PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does anyone think Tom is underrated when compared to Peyton Manning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares about who is better or who is worse? Guys, we're living in a time when we have the privelege of watching two of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game guide each other's teams who have been the best two teams of the decade against each other year in and year out. Brady/Manning or Pats/Colts... who cares? It's the rivalry of the ages. Just sit back and enjoy it.

By the way: Brady's better. :D

Tom is better than Peyton. Everybody knows it.

I think the biggest difference between the two is that Peyton has been throwing to a HOF receiver his whole career.

Brady? Nope. He's got one year with Randy, and hopefully 3 more great years with lots of hardware.

DOnt forget that Manning has always had a much grreater running game and threat of a running game then Brady has had. Look at the RB's each has had. Antowain Smith, Corey Dillon and Laurence Maroney vs. MArshall Faulk, Edgerrain James and Joe Addai. Smith was servicable and Dillon had 1 great year. Faulk was one of the all time greats ,although I think he got better when he went to the Rams and James was a top 5 back in the NFL when he was with the Colts. And between Addai and Maroney I'd give the advantage to Addai so far in their short careers.

As far as comparing the two, I thought they were dead even going into last season. Manning had finally gotten the 10,000 pound gorilla off of his back, lead the comeback vs the Patriots in the AFC Championship game and on to the Super Bowl. Thought he had finally relaxed and learned how to win.

Then last year, Brady finally had quality weapons and was off the charts, while Manning couldn't pull out the game at home vs the Patriots, fumbling on the final drive and then lost to a depleted San Diego team at home in the playoffs.

Advantage; Tom Brady..............

Billy Volek beat Peyton Manning/The Referees (as usual) and Bill Polian in the playoffs at the RCA Dome, what more do people need ?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Billy Volek beat Peyton Manning"

All world QB's don't lose playoff games at home to ham and egger QB's, there's no debating that. Dolts fans can throw all the stats in the world at me, you gotta walk the walk and talk the talk when the money is on the table.

Dolt fans are tickled to death with their grand total of one Super Bowl win under the leadership of Manning; they should have AT LEAST two more if he was a money QB......................

i can't wait for the show down between the two this Nov. I think we are going to win more than 3 pts this time.

i can't wait for the show down between the two this Nov. I think we are going to win more than 3 pts this time.

Me too. I'm in the minority, but I think the Colts are fading.

I'm not sure if some of these arguments are entirely fair. It's true that TB has more rings than PM, but that's not the end-all, be-all. It's definitely important, but it's not the final say in "who's the better QB."

After all, Eli Manning has more rings than most of the QB's in the NFL at this point. Does that mean he's better than all those without a ring? I'm sure most people (especially on here) would say "well that ring was mostly because of his defense." Which, I believe, is mostly true.

Do I think TB is absolutely clutch and a great QB? Yes, he is. I'm not trying to say he's not. What I am trying to say is that I think that the NE defense and Adam Viniatieri helped the Pats win those SB's just as much, if not more, than TB contributed to those wins. Again, I'm not denying that TB is a really great QB. He's worked with lousy receivers and done quite well. But the SB wins don't automatically mean he's better than PM just because I think NE's defense and AV had more to do with those wins than TB.

That's IMO, plaster me if you want, but there is some truth to my statements. In the end I think that it's almost impossible to tell until you look at their careers as a whole (after they're finished playing of course). Who knows? TB could win 3 more SB's, or PM could win some more. We might not even know after their careers are over (like Montana/Marino).

It is hard for me to believe that anyone still thinks Brady is being underrated at this stage in his career. Who is doing this "rating" anyway? Sports pundits? The über-wankers on ESPN? Very little actual thinking ever takes place between those guys' ears...

Brady is considered clutch, highly-skilled, and, frankly, is adulated as one of the most perfect and most envied SOBs to ever walk the earth. His name is always mentioned in discussions of all-timers, and he's only 30. And the same people love Peyton's game, too. That sounds okay to me.

I'm not sure if some of these arguments are entirely fair. It's true that TB has more rings than PM, but that's not the end-all, be-all. It's definitely important, but it's not the final say in "who's the better QB."

After all, Eli Manning has more rings than most of the QB's in the NFL at this point. Does that mean he's better than all those without a ring? I'm sure most people (especially on here) would say "well that ring was mostly because of his defense." Which, I believe, is mostly true.

Do I think TB is absolutely clutch and a great QB? Yes, he is. I'm not trying to say he's not. What I am trying to say is that I think that the NE defense and Adam Viniatieri helped the Pats win those SB's just as much, if not more, than TB contributed to those wins. Again, I'm not denying that TB is a really great QB. He's worked with lousy receivers and done quite well. But the SB wins don't automatically mean he's better than PM just because I think NE's defense and AV had more to do with those wins than TB.

That's IMO, plaster me if you want, but there is some truth to my statements. In the end I think that it's almost impossible to tell until you look at their careers as a whole (after they're finished playing of course). Who knows? TB could win 3 more SB's, or PM could win some more. We might not even know after their careers are over (like Montana/Marino).

You can also make the argument that AV wouldn't have been in the position to make game winning FGs if not for Brady.

Peyton is the better QB without a doubt.

Tom has had more complete teams around him, and one hell of a kicker who carried him to atleast 2 of those championships. Peyton has more yards, more yardsper attempt, is way ahead in overall touchdowns, overall yards, 3,000 yard passing seasons (Tom just had his first, maybe second, Manning has more than 5)

He has more control of his offense than Tom, and he is from a football dynasty, even though they are close Peyton is still number one until Brady has more than one Peyton-like season. It took Brady to have the most productive offenses of all time, a offense that ran up the score and attempted 4th downs regularly, and had more than 50 more attempts, and he only beat Peytons TD record by 1, oh and Peyton sat out the last game

Last edited:

Tom has had more complete teams around him, and one hell of a kicker who carried him to atleast 2 of those championships. Peyton has more yards, more yardsper attempt, is way ahead in overall touchdowns, overall yards, 3,000 yard passing seasons (Tom just had his first, maybe second, Manning has more than 5)

He has more control of his offense than Tom, and he is from a football dynasty, even though they are close Peyton is still number one until Brady has more than one Peyton-like season. It took Brady to have the most productive offenses of all time, a offense that ran up the score and attempted 4th downs regularly, and had more than 50 more attempts, and he only beat Peytons TD record by 1

Kid, no offense, but this sort of post adds nothing to any serious discussion on the matter--you're just showing your own youth, and you will be carpet-bombed by the other side.

Tom has had more complete teams around him, and one hell of a kicker who carried him to atleast 2 of those championships. Peyton has more yards, more yardsper attempt, is way ahead in overall touchdowns, 3,000 yard passing seasons (Tom just had his first, maybe second, Manning has more than 5)

He has more control of his offense than Tom, and he is from football dynasty, even though they are close Peyton is still number one until Brady has mor ethan one Peyton-like season

What? Tom won a Super Bowl when his primary running back was Antowain Smith and his primary receiver was Troy Brown. Meanwhile, Manning inherited Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne. How can Vinatieri carry Brady to a Super Bowl when it was Brady's passes that put Vinatieri in the position to kick those field goals? Or do you think AV can hit a 70 yarder? As for the more 3,000 yard passing seasons, the Colts have been a primarily pass first, run second team since Peyton got there. It would be no suprise that the 3,000 yard passing seasons are much more than that of Brady's. But look what happened when we became a pass first, run second offense. Can you say greatest offense of all time? As for control of the offense, I think they are both level on that.

Last edited:

He has more control of his offense than Tom, and he is from a football dynasty, even though they are close Peyton is still number one until Brady has more than one Peyton-like season. It took Brady to have the most productive offenses of all time, a offense that ran up the score and attempted 4th downs regularly, and had more than 50 more attempts, and he only beat Peytons TD record by 1, oh and Peyton sat out the last game

Are you nuts???????????????????

What do you think Tommy's no's would look like of he was throwing to a HOF receiver his entire career like Peyton? He's got one under his belt, get ready for the second.

What? Tom won a Super Bowl when his primary running back was Antowain Smith and his primary receiver was Troy Brown. Meanwhile, Manning inherited Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne. How can Vinatieri carry Brady to a Super Bowl when it was Brady's passes that put Vinatieri in the position to kick those field goals? Or do you think AV can hit a 70 yarder? As for the more 3,000 yard passing seasons, the Colts have been a primarily pass first, run second team since Peyton got there. It would be no suprise that the 3,000 yard passing seasons are much more than that of Brady's. But look what happened when we became a pass first, run second offense. Can you say greatest offense of all time? As for control of the offense, I think they are both level on that.

When comparing QB's, SB's won is a big benchmark but not THE benchmark. When comparing individual passers, stats are the body of the work

Peyton has more Touchdowns, more passing yards, more passing yards per attempt, more touchdowns per attempt, more MVP's, more seasons leading the league in passing, and has had a average more efficient offense. These are just the stats I can name off of the top of my head

I cannot say last years pats offense was the greatest off all time because they couldn't do it when it counted, when it mattered and their offense (ie offensive line) lost them the superbowl and the championship, def not the best of all time one of the most productive but not the best

When comparing QB's, SB's won is a big benchmark but not THE benchmark. When comparing individual passers, stats are the body of the work

Peyton has more Touchdowns, more passing yards, more passing yards per attempt, more touchdowns per attempt, more MVP's, more seasons leading the league in passing, and has had a average more efficient offense. These are just the stats I can name off of the top of my head

You realize that you are walking straight into the clichéd Marino-Montana argument now, right?

I cannot say last years pats offense was the greatest off all time because they couldn't do it when it counted, when it mattered and their offense (ie offensive line) lost them the superbowl and the championship, def not the best of all time one of the most productive but not the best

Dude, Seriously - I'm all for good debate but your going down a slippery slope.

Ask Dan Marino about your theory on Passing Yards and not SUPER BOWLS

Last edited:
You realize that you are walking straight into the clichéd Marino-Montana argument now, right?

Indeed, he's in the middle of it and it won't end well for him.

Dude, Seriously - I'm all for good debate but your going down a slippery slope.

Ask Dan Marino about your theory on Passing Yards and not SUPER BOWLS

Except one problem with your argument, Marino has ZERO superbowls. Winning even one can make all the defense in the world, Peyton is no longer in Marino company

AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You just completely contradicted yourself without even realizing it. You just said Peyton is better than Tom because his stats are better despite Tom winning more Super Bowls. Than you turn around and say that our 2007 offense is not the greatest of all time because, despite having the best stats out of any offense, we couldn't win the Super Bowl.

Hey kid, don't worry about it though. They don't call me Kontradiction for nothing. :disagreement:

AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You just completely contradicted yourself without even realizing it. You just said Peyton is better than Tom because his stats are better despite Tom winning more Super Bowls. Than you turn around and say that our 2007 offense is not the greatest of all time because, despite having the best stats out of any offense, we couldn't win the Super Bowl.

Hey kid, don't worry about it though. They don't call me Kontradiction for nothing. :disagreement:

Hey kid, Nice try to spin my words, but what I actually said was "When comparing individual passers, Superbowls won is a big benchmark, but not THE benchmark"

Need to come a little harder than that, or improve your reading comprehension skills if you can't tell the difference

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back