PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does anyone else hope the Welker deal falls through?

Status
Not open for further replies.
plus, he is electric as a returner!

Why do I keep reading this?

He is an average return man who we could trust not to drop the ball. He was 15th in the league in PR and 28th in KR last year. It was 11th and 21st the year before, 5th and 14th the year before that. That isn't anywhere near electric.

There is nothing wrong with having an average PR/KR who is also a dependable slot WR. Maroney and Hobbs are much better KR but have too big a role in the offense and defense to be our #1 KR. We should be very happy to substitute a solid returner like Welker for them. He's not a gamebreaker. We don't need to make him out to be something he isn't.

Last edited:
It's a good deal,like alot of poster stated...Have faith in BB&SP they know how judge players better then me or you....We are going to win to win year in,year out....Be thankful for haveing BB&SP on our team...

Until salary info is released I have no clue about how I feel about the contract being offered to Welker. I'm alright with the draft pick compensation since we aren't going to be able to use all of our picks anyhow and, even if we did spend a 2nd on a Welker type player, no way would that pick contribute this year as Welker will.

On the field I believe Welker will prove to be a productive player for us. He reminds me of a Wayne Chrebet type player who, while never one you would consider to be a dominating receiver, was always someone who'd consistantly kill you out on the field. Any ST's contributions he provides I consider a bonus.

I hope the deal for Welker goes through. Then all we need to do is find a way to acquire Randy Moss and a capable ILB and we can book our 4th SB title. Use whatever draft picks is left to find youthful depth/development types because we won't need any starters out of the draft.

I don't want it to fall through.

So much so that I registered to the site just to respond to this one.

If the Patriots were to draft a receiver in the 2nd round that caught 67 passes for 687 yards next season... AND return punts and kicks (filling the old Tim Dwight/Troy Brown role), then everyone would dance in the Boston streets over it.

But there is a huge risk in drafting a WR. Look at last year's Chad Jackson selection. Jackson certainly didn't put up the above numbers.

So signing Welker, who's still very young, gives the Pats a PROVEN player, ....(excerpt)

Well analyzed JPatriot! and welcome to the site - keep it coming.

As was said above and echo'ed by several other previous posts - this is a good thing for all of the above (and more).
Summary:
1) BB and SP very fiscal responsible (so I would expect the contract to be..)
2) Weaken a divisional opponent who usually takes one game from us each year
3) Definately a position (WR) in need
4) we have the cap space to do it
5) Drafting is always a gamble but especially so with WR's. Peter King recently reported that of the 30 most recently drafted FIRST ROUND receivers only 15 of them have been productive. Dr Z. has also written it is also hard to draft wisely (first day) at the wide receiver position.
6) this would get Welker here in the Spring (not Summer) to start learning the system and work on timing with Brady
7) the 2nd round pick is late in the round # 60 overall to be precise

and last but certainly not least
8) even if the Pats DO draft a future WR stud with that #60 th pick (or one of the first rounders) -the Pats are built to win the Super Bowl NOW and we need the WR receptions THIS COMING SEASON and not just 2-3 years from now.

David Givens and Troy Brown and MANY others took time to develop into what they became. Or would you rather use the 2nd round pick and instead of Wes Welker - draft again our recent 2nd round picks: Chad Jackson, Marquise Hill, Eugene Wilson, or Bethel Johnson ? Wes Welker (see stats above) beats all of those draft picks hands down - and those 2nd rounders were chosen by some of the BEST draft pickers in the business (BB and SP).

'nough said - can I go home now? Oh, geez - I am home, ...in the lovely state of confusion. :) Greetings from Denmark.

this is a good signing. we don't need to draft another rookie wr who will have trouble with his body adjusting to the nfl and who will have difficulty learning routes. welker is a good lockerroom vet. 40 times and size can be misleading. the first 20 yards of the 40 is the most important.

No one knows anything about the numbers, so I'm reserving comment on that.

I love that our team will be strengthened while simultaneously weakening a division rival. The draft pick doesn't bother me as much....as many have stated, the draft is hit or miss. Welker is a proven commodity and a definite loss for Miami.

There's a kind of beauty to the fact that Miami will lose something regardless of what they do.

Last edited:
I don't want it to fall through.

So much so that I registered to the site just to respond to this one.

If the Patriots were to draft a receiver in the 2nd round that caught 67 passes for 687 yards next season... AND return punts and kicks (filling the old Tim Dwight/Troy Brown role), then everyone would dance in the Boston streets over it.

But there is a huge risk in drafting a WR. Look at last year's Chad Jackson selection. Jackson certainly didn't put up the above numbers.

So signing Welker, who's still very young, gives the Pats a PROVEN player, rather than a complete rookie. And one could expect that just as Caldwell and Gafney were made better by Brady, so, too, will Welker.

So that takes care of the loss of the 2nd round pick portion of the argument.

As for the salary being tossed around, take a look at the Pioli/Belichick history and you'll find example after example of fiscal responsibility. That track record should assure everyone that Welker's deal will be front-loaded, and MUST contain some poison pill clause in the contract (ie: the money is all guaranteed if Welker plays more than 5 games in Miami in a season).

So the money shouldn't be a concern... unless Belichick and Pioli have completely thrown out their past practices over a #2/#3 WR/KR/PR... and I doubt they have.

On top of that, Belichick has game-planned against Welker. He has watched him play pretty darn well against the Pats. So he's now taken one of the Dolphins' few weapons and made it his own.

And the Dolphins receive said 2nd round draft pick (bottom of the 2nd round), while New England still has 2 picks in the first 2 rounds... they just happen to fall at 24 and 28.

Not sure why all the excitement about Sammy Morris and Kyle Brady, who will be role players, but this one seems to make sense on almost every level to me.

Just my take.

holy crap....great first (or first couple) posts man...keep up the good work and....welcome!!!

I know I should have more faith in BB but this is too high a price to pay for this guy! I know alot of you are questioning this move but is there anyone besides me that's hoping for the Fins to match? (they won't I know)

$3 million a season is too high a price for a proven WR? If your point is that pro athletes get too much money then I agree.

If your point is that this is a high price for a proven WR in the NFL then you are sorely misinformed.

I dunno $38.5 million seems alot for a slot reciever.

Ok Im kidding.

NM

I'm really worried about the effect this is having on our posters.

I think BB and Pioli should put their personal feelings aside and trade for Moss or trade our whole draft for Calvin Johnson.

It's the only considerate thing to do.:)

I think that we should trade our whole draft for Ricky Williams instead. Then Ricky could say that 2 teams traded an entire draft for him :)

Why do I keep reading this?

He is an average return man who we could trust not to drop the ball. He was 15th in the league in PR and 28th in KR last year. It was 11th and 21st the year before, 5th and 14th the year before that. That isn't anywhere near electric.

There is nothing wrong with having an average PR/KR who is also a dependable slot WR. Maroney and Hobbs are much better KR but have too big a role in the offense and defense to be our #1 KR. We should be very happy to substitute a solid returner like Welker for them. He's not a gamebreaker. We don't need to make him out to be something he isn't.

Because you insist on looking at these things in a vacuum. Maimi's blocking for their return teams was garbage. Particularly on kick returns. You can't just look at Welker's average and say he is average. You have to look at the entire picture.

Welker may not be a game breaker, but I believe we will see him put up 26-28 yards per return on kick-offs.

suckers...

You people are funny. As far as fans go you're all stinking with arrogance(speaking of stink, I'm holding my breath as I write this in your foul Patriots message board). I'm here to tell you loud and clear: Enjoy Wes Welker.

You just gave Miami a second rounder in a draft loaded with talent for a No. 3 receiver. We are not upset about turning him over to a division rival. Why would we? Not for a the price you're paying for him. Maybe it's just so you New Englanders get the chance to say his name all the time with that horrible accent that you tend to use without discretion. 'friggin' Wes Wel-kah'

Seriously, reading you're posts, you would think you're talking about adding a serious game-breaking talent to your team. He's a good player to have, but he's not going to win you games. He will keep drives alive now and then, but what did you really get for a second rounder? A capable return man and an efficient wideout. Miami will likely find a better playmaker with the pick you just handed over.

We can talk about how Welker finished '06 as the Fins' No. 1 receiving option, but when you think about it, it's only because Joey Harrington didn't trust his arm or Miami's weak O-line enough to throw to a WR down the field. Instead, he used Welker as a safety net. All the time.

Bottom line is we got him for nothing and sent him off for a lot more. So keep wetting your pants on the fact that Belichick 'stole' one of Miami's playmakers. I am waiting to see what a proven GM in Randy Mueller will do with that valuable draft pick. Remember, Miami's not dealing with the Rick Spielman era any longer. Hopefully, we'll add another nasty defensive lineman to help us continue to batter your hero Tom Brady.

Thanks, New England!

Re: suckers...

You people are funny. As far as fans go you're all stinking with arrogance(speaking of stink, I'm holding my breath as I write this in your foul Patriots message board). I'm here to tell you loud and clear: Enjoy Wes Welker.

You just gave Miami a second rounder in a draft loaded with talent for a No. 3 receiver. We are not upset about turning him over to a division rival. Why would we? Not for a the price you're paying for him. Maybe it's just so you New Englanders get the chance to say his name all the time with that horrible accent that you tend to use without discretion. 'friggin' Wes Wel-kah'

Seriously, reading you're posts, you would think you're talking about adding a serious game-breaking talent to your team. He's a good player to have, but he's not going to win you games. He will keep drives alive now and then, but what did you really get for a second rounder? A capable return man and an efficient wideout. Miami will likely find a better playmaker with the pick you just handed over.

We can talk about how Welker finished '06 as the Fins' No. 1 receiving option, but when you think about it, it's only because Joey Harrington didn't trust his arm or Miami's weak O-line enough to throw to a WR down the field. Instead, he used Welker as a safety net. All the time.

Bottom line is we got him for nothing and sent him off for a lot more. So keep wetting your pants on the fact that Belichick 'stole' one of Miami's playmakers. I am waiting to see what a proven GM in Randy Mueller will do with that valuable draft pick. Remember, Miami's not dealing with the Rick Spielman era any longer. Hopefully, we'll add another nasty defensive lineman to help us continue to batter your hero Tom Brady.

Thanks, New England!

Thank YOU, HIGHami.

Chambers is what pundits call an enigma, which means he looks great on paper, comes up big occasionally, and is invisible (except when dropping passes) the rest of the time. Who else do you have to catch the ball? McMichael? If he's still there, and able to stay on the right side of the law, I guess you've got ONE reliable receiver.

While you figure out that Cameron isn't head-coaching material, watch your defense age, and see Ronnie Brown's potential destroyed, we'll be on our way to a run deep into the playoffs.

See, we don't NEED a game-breaker. We need guys who'll do what they're asked to do consistently; I, for one, think Welker can do that.

Thanks for stopping by.

My you Patsy fans have put together a mighty fine forum page...

Anyways, take Welker and don't worry about what Miami will do. You're overpaying by draft picks and by salary for a guy who'll 'do what they're asked to do consistently.' Does that quality justify a second rounder and a huge contract?

While Miami is rebuilding the right way (finally) we accept that we may not be a great team for a couple of years. Our previous coaches were boneheads that should have done what Cameron's doing now. And to say this guy 'isn't head-coaching material' is further proof how arrogant you fans are. You, like everyone else, have no clue if Cameron will be a good coach or not, but you use that as ammo to attack Dolfans? He coached the Chargers well enough to beat y'all in the playoffs last year, but luck saved your asses. By the way, your Pats would be nothing without a certain quarterback. If not for him, what good is your team? Oh, and your luck. Just embrace the 'now' because if you lose Brady to injury, you're going to be a very different club, and then Miami will constantly beat you twice a season instead of once.

Thanks for having me...

Last edited:
My you Patsy fans have put together a mighty fine forum page...

Anyways, take Welker and don't worry about what Miami will do. You're overpaying by draft picks and by salary for a guy who'll 'do what they're asked to do consistently.' Does that quality justify a second rounder and a huge contract?

While Miami is rebuilding the right way (finally) we accept that we may not be a great team for a couple of years. Our previous coaches were boneheads that should have done what Cameron's doing now. And to say this guy 'isn't head-coaching material' is further proof how arrogant you fans are. You, like everyone else, have no clue if Cameron will be a good coach or not, but you use that as ammo to attack Dolfans? He coached the Chargers well enough to beat y'all in the playoffs last year, but luck saved your asses. By the way, your Pats would be nothing without a certain quarterback. If not for him, what good is your team? Oh, and your luck. Just embrace the 'now' because if you lose Brady to injury, you're going to be a very different club, and then Miami will constantly beat you twice a season instead of once.

Thanks for having me...

Miami should be moved to the NFC and join the sub-500 conference. Your fins hurt the credibility of the AFC east and try to taint the Patriots dynasty by giving us easy wins. I think we should move the colts back in the AFC east and send the fins packin'. And I'm SURE you'll be back here when Wes Welker is the Patriots leading receiver right? Ofcourse you will.

But atleast you acknowledge Brady's greatness.

Remember when the Patriots beat the Dolphins 3x in one season? That was precious.

Its funny how your team can go 7-9 next season, still be below 500, and that would be an IMPROVEMENT on last season. Great franchise there.

While Miami is rebuilding the right way (finally) we accept that we may not be a great team for a couple of years. Our previous coaches were boneheads that should have done what Cameron's doing now. And to say this guy 'isn't head-coaching material' is further proof how arrogant you fans are. You, like everyone else, have no clue if Cameron will be a good coach or not, but you use that as ammo to attack Dolfans? He coached the Chargers well enough to beat y'all in the playoffs last year, but luck saved your asses. By the way, your Pats would be nothing without a certain quarterback. If not for him, what good is your team? Oh, and your luck. Just embrace the 'now' because if you lose Brady to injury, you're going to be a very different club, and then Miami will constantly beat you twice a season instead of once. Oh, if only you'd've picked up Brees instead of Culpepper.

Cameron couldn't win @ Indiana...what makes you think he'll win in the NFL?

I think pick #60 is worth the gamble; the contract is beside the point, unless you'd like to discusss the Dolphins cap situation.

I attack no one. You came here of your own accord, spouting crap. I give it back to you, w/ my regards.

Boy, good luck w/ Joey Porter to bolster your AARP defense, and you better hope that Cameron has a magic QB wand. I hear Carr may be available...

Last edited:
I'm not angry about any smack talking going on. I love it. It's good to see fans get into it with other fans, but come with some shots that make sense. First off, because Cam Cameron didn't win in Indiana means nothing toward his NFL career. No one wins at Indiana... it's not a good football program. And last time I checked the Pats, you have no WRs, so ...

'And I'm SURE you'll be back here when Wes Welker is the Patriots leading receiver right?'

... this will probably hold true, except for the fact I'll be revisiting this site again.

The Dolphins are rebuilding so they're cap is not something to brag about. This franchise will be better soon, but I'm not here saying it will be this season. I think a 7-9 season sounds about right, but the goal isn't short term.

And to say Miami supplies New England with easy wins is ridiculous. But, because you're all riding high with conceit, you'll never admit that the Fins always play the Pats tough and usually beats them every season.
If I can give kudos to other teams, why is it so hard for a Pats fan to speak honestly about the truth? I know Brady won't shortchange the Fins' defense when they're throwing him around like a ragdoll.

I'm not angry about any smack talking going on. I love it. It's good to see fans get into it with other fans, but come with some shots that make sense. First off, because Cam Cameron didn't win in Indiana means nothing toward his NFL career. No one wins at Indiana... it's not a good football program. And last time I checked the Pats, you have no WRs, so ...

'And I'm SURE you'll be back here when Wes Welker is the Patriots leading receiver right?'

... this will probably hold true, except for the fact I'll be revisiting this site again.

The Dolphins are rebuilding so they're cap is not something to brag about. This franchise will be better soon, but I'm not here saying it will be this season. I think a 7-9 season sounds about right, but the goal isn't short term.

And to say Miami supplies New England with easy wins is ridiculous. But, because you're all riding high with conceit, you'll never admit that the Fins always play the Pats tough and usually beats them every season.
If I can give kudos to other teams, why is it so hard for a Pats fan to speak honestly about the truth? I know Brady won't shortchange the Fins' defense when they're throwing him around like a ragdoll.

We just say what Brady would probably like to. :)

Welker may not be a game breaker, but I believe we will see him put up 26-28 yards per return on kick-offs.

That second half of that statement contradicts the first. Most years 26 puts you in the top 5 in the league and 28 puts you in the top 3.

Well Wes Welker looks like a mix of Troy Brown in his prime and Deion Branch. He has great return ability, he has some quicks, and he gets open. Plus he is only 26 years old and already a proven player. What's not to like when you're giving up a pick that's nearly a 3rd rounder?

Phins won't match because of the poison pill. Don't be bitter everyone in the league does it. The Jets did it to us when they stole Curtis Martin. What's a little player stealing in the AFC East? It's common practice that we poach off each others' rosters.

This time Welker just happens to fulfill a major Patriots need. :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye