PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does anyone really believe this crap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't think Brady is "in decline" then I have a bridge to sell you. The guy is 37 and he's not Superman, regardless of what some forumites here think. The Brady of today is not as good as the Super Bowl MVP Brady, the guy who started 10-0 in the playoffs. This isn't to say he sucks, but it'll be 10 years since he last won a super bowl (and has a .500 playoff record since 2004) - and let's not forget, he hasn't really shined in any of the Pats playoff losses. It's not like, heck, Brady was phenomenal, but X team just had too much firepower.
Here's to hoping the team gets its collective head out of its arse and beats Minnesota next week.

And yes, I'll take Brady 2004 over Brady 2007

Brady may not be the same player he was, but he is still probably 95-97% of it. The Pats' struggles yesterday had nothing to do with Brady's decline. His struggles has to do with him being shell shocked from being hit so much. He always has had that problem. But then again, what QB doesn't.

It's funny but the Broncos had a similar second half last night as the Patriots. It wasn't as bad, but they punted 5 out of 6 times in the second half, they had 31 yards in the 3rd quarter, their longest drive other than the TD drive was 25 yards, and the defense had trouble stopping the Colts other than the red zone where the Colts struggled last year too (it is because they don't have a RB).

Yet all the stories I saw about the Broncos are they let their foot off the gas and Peter King opinined that it wasn't surprising that the Colts couldn't beat the Broncos without Mathis (did he even watch the game because Manning peed down his leg when he need to get just one first down to end the game?). Everyone is praising the additions to their defense even though Andrew Luck threw for 370 yards and Two TDs while giving them a gift INT (and both INTs were lucky bounces off of tipped balls). Obviously, they looked better overall than the Pats, but I don't get how the national discussion is the Pats are a disaster and the Broncos were awesome last night.

The Broncos didn't look nearly as inept in the trenches as the Pats did. Winning on the LOS is the main recipe for success in this league and the Pats got absolutely dominated on both sides of the ball while the Broncos did not. Further, the Broncos didn't get absolutely ran over on the defensive side of the ball against an interior OL that was makeshift at best (two of those guys were on the street in July) who were opening holes that were as wide as Moses parting the Dead Sea.

and lets not forget from 2007 until 2012 he had the best receiving core in the NFL and also 2010 2011 and 2012 were also the best OL's Brady ever had in his career not only age but a big drop off in talent on the roster has made brady look worst

They had the best receiving "core" in 2009-2012? Really?

The Broncos didn't look nearly as inept in the trenches as the Pats did. Winning on the LOS is the main recipe for success in this league and the Pats got absolutely dominated on both sides of the ball while the Broncos did not. Further, the Broncos didn't get absolutely ran over on the defensive side of the ball against an interior OL that was makeshift at best (two of those guys were on the street in July) who were opening holes that were as wide as Moses parting the Dead Sea.

Both teams looked bad in their own way. Personally, I think it is too early to make grande predictions of anyone.

That said, the Broncos offense looked lost last night in the second half. They had a bad running game and Manning was off. I don't think they deserve the media beating the Pats are getting, but I don't think they deserve the ball washing either. And the Peter King comments are just stupid (it isn't surprising that the Colts couldn't beat Manning without Mathis) since the Colts has a fourth and goal on the one and ran the worst QB sneak in NFL history and on the next drive failed to get a TD on drive when they had a first and goal on the four yard line.

No pretty way to spin it: Our offensive line literally looked like the worst in the league yesterday, and it isn't fair at all to Tom. If this continues, it'll finally be fair to really start criticizing Belichick the GM.

But it won't continue.

In 2011 we sometimes, early on, looked real bad. The media began really constructing the Patriots BB/Brady era coffin after we dropped to 5-3 with that loss to the Giants. I had never seen or heard before them announce our organization's demise with that level of confidence while at the same time dismissively and nonchalant. The Patriots were yesterday's news.

That was our Sergio Brown secondary.

We won every game to follow and went to the Superbowl that year.

Losing before week 4 is always a punch in the face, and losing week #1 seems worst of all, but until a season passes where the Patriots prove they aren't going to turn into post-Thanksgiving football Superbowl favorites, they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

This team will be everything we thought it would be, and our competition for the #1 seed has a lot of tough games ahead. We'll get that loss back

It's all over. Brady will soon make Geno Smith look like a HOFer. Revis got beat on a play and now he sucks forever. Wilfolk is too fat and horrible, Vellano is too small and horrible. Oline is horrible and will be all year. Everyone stinks.

There will never, ever be any improvement at all. We all know Belichick the blabbermouth is the world's worst teacher and his whole staff and all the players and the cheerleaders and the Krafts and Ernie and everyone are losers and don't know anything. RayRay knows more.

Minnesota will blow them out. A much better team. No need to watch anymore. The Pats are going 1-15, getting the No. 1 pick and our "Super Bowl" will be a lone win over the Toesucker Jets in OT.

You know it's all true. The trolls all said so. :rolleyes::eek:o_O
My God, you sound just like Lou Merloni on WEEI_today...

Both teams looked bad in their own way. Personally, I think it is too early to make grande predictions of anyone.

That said, the Broncos offense looked lost last night in the second half. They had a bad running game and Manning was off. I don't think they deserve the media beating the Pats are getting, but I don't think they deserve the ball washing either. And the Peter King comments are just stupid (it isn't surprising that the Colts couldn't beat Manning without Mathis) since the Colts has a fourth and goal on the one and ran the worst QB sneak in NFL history and on the next drive failed to get a TD on drive when they had a first and goal on the four yard line.

Peyton's going to get his balls washed by the media regardless but you asked why the Pats are getting piled on so hard as opposed to the Broncos. The trenches are the reasons why. I honestly can't remember the last time the Pats looked so totally inept on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball in the Belichick era. It's a major issue that shouldn't go unnoticed.

Peyton's going to get his balls washed by the media regardless but you asked why the Pats are getting piled on so hard as opposed to the Broncos. The trenches are the reasons why. I honestly can't remember the last time the Pats looked so totally inept on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball in the Belichick era. It's a major issue that shouldn't go unnoticed.

But it was just one game. I am not putting much stock in it until we see it happen for more than a half (at least on the offensive side). The o-line was pretty decent in the first half. Far from perfect, but the talk going into the first half was how efficient the offense looked.

I saw an O-line suck continuously, and a D-line underwhelm as well.

The silver lining on the O-line part is that I think we have decent individual talent, and when that is the case, it usually gets improved without huge personnel changes. It takes small tweaks, experience, and developing the non-verbal instincts that are reflective of trusting one another and knowing what is up to you and what is not up to you.

D-line?

In some ways that disappointed me more, cause it;s not like people had huge role changes all of a sudden.

I saw an O-line suck continuously, and a D-line underwhelm as well.

The silver lining on the O-line part is that I think we have decent individual talent, and when that is the case, it usually gets improved without huge personnel changes. It takes small tweaks, experience, and developing the non-verbal instincts that are reflective of trusting one another and knowing what is up to you and what is not up to you.

D-line?

In some ways that disappointed me more, cause it;s not like people had huge role changes all of a sudden.

I think the d-line can be fixed by moving to a 4-3. I think they have 4-3 personnel and I think the DE/DTs are too small to be 3-4 DEs. Guys like Easley and Jones can be effective as 4-3 DTs though at least in some packages (in Jones' case). A 265 lb Chandler Jones playing a 3-4 DE is ludicrous. I was for the move when they were using him at OLB where he excelled during the offseason. At DE, he is just going to be eaten up.

Brady is as good as he has ever been in my opinion. You can make a case for Belichick either way; he does not seem as involved or as aware of the happenings on his team as he once did, either that or he does not have the support system he once had.

Clearly, Matt Patricia is not a very good coach, I cannot think of another coordinator that worked under Belichick as long as Patricia has without being mentioned as a head-coaching candidate. He is the first defensive coordinator I have ever seen that does not have a ****ing scheme. McDaniels may have been damaged beyond repair in his time away from Belichick and the Patriots, the decision he makes with personnel, and his game plans are consistently questionable since he returned in 2012.

The personnel decision has hurt us, this year’s draft class produced 1 tackle total yesterday, no yards, not turnovers, nothing, not even a rushing attempt or a good block. This follows up years of failed early draft picks like Wilson, Bequette, Dowling, etc. Then look at UFA decisions, Lloyd, Amendola, Fells, Hooman, Salas, Larsen, all the former Rams and Broncos that McDaniels wanted have contributed very little if anything. Tommy Kelly, Adrian Wilson, Shaun Ellis, Chad Johnson, Jonathan Fanene, Haynesworth, and others did very little and were out of New England within 18 months of their signings.

I think what concerns me most is not the mistakes in personnel, or even giving a murderer $40M and being so removed from your team that you do not even know whom you are really paying. I could get past all of that, but the fact that are young players often regress more than they progress is the thing that I cannot get past. Harmon is what Wilson was in 2013; Ryan is behind Arrington and an UDFA. Ridley went from having one of the best seasons by a Patriots runner ever to me holding my breath every time he has the ball. Solder has gone backwards every year since 2012. Donta Hightower’s best season was his rookie season. McCourty after an all-pro rookie season at cornerback had to convert to safety. These happenings they are unbearable for me to watch, they make me question a coach who I for the past 14 years have seen as a personal idol of mine, and the greatest to ever do it.

Belichick has had arguable the best player in the NFL for the past decade, a player who has won 2 MVPs and he has been unable to put him the position to win a Super Bowl. When we had the offense to do it, the defense could not do it and let us down, now we have the defense (supposedly) and we do not have the offensive players to do it. It is simple things, such as when you know that the OL was very poor last season, so the goal should be to improve it, instead you trade away the best player on the unit to save a few bucks. Alternatively, drafting a QB in the second round when you have obvious and immediate needs especially on the OL to protect your current GOAT QB who is signed for 4 more seasons and gives you the best shot at winning a Super Bowl. If the Texans, Rams, Bucs, and other teams did not feel the need to draft a QB in the second round I cannot understand why the hell Belichick thought that should be a priority for the Patriots.

Now I fully expect some of the homers to take issue with what I have said here, and maybe you will make some valid points, but there is not an excuse for each and every thing I said in my post. I am being honest, I am disappointed in what I have seen in recent years, and not because it has been bad play or we are a losing team, but because it has been, mistakes that a coach of Belichick’s level should not be making. Belichick wants to walk away the greatest coach in history, so the standard and expectation for him is higher; mistakes every other coach make are not acceptable for the best ever.

Well if more games than not he is throwing 2-18 on passes > 15 yards, then its safe to say hes on a decline. Luckily it's just one data point in a 16 game season, no panic button pressing just yet.

Yes, Brady's decline is upon us. He's still great and one of the league's top five QBs, probably one of the top three, but he's 37 years old. Of course he's not as good as he was a few years ago. If you yourself engage in any sort of exercise then you should know that. ************, get a grip.

Why are you surprised? This happens all the time with every Patriot loss. Expect to see it again next time Pats lose. We are also guilty of getting to excited when they win

Yeah, the protection sucked, didn't it. Well, hopefully Mankins' injury won't keep him out of next week's game, we sure need him....

oops...my bad.

I think the d-line can be fixed by moving to a 4-3. I think they have 4-3 personnel and I think the DE/DTs are too small to be 3-4 DEs. Guys like Easley and Jones can be effective as 4-3 DTs though at least in some packages (in Jones' case). A 265 lb Chandler Jones playing a 3-4 DE is ludicrous. I was for the move when they were using him at OLB where he excelled during the offseason. At DE, he is just going to be eaten up.
It is sort of laughable that Chandler Jones is playing the same position as his 337lb brother Arthur Jones.

Brady 2-16 on passes over 15 yards yesterday. .....hmmm...was he ever THAT bad????

Brady 2-16 on passes over 15 yards yesterday. .....hmmm...was he ever THAT bad????
In 2001 when he took over it seemed that he never attempted, let alone completed, anything over 15 yards. It was largely bubble screens, short square outs and screens to the backs. That said, yesterday was major league uggo...

Also, the Broncos' pass rush wasn't getting there for fundamentally different reasons, namely that Luck has real mobility and escapes the pocket well when it breaks down. If Miller's performance last night is the start of a pattern, then that might be something to be worried about, but they weren't outclassed to the degree that the Pats were.

There are a few guys whose arms are so strong that they don't need a pocket to step up into. Brady has never been one of those guys.

Why do people act like it's a coincidence that Brady's deep throws got noticeably worse the moment Wendell took over as the starting center?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back