PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does anyone think Tom is underrated when compared to Peyton Manning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginachen

On the Roster
Reaction score
Tom has obviously done much more with less other then last year, yet all the "experts" always say it's very close between them. I don't think Manning is even close, he's certainly a very good player, but he can't compared to Tom. Last November, ESPN did a comparison between them, they compared their "leadership". Some idiot said they are tie, because it's too close. WTF??? Tom never throw his temmate under the bus like Manning did. I t's just one of the thing Brady is underrated when compared to him. I think every thing Brady did is underrated when compared to Manning.

Well, I've never heard this comparison before

After the Steelers beat Indy 3 years ago in the playoffs at the RCA Dome to move on to their superbowl title, I'll never forget that post-game presser from Goober-18 when he all but be-headed his offensive line publicly in front of the entire nation. If I were blocking for him and I watched that, I would become an instant turnstyle and let him get hammered, I'm sure Jeff Saturday and Tarik Glenn were thinking the same thing watching that BS. There in lies the true difference. Tom, yes, the greatest QB to lace up pads would never, ever, ever diss any teammate no matter the situation, ever, period !!!!!!!! This guy could barely walk after the superbowl, you want to talk about having no offensive line and he stood up there and gave the Giants all the credit in the world, not one bad comment about anything, o-line or anything, nothing, that's Tom..............

All these years he has worked with Pop Warner wideouts (except last year finally) and he never complained, ever. That's a leader and that's why he'll always be better than G-18, man, to think if TB had Harrison and Wayne all these years and a nice cushy Dome to throw in, can you just imagine ???

Last edited by a moderator:
OK guy's I'll take this one

Tom hasn't been underated or been in anyones shadow since his first SB MVP.

Peyton Manning is a great regular season QB.

Tom Brady is a great regular season and one of the greatest post-season QB's of all-time.

OK guy's I'll take this one

Tom hasn't been underated or been in anyones shadow since his first SB MVP.
I acutally think 2002 (9-7) was the year he achieved recognition.

There was a lot of "fluke" and "one-year-wonder" stuff floating around after the SB, and many here thought we shuld have kept Bledsoe.

He did well in 2002, and played hurt at the end of the year.

After that, it was all glory.

you know I was just thinking about how I'd like to have this conversation again.

Tom brady is better than payton manning by a signifigant amount, thats not he's not a great qb, def. the second best in the league. Have you ever noticed that when people talk about payton, they talk about him possibly being the best qb in the league, but when they talk about brady, they talk about him possibly being the best qb ever?

PM is pretty darm good. Maybe not as clutch as Tom, but good nonetheless. I just hope that Colts fans get as nervous facing Tom as I get when we play PM.

Before last year maybe TB was underrated when compared to Peyton.

But since the 16-0 and the 50 TDs, I have never heard Manning in the same sentence of Brady's greatness by anyone. Seriously. Find me one link to a page that rates Manning higher than Brady in the last year.

Before last year maybe TB was underrated when compared to Peyton.

But since the 16-0 and the 50 TDs, I have never heard Manning in the same sentence of Brady's greatness by anyone. Seriously. Find me one link to a page that rates Manning higher than Brady in the last year.
I know. It just goes to show how stupid people are. Brady is great, not because he is a great QB, but because he has a great WR to throw to.

To me, Brady's greatest year was not throwing to Moss, but when his 1-2-3 receivers were Troy Brown, David "AFL" Patten (no way he should have made the team!) and Fred "XFL" Coleman. His tight ends were Rutledge and Wiggins. Rutledge could block but couldn't catch and Wiggins could catch but not block the opposing defenses know who to cover and who to ignore.

I know. It just goes to show how stupid people are. Brady is great, not because he is a great QB, but because he has a great WR to throw to.

To me, Brady's greatest year was not throwing to Moss, but when his 1-2-3 receivers were Troy Brown, David "AFL" Patten (no way he should have made the team!) and Fred "XFL" Coleman. His tight ends were Rutledge and Wiggins. Rutledge could block but couldn't catch and Wiggins could catch but not block the opposing defenses know who to cover and who to ignore.

Good call. I could make a case for Brady's greatest year being 2006 where his 1,2,3 were Caldwell, the dude with the dreads who was then cut, later Gaffney, and Brown. If they pull off that AFCCG in Indy, they would have surely beat up the Bears. Anyway, I feel like Brady should have been MVP that year only because of how pathetic that wide out lineup was and how far they got. Even maroney was young and indecisive and Dillon was slow. The highlight of Maroney in that postseason was his (unintentional) kick pass on the goal line to Mankins if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
I don't know. I always look at Brady and Manning as fairly on par with one another. I think Brady would be on pace to break all of Favre's/Marino's like Manning if he had quality WRs his entire career, but I think most people will always factor that into the comparisons.

I think for the rest of their careers Manning and Brady will be on an ever swaying pendulum of who is better. Every time the pendulum swings, people will claim that the debate is definitively over. And it will be until the next time the pendulum swings. Right now, the pendulum is definitely swaying towards Brady.

Brady has been considered one of the best of all time for a while now. I don't know if he can be really all that underrated. I think some of his skills were underappreciated until this year a bit because he didn't have the stats. But even without the stats, he was always considered one of the best of all times in terms of pocket prescence, decision making, intelligence, coolness under pressure, etc. This year just proved he could put up Madden type of production with quality talent around him just like Manning has done all these years.

I thought Brady's greatest year was actually the 2006 season. He had one of his better statistical years and were able to make the Pats offense above average with absolutely nothing around him. Reche Caldwell was his only consistent WR and he was a 2/3 WR playing a primary target role. The #2 WR spot was a revolving door of WRs. There was zero depth at the postion that started players who would be back ups on half the teams in the league. Corey Dillon seemed to workout his wrist more than his legs waiving for him to be taken out of the game because he was always tiring out. Maroney was injured for most of the season. Watson and Graham were inconsistent. With all that, Brady still got 3529 yards, 24 TDs, only 12 INTs, completed 61.8% of his passes, and had a 87.9 QB rating. Not his first or second best season numbers-wise, but up there.

Tom has obviously done much more with less other then last year, yet all the "experts" always say it's very close between them. I don't think Manning is even close, he's certainly a very good player, but he can't compared to Tom. Last November, ESPN did a comparison between them, they compared their "leadership". Some idiot said they are tie, because it's too close. WTF??? Tom never throw his temmate under the bus like Manning did. I t's just one of the thing Brady is underrated when compared to him. I think every thing Brady did is underrated when compared to Manning.

the most significant stat in judging a quarterback is the TD/INT ratio.

Brady's regular season TD/INT ratio is something like 2.35, which is outstanding. He has a sensational TD/INT ratio for the playoffs as well.

Peyton has decent regular season TD/INT but he's thrown 17 picks in the playoffs, which is not that good at all.

THe biggest difference between peyton and brady is that peyton throws a lot of picks.

This conversation reminds me of what I heard in the 80s/90s when talking Marino and Montana. Each year, Marino (Manning) would lead the league in yards, tds, and what not, and then Montana would go home with a ring, 4 times. That's how I view the Brady vs Manning arguement. They are both great QBs in their own right, but Brady gets it done in the post season, and Manning (except once) never seems to get it done.

Oh, and Marino had to play against Montana in his one superbowl appearance, Manning played against Rex Grossman, please. Anyway, that's the same discussion here. Manning vs Brady is the old Montana vs Marino conversation.

the most significant stat in judging a quarterback is the TD/INT ratio.

Brady's regular season TD/INT ratio is something like 2.35, which is outstanding. He has a sensational TD/INT ratio for the playoffs as well.

Peyton has decent regular season TD/INT but he's thrown 17 picks in the playoffs, which is not that good at all.

THe biggest difference between peyton and brady is that peyton throws a lot of picks.

I think the biggest difference between the two is that Peyton has been throwing to a HOF receiver his whole career.

Brady? Nope. He's got one year with Randy, and hopefully 3 more great years with lots of hardware.

Last edited:
This conversation reminds me of what I heard in the 80s/90s when talking Marino and Montana. Each year, Marino (Manning) would lead the league in yards, tds, and what not, and then Montana would go home with a ring, 4 times. That's how I view the Brady vs Manning arguement. They are both great QBs in their own right, but Brady gets it done in the post season, and Manning (except once) never seems to get it done.

Oh, and Marino had to play against Montana in his one superbowl appearance, Manning played against Rex Grossman, please. Anyway, that's the same discussion here. Manning vs Brady is the old Montana vs Marino conversation.

Exactly what I was going to post Dino... when people look back on this in 20 or so years, they are going to see Brady and Manning and all that is going to matter is how many Super Bowls each one won. Sure Manning has his one (more than Marino can say) but there is no question the media has been playing up the Brady-Montana, Manning-Marino resemblances for years.

This is going to be one of those arguments that no one ever wins. To me and many here, it is obvious that Brady is the superior quarterback, doing more with less, winning 3 SB, compared to 1.. no question in my mind. The national media jumped on Brady's jock last year because he was putting up unbelievable numbers.. I mean they always were on him, but last year the media was almost as annoying with Tom as they have been with Peyton for years, the attention reminds me of a damn little dog that tries doing things to your leg that just aren't right.

Who the hell cares? Why does everyone have to kiss the pats ass every minute. These are two of the best QBs of all time, both possibly top 5 of all time. We're lucky to have one of them on our team, and watch the great duels that have happened over the last 5 years. 90% of writers out there, after this past season, say brady's better, yet people want to talk about the 10% who disagree.

Sorry for the rant, but every post on this board is always about trivial negatives things, when we have such a great organization, with a very talented upcoming team, and so many positive things to talk about. Even when the pats win a game by 50, someone finds something negative to talk about.

IMO peyton can be the best quarterback of all time for all I care. I would rather Brady take home 3 or 4 more super bowls.

As far as comparing the two, I thought they were dead even going into last season. Manning had finally gotten the 10,000 pound gorilla off of his back, lead the comeback vs the Patriots in the AFC Championship game and on to the Super Bowl. Thought he had finally relaxed and learned how to win.

Then last year, Brady finally had quality weapons and was off the charts, while Manning couldn't pull out the game at home vs the Patriots, fumbling on the final drive and then lost to a depleted San Diego team at home in the playoffs.

Advantage; Tom Brady..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye