PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does anyone count out BB drafting other than a CB or OLB in round 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I sure wouldn't bet on it

Since Watson and Thomas appear to be nothing more than average TEs who can't block well,I can see BB taking a shot at a TE early on (which he has been known to do)

With the fact that the OL struggles at times and if Brady makes it back BB might want to go for a big burly good looking OL at RT or RG to try and increase chances to keep Brady healthy this time all season - IF TB returns sometime in 2009

Not likely but maybe even looking at a RB to challenge Maroney should LoMo suck for another year and have his annual 'on the bench out for weeks' injury .

CB and LB are the obvious choices that NE goes in rd.1 but I would say its far from certain one of those 2 positions will be addressed early on.

I will say its going to be a shocker and it will be an OL as our first pick this year.

Reis says that they like Pettigrew the TE from Okey State, they could always go there..

But I would hope that they would not pass on any of the USC LBS if one or more of them is there at #23.

I also say that if Knowshon is there at #23, he might be too good, not to take.

Last edited:
If the Pats get two 1st round picks this year I could see them using one of those picks on an offensive player. Either one of the big 4 franchise LTs or Knowshown Moreno. Moreno features one of the best blends of speed and elusiveness I've seen in a while. His spin move is poetry in motion. If the Pats take a guy like Moreno in round one or Lesean McCoy in round 2, perhaps they could offer Maroney to the Chiefs for Tony Gonzalez? But I'm not sure if the Chiefs would bite. It would be a hell of a deal for us though.

If the Pats get two 1st round picks this year I could see them using one of those picks on an offensive player. Either one of the big 4 franchise LTs or Knowshown Moreno. Moreno features one of the best blends of speed and elusiveness I've seen in a while. His spin move is poetry in motion. If the Pats take a guy like Moreno in round one or Lesean McCoy in round 2, perhaps they could offer Maroney to the Chiefs for Tony Gonzalez? But I'm not sure if the Chiefs would bite. It would be a hell of a deal for us though.

Why would LeSean McCoy be an improvement over Maroney?

I've seen this kid play a lot. I don't see a good career for him in the NFL. In fact,t he runner he most reminds me of is, Laurence Maroney. LeSean likes to dance in the backfield a lot and never hits holes hard.

Chris Wells doesn't impress me either.

Moreno and Donald Brown are the two guys who will pan out, IMO< and Shonn Green reminds me a lot of Chester Taylor.

i think that because of the depth at LB in this years draft, i could easily see us taking a position other than LB in the first round and taking an LB in the second round.

that being said, i would think S, CB, or OL would be perfect fits, and we would take the most talented of those players. I fear we may take another TE, which wouldnt be the end of the world, I just dont want that.

Reis says that they like Pettigrew the TE from Okey State, they could always go there..

But I would hope that they would not pass on any of the USC LBS if one or more of them is there at #23.

I also say that if Knowshon is there at #23, he might be too good, not to take.

I think Reiss like Pettigrew, not the Pats (yet). Though I'm not sure if Reiss knows about any of his off the field issues.

I don't assume at all that the Pats will target a specific need at #23, especially with as many as 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. That seems like a "let the draft come to you situation," and a stud at any number of different positions could make an impact.

That said, you don't draft a position, you draft a player. By chance, LB & CB look likely to be stocked with the right value players at that point in the draft. Looking around...I don't love any of the TEs this year. The top OTs are likely to be off the board; of those who should be available, Beatty strikes me as too big a question mark that early and Britton a questionable fit for the Pats' scheme. I love the center/guards and like some of the safeties, but none leaps out as good value. 1st-round WRs give me the willies. Great value could be available at RB, but no thanks. Etc.

So at this early stage in the process, it ends up being a little tough to find options other than a CB or LB. A DE like Tyson Jackson or even Jarron Gilbert, maybe?

best player available will be taken

My first thought when I saw the thread title was that I would not be the least bit surprised if the Pats draft an OL with their first pick. It really depends on who is still available at that point.

My first thought when I saw the thread title was that I would not be the least bit surprised if the Pats draft an OL with their first pick. It really depends on who is still available at that point.

I agree,I myself think it will be whoever is the best OL when its the Pats turn to pick

It seems when there is a problem with an area that costs the Patriots the season,BB addresses it the next season in the draft or in FA

IMO The 2008 season was lost by a lack of protection to Brady thus I think BB looks for some better protection on the line

If the team picks up a vet OL then all bets are off but I think an OL addition will come in Aprils draft

Why would LeSean McCoy be an improvement over Maroney?

I've seen this kid play a lot. I don't see a good career for him in the NFL. In fact,t he runner he most reminds me of is, Laurence Maroney. LeSean likes to dance in the backfield a lot and never hits holes hard.

Chris Wells doesn't impress me either.

Moreno and Donald Brown are the two guys who will pan out, IMO< and Shonn Green reminds me a lot of Chester Taylor.

McCoy is a better back day one next year than Marphoney will ever be.. McCoy has great vision and is more than just a one cut runner.
He reminds me of a former pitt player.. C Martin.. but with more speed...

If I understand, you are asking whether Belichick is locked in on two positions two months before the draft, before the combine, before the pro days, before we see who is re-signed in free agency, before we see what other free agents we pick. The answer is "no". Lots can happen, but ILB, S, OG and TE are possible.

I sure wouldn't bet on it

Since Watson and Thomas appear to be nothing more than average TEs who can't block well,I can see BB taking a shot at a TE early on (which he has been known to do)

With the fact that the OL struggles at times and if Brady makes it back BB might want to go for a big burly good looking OL at RT or RG to try and increase chances to keep Brady healthy this time all season - IF TB returns sometime in 2009

Not likely but maybe even looking at a RB to challenge Maroney should LoMo suck for another year and have his annual 'on the bench out for weeks' injury .

CB and LB are the obvious choices that NE goes in rd.1 but I would say its far from certain one of those 2 positions will be addressed early on.

I will say its going to be a shocker and it will be an OL as our first pick this year.

IMO The 2008 season was lost by a lack of protection to Brady thus I think BB looks for some better protection on the line

Um, really? If you really think that, then I don't know what to say.

Brady getting hurt was a fluke. A player who had been succesfully blocked to the ground dove at the QBs legs.

I don't think theres a snowball's chance in hell that BB drafts a CB in the first or second.

Last edited:
Um, really? If you really think that, then I don't know what to say.

Brady getting hurt was a fluke. A player who had been succesfully blocked to the ground dove at the QBs legs.

I think theres a snowball's chance in hell that BB drafts a CB in the first or second.

I fixed your sentence for you :)

As for CBs in the first 2 rounds? - Well I GUARANTEE you that if CJ Moore is still around when NE comes up in the 2nd round,BB will grab him

I think Moore has some good upside for the pros

I don't assume at all that the Pats will target a specific need at #23, especially with as many as 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. That seems like a "let the draft come to you situation," and a stud at any number of different positions could make an impact.

That said, you don't draft a position, you draft a player. By chance, LB & CB look likely to be stocked with the right value players at that point in the draft. Looking around...I don't love any of the TEs this year. The top OTs are likely to be off the board; of those who should be available, Beatty strikes me as too big a question mark that early and Britton a questionable fit for the Pats' scheme. I love the center/guards and like some of the safeties, but none leaps out as good value. 1st-round WRs give me the willies. Great value could be available at RB, but no thanks. Etc.

So at this early stage in the process, it ends up being a little tough to find options other than a CB or LB. A DE like Tyson Jackson or even Jarron Gilbert, maybe?

Best post I have seen in a while! If I may, please let me add that we have Wheatley and Wilhite (CBs last year)and Crable and Guyton(LBs last year). BB isnt the type to take 1 year flyers on rookies and I think we can all agree its best to blend youth with experience. I think we have to first wait and see what FA brings(and takes away). Tyson Jackson is sure to be taken before our pick, but if Cassel nets us SF/DET(20) and he is there he would be my pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down