PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does anyone on this board have one LEGITIMATE reason to attack Dungy????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Show me where anyone said this.

Quoted directly from this thread

1.Hey, Jesus had to suffer. What makes Dungy any different? He'll be canonized before you know it!

2.I have a special spot of dislike for phonies like Dungy who claim some mantle of moral superiority but love the spotlight. It stinks to me. He's full of sh*t.

3.His ego is IMMENSE, but he hides it behind a good, humble Christian facade. He hates gays. He aligned himself with a group who wanted to pass legislation to make it a legal requirement to tell women seeking an abortion that life begins at conception and that the fetus will feel pain.

4.besides his ultra-religious, i'm-a-better-person-than-you bull**** attitude,
he's a lying sack of garbage

5. He emphasizes that not only is it important that a black coach won the Super Bowl, but more importantly, a Christian coach won it.

6 I'm assuming he thinks a bunch of Jewish and Muslim coaches won the Bowl before? Maybe Atheists or Wiccans? What makes him the first Christian coach to win it? Is he, maybe, a bit holier than thou? What conclusion am I supposed to draw from this?

7 Well, it's important that we know the faiths of all of our Superbowl-winning coaches. I also believe you can't be a good priest unless you know how to beat the zone blitz.

8 YES! Dead-on! I was even told that catholics are not christian. Uhh...wtf?! I have come to realize that these born-again types are so brainwashed and indoctrinated it's frightening. They remind me of the children of the corn, "Have yew found jay-sus?"...nah, lemme check under the mattress. I have also come to find that those most vocal about their faith are often the worst people.

I stopped at Page 3

Last edited:
So far we have some classic idiotic reasoning from many users on this board

1) He's a christian, therefore he is the devil

2) OMG he doesnt support Gay marriage?? he's a BIGOT

3) His son killed himself, so he must be a horrible father

4) he wrote a BOOK, and he's a COACH. WTF is he doing???

5) He's always so holy, holy this, holy that

6) he said it was a "sad day for the NFL" when spygate happened

7) He doesn't cuss??? **** him then

Come on, you all can do better than that

I like the way a troll from another board comes over here, seeks to define the term "legitimate" for the benefit of the rest of us (and to his own, and own team's, advantage), and then demands that we - WE - conform to him!

Uh-uh. Set up your own definitions over at your own board. Not over here.

I see sanctimony and sophistry run rampant in Coltland.

Why don't you come back on Sunday night or Monday and reposit this question to us? Maybe we'll have a different opinion of him then....(although I'm inclined to doubt it)....

So far we have some classic idiotic reasoning from many users on this board

1) He's a christian, therefore he is the devil

2) OMG he doesnt support Gay marriage?? he's a BIGOT

3) His son killed himself, so he must be a horrible father

4) he wrote a BOOK, and he's a COACH. WTF is he doing???

5) He's always so holy, holy this, holy that

6) he said it was a "sad day for the NFL" when spygate happened

7) He doesn't cuss??? **** him then

Come on, you all can do better than that

I used to like Dungy but I no longer do and here are my reasons.
1) He is a slective in his "Sad Days" for the NFL. Was it a "Sad Day" when the Colts piped in music against the Steelers?
2) He is homophobic. Bible says you should not have interfaith marriages. (2 Cor. 6:14) Is Tony against Jews, Christians and Muslims intermarrying? Come on Tony do not be selective. I can't stand guys who hide behind religious books to expose their bigotry.
3) He is an average coach. How many times did the Colts underachieve in the past 6 years? What changes did he really bring to Indy? It took Gruden 1 season to convert his Tampa team into a superbowl winner.

I could go on but I'll leave it there...

But those of you sying Dungy is "pushing a agenda" thats just insane to me, the man doesn't gloat, he's never said he was better than anyone else, the biggest negative most of you hve against him is that he believes strongly in his faith and religon. I know it's the "in" thing to be anti-christian or even anti-religious thee days but Dungy has never been one of those radical self serving bible thumpers that he is made out to be, he is one of the most humble coaches there hs ever been IMO

I have zero problem with the man's faith. I do not like people who are sanctimonious about their religion. We're all intelligent adults here (well...), and we all know that often when people play the holier than thou card in public, they sit by themselves, smile, and say, "damn, it's great to be me." I do not like those people, and I believe that I can recognize them. Tony Dungy is one of them.

I've never liked the guy. He's a sanctimonious windbag who attacks others in the most passive "Hey, I'm Tony Dungy and I'm smiling, so I can say whatever I like and you'll love me" way. He and Polian couldn't beat the Pats on the field, so they consistently campaigned for "re-emphasis" of rules that would most benefit them, instead of beating New England at their own game. His ego is IMMENSE, but he hides it behind a good, humble Christian facade. He hates gays. He aligned himself with a group who wanted to pass legislation to make it a legal requirement to tell women seeking an abortion that life begins at conception and that the fetus will feel pain.

I truly feel for him because his kid killed himself, but that doesn't make him any more likable in my eyes.

I agree with much of this. I don't hate the guy, and obviously he is a good coach. But I do think some of this off-field stuff has gone to his head. He seems to believe he's some kind of religiously righteous civil rights figure entitled to speak above and beyond his station as a football coach. His comment about "spygate" being "a dark day for the NFL" made me want to puke. And he obviously OK'd the title of that book about him, which in itself seems a bit self-aggrandizing.

1.Hey, Jesus had to suffer. What makes Dungy any different? He'll be canonized before you know it!

2.I have a special spot of dislike for phonies like Dungy who claim some mantle of moral superiority but love the spotlight. It stinks to me. He's full of sh*t.

3.His ego is IMMENSE, but he hides it behind a good, humble Christian facade. He hates gays. He aligned himself with a group who wanted to pass legislation to make it a legal requirement to tell women seeking an abortion that life begins at conception and that the fetus will feel pain.

4.besides his ultra-religious, i'm-a-better-person-than-you bull**** attitude,
he's a lying sack of garbage

5. He emphasizes that not only is it important that a black coach won the Super Bowl, but more importantly, a Christian coach won it.

6 I'm assuming he thinks a bunch of Jewish and Muslim coaches won the Bowl before? Maybe Atheists or Wiccans? What makes him the first Christian coach to win it? Is he, maybe, a bit holier than thou? What conclusion am I supposed to draw from this?

7 Well, it's important that we know the faiths of all of our Superbowl-winning coaches. I also believe you can't be a good priest unless you know how to beat the zone blitz.

8 YES! Dead-on! I was even told that catholics are not christian. Uhh...wtf?! I have come to realize that these born-again types are so brainwashed and indoctrinated it's frightening. They remind me of the children of the corn, "Have yew found jay-sus?"...nah, lemme check under the mattress. I have also come to find that those most vocal about their faith are often the worst people.

I stopped at Page 3

Uh, references to religion aren't an attack upon it. Nothing...NOTHING...you posted is an attack on Dungy's faith; they're an attack on Dungy's using his faith to hide his hypocrisy and bigoted views.

I hope they're not all this simpleminded in America's heartland.

See, alot of this also has to do with the complete difference in our part of America to your part of America. In the northeast, we're majority Catholic, most of us don't go to church, we don't know (or care) what the Bible says, we vote blue, and religion is often seen as a more personal matter. We drink, we fight, we work, we support gay marriage, etc. etc. I know that's not the description of everyone from Boston or New York or whatnot but its close enough.

Out in the heartland there's still that Mayberry complex. God, family, and whatnot are the key words. Forget the fact that Indy is a bigger city than Boston by nearly a time and a half, that's somewhat irrelevant. You have a larger Evangelical community and your values are different, probably closer to Dungy's, while ours are closer to the industrious and "godless" Belichick. Perfect fits for both spots.

America's a big place. There's such a huge culture gap in the various regions.

Some years ago there was a book out called, "The 9 Nations Of North America", which in effect said the same thing. It was an interesting read, probably ahead of it's time.

Not that this adds anything to the thread...just thought I'd point it out because of your insight.:)

Okay, Boomer, did you get your question answered? Not everybody likes him--shocker.

Some years ago there was a book out called, "The 9 Nations Of North America", which in effect said the same thing. It was an interesting read, probably ahead of it's time.

Not that this adds anything to the thread...just thought I'd point it out because of your insight.:)

I'll have to pick it up. Thanks for the recommendation.

Uh, references to religion aren't an attack upon it. Nothing...NOTHING...you posted is an attack on Dungy's faith; they're an attack on Dungy's using his faith to hide his hypocrisy and bigoted views.

I hope they're not all this simpleminded in America's heartland.

When the main "punchline" in these posts are religious based it is OBVIOUS where the majority of the real beef is. I don't disagree that there are other things some of you don't like about Dungy, but him being a strong Christian has just thrown more full on the fire, and it is a attack on his faith. What I keep hearing is why does it matter what religion he is? Why would he say it was important that a Christan coach won the SB? If thats the case, why does it matter that Dungy is christian. People just make snide remarks and comments and take pot shots at his faith, cause like I said thats the in thing to do.

And what exactly makes Dungy a hypocrit?? or is this more biased nonsense

I'm done with this argument

Last edited:
Seriously, this thread needs to be CLOSED.

This thread has become an anti-Christian, abortion rights, gay rights thread.

I have a little problem with Dungy equating what Barry Bonds assumingly did, and what Bill Belichick assumingly did, and I despise the media for using the 'good vs evil' phrase for sensationalism purposes, but other than that, I cannot see anyone having any problems with Tony Dungy personally.

MODS....you need to close this thread, it has gotten completely out of control.

I stopped at Page 3

I'm responsible for those 2. Explain to me how those are an attack on religion please? Better yet, can you tell me what Dungy means when he writes this? And then tell me where in the bible gets his views on homosexuality from?

I don't hate Dungy. Actually, he is irrelevant to me. Just another pin to knock over on the way to the Super Bowl.

But, since you asked, I'll step out and your alleged "issues of idoitic reasoning". Here we go:

1) "He's a Christian."

How do we know that? Because he'll tell you he is and all the wonderful things he does, etc. How very Christian of him.

2) "OMG he doesnt support Gay marriage?? he's a BIGOT"

Is he gay? Then what business of his is it to judge whether what another person does is right or wrong. Betcha this ties back to the Christian thing!

3) "His son killed himself, so he must be a horrible father"

No, his son killed himself, so he must not have been an unattentive father. A terrible tragedy for the departed and for those left behind. This doesn't make him horrible. Just makes him somewhat confused on where his priorities should be. Bill Belichick lost a marriage for the same reason. I bet both of them are sorry and would do things differently if they had a chance.

4) "he wrote a BOOK, and he's a COACH. WTF is he doing???"

Whoever said that? Belichick wrote a book. Of course he didn't tell you on every third page what a great Christian he was like Dungy.

5) "He's always so holy, holy this, holy that"

He makes this bed for himself. He has chosen to adopt his owner's cry-baby complaining style instead of calling Polian up and saying, "Bill, would you let me coach the team and shut the fark up please?" (Whoops, forgot. He doesn't cuss - see #7)

6) "he said it was a "sad day for the NFL" when spygate happened"

He jumped right on that she-ite, didn't he? Not only did he quote on it when he should have just said "Next question", but there is every reason to believe he and his drunken owner pushed for the sanctions that were handed down on the Pats.

Not too worry. Their payback is coming on Sunday.

Oh, and I am sure all the other teams are thanking him, as well, as they are getting mercy-ruled by the Pats!

7) "He doesn't cuss??? **** him then"

I just don't trust a man that doesn't cuss. Plain and simple. It ain't natural-like.

"Come on, you all can do better than that"

We just did!

Pats 45, Colts 17.

And the new motto of the 2007 New England Patriots?

"Next."

Last edited:
When the main "punchline" in these posts are religious based it is OBVIOUS where the majority of the real beef is. I don't disagree that there are other things some of you don't like about Dungy, but him being a strong Christian has just thrown more full on the fire, and it is a attack on his faith. What I keep hearing is why does it matter what religion he is? Why would he say it was important that a Christan coach won the SB? If thats the case, why does it matter that Dungy is christian. People just make snide remarks and comments and take pot shots at his faith, cause like I said thats the in thing to do.

I'm done with this argument

This is what makes you hypocritical. You're assuming that the very people that are questioning Dungy's comments about being the first Christian coach to win the Super Bowl are coming from people who aren't religious. Why are you making that assumption? This is what bugs me about Dungy as well. Why does he assume the other coaches aren't religious god-fearing Christians? Not to mention Jew or Muslims?

Boomer, you have alot of damn nerve coming here and in essence calling us out for "attacking" Dungy....have you seen how Belichick and the rest of the Pats organization, are treated on the indystar board? Dungy is treated by this board with kid gloves compared to that.

When the main "punchline" in these posts are religious based it is OBVIOUS where the majority of the real beef. I don't disagree that there are other things some of you don't like about Dungy, but him being a strong Christian has just thrown more full on the fire, and it is a attack on his faith. What I keep hearing is why does it matter what religion he is? Why would he say it was important that a Christan coach won the SB? If thats the case, why does it matter that Dungy is christian. People just make snide remarks and comments and take pot shots at his faith, cause like I said thats the in thing to do.

People listed a litany of reasons to not like Dungy. You just chose to latch onto the Christian thing. He could have stood on the podium and said, "I'm the first member of the NRA to win a Superbowl! This is a great day for the nation, rifles, and associations!" and it would have been just as irritating. Don't project your own religious insecurities onto those of us who don't find others wearing their religion (or lack thereof) on their sleeves in an attempt to put themselves above others to be all that endearing.

It's like vegans: they might be the most annoying people alive, simply because they feel you simply must know that they're vegan. Don't even get me started on people who wear their religious icons as clothing accessories.

I find anyone who crows about anything to just be a gigantic pain in my ass.

Seriously, this thread needs to be CLOSED.

This thread has become an anti-Christian, abortion rights, gay rights thread.

I have a little problem with Dungy equating what Barry Bonds assumingly did, and what Bill Belichick assumingly did, and I despise the media for using the 'good vs evil' phrase for sensationalism purposes, but other than that, I cannot see anyone having any problems with Tony Dungy personally.

MODS....you need to close this thread, it has gotten completely out of control.

Oh, shut the hell up. The thread needs to be closed because you can't see why anyone wouldn't like Dungy? Crawl back under your rock.

Apparently there's a very fine line between "quiet strength" and passive-aggressive judgement of others. Dungy thinks he falls one way, I'm definite he falls the other.

I think I'll go register at Indystar and start this exact same thread about our coach. What do you think the response will be?

Anybody that expects an NFL coach to be a role model or satisfy critics is in La La Land.

I don't dislike any of the coaches because I never expected them to be saints. I gave up on that fallacy long ago.

I find it repulsive that some try to pass themselves off as saints, but that's part of their expected down side to me. I find it to be disingenuous and having an ulterior motive that feels slimy to me.

But again, I don't really expect more than that anyway. Who the hell do we think these guys are, gods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots