaches, high scoring, and live feeds of the audio on the field and sidelines (XFL anyone?).
  8. Krazy Koz

Krazy Koz Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I guess it's better than baseball, golf, or womens bball on my list... its a tough call though between poker on espn 2 and afl on espn 1 (sarcasm)
  9. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

God I would rather watch anything but poker. I like to play it but why people would choose to watch it on TV is beyond me.
  10. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey! Iliked the XFL! Well at least more than the AFL. No fair catches, and the rules were structured for more D. It was designed for the Jaced Up highlight reel. Considering that the WWF was behind it, it was no surprise they wanted to feature the violence of the game. I wish that league stuck instead of the AFL.
  11. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

When the XFL was I never really watched it because I was young. All I know about it is what my father told me and what I see on TV about it. I agree though that the XFL sounds better than the AFL. I was simply drawing the parellel between how the AFL had live audio from the field which I believe the XFL did.
  12. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, they are/were both shameless self promoters. But those cool robots over the field that we see now were developed for the XFL..a bit of trivia there. Oh, and it wasn't long ago, either. What are you, 12? No offense intended, you are a good poster, but it was only like 5 or 6 years ago or something. Manning, the CB, originally played for Carolina in the NFL, was "HE HATE ME" in the XFL. That was another thing. The players could call themselves what they wanted. Ocho Stinko would have loved that part.:D
  13. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I am 16 so at the time I was 1o or 11. I could have watched it but I was pretty oblivious at the time and didn't totally understand the appeal of the XFL. At the time the only sport I liked was the NFL, but I wasn't as totally into it as I am now. If it was on now I would probably watch it.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  14. Canada's #1 Pats Fan

Canada's #1 Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

He Hate Me was actually Rod Smart, not Ricky Manning.