PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Doc Rivers agrees to five year extension with C's.

Having watched this Bulls series, I don't think size bothers the Heat as much as it did in the earlier parts of the regular season. That said, though, the Bulls don't have two seven footers in the frontcourt. They only have one. Dallas DOES have two seven footers. That said, Joel Anthony plays much bigger than his frame and is an aggressive defensive presence in the middle. I think he can hang with Tyson Chandler (who I expect the Heat to pursue in the offseason, after dumping Mike Miller and his salary). Dirk presents a much bigger problem in that he can post up on Bosh and is also a threat to shoot from the outside. I expect Bosh and LeBron to share the duties in guarding him. The Heat's defense will cause the Mavericks some problems too. Miami is the fastest team in the NBA and, in being that, they can double team Dirk and still get to Dallas' perimeter shooters to force a bad shot. We saw that time and time again in the Bulls series when two defenders would swamp Rose then force bad shots from Korver because they were fast enough to disrupt him.

As for OKC and Derrick Rose, I expect both to get better as time goes on. Rose went up against a buzz saw in the Heat's defense, but it was clear that he wasn't ready for the moment either. In another couple of years, and with a few personnel moves, he and the Bulls will be a very formidable foe. The Celtics, meanwhile, should focus on putting together some type of trade for Kevin Love. I would try to send Allen and Garnett over in some sort of trade package for him.
What's evident to me is how Miami has finally clicked as a team Kontra. There's defined roles within the structure that the players are definitely aware of. The emergence of Haslem has really been the catalyst and as painful as it is to type, LeBron has been outstanding this post-season.

I have to be honest and say I'm really looking forward to watching the Mavs-Heat re-match (even if I am rooting for Dirk).

As for the Celts. I don't share Doc's sentiment's that the team is a championship contender as constructed. There needs to be an almighty roster shake up in some sense of the manner. We've often floated the Love option, which I would love love ;).

Why would Minnesota make that deal?

I don't think a roster overhaul is necessary, though I don't know yet who is available among FAs. I'd like to see Garnett and Allen retire as Celtics.

I don't think a roster overhaul is necessary, though I don't know yet who is available among FAs. I'd like to see Garnett and Allen retire as Celtics.
Doc admitted that the team in it's current format wasn't good enough and needed to get younger and more athletic in the off-season. That means 3/4 of the side should be changed.

The Celtics are simply too old in a young man's game now. The Timberwolves wouldn't make that trade but it's nice to have a pipe dream.

Last edited:
Doc admitted that the team in it's current format wasn't good enough and needed to get younger and more athletic in the off-season. That means 3/4 of the side should be changed.

The Celtics are simply too old in a young man's game now. The Timberwolves wouldn't make that trade but it's nice to have a pipe dream.

I didn't say the team is good enough as is -- I questioned the "overhaul.". In other words, if the free agent pieces are there, we can still build from the 4 core players. I'd alsobe fine with some other players back, especially West and maybe Big Baby.

I didn't say the team is good enough as is -- I questioned the "overhaul.". In other words, if the free agent pieces are there, we can still build from the 4 core players. I'd alsobe fine with some other players back, especially West and maybe Big Baby.
Pierce, Garnett & Allen are simply too old to be linchpins in a long season with the level of basketball the younger and athletic sides are playing at in the playoffs. I have queries if the old soldiers can get up for another campaign of playoff intensity against the upper echelons of teams. It was evident with the Spurs too and I'm unsure of the free agent class in terms of quality and fit.

Of the bench players, I'd entertain West and Green. That's about it.

Last edited:
Pierce, Garnett & Allen are simply too old to be linchpins in a long season with the level of basketball the younger and athletic sides are playing at in the playoffs. I have queries if the old soldiers can get up for another campaign of playoff intensity against the upper echelons of teams. It was evident with the Spurs too and I'm unsure of the free agent class in terms of quality and fit.

Of the bench players, I'd entertain West and Green. That's about it.

I think it all depends on the help they have -- not just during the playoffs but during the season. If the pieces are out there to cultivate a deep team, and rest the big 3 (and rondo, for that matter) during the season, I have no doubt they'd have the intensity for another deep playoff run.

Are the pieces out there? Would the Celts cap position permit them to get the pieces? These are the questions I can't answer.

Because Love is going to walk eventually. They would look at that as an opportunity to get something in return for him.

As for OKC and Derrick Rose, I expect both to get better as time goes on. Rose went up against a buzz saw in the Heat's defense, but it was clear that he wasn't ready for the moment either. In another couple of years, and with a few personnel moves, he and the Bulls will be a very formidable foe. The Celtics, meanwhile, should focus on putting together some type of trade for Kevin Love. I would try to send Allen and Garnett over in some sort of trade package for him.

I think the Celts can - and will - give this core one more run at it. In a shortened season due to the impending lockout, there's no telling how far they could go in the playoffs. They have the unfortunate honor of being the best team at the midway point every year. That might be April this year, so who knows.

As for Rose - you do have to wonder about his mental makeup after what we've seen in that series, no matter how good the Heat's defense was. The Pistons D had success shutting Jordan down in his early years, but I don't think anyone questioned his mental strength because of it. Rose showed no mental fortitude. Missing key free throws, brain-freezing and going iso. He's not the MVP yet, that's for sure. I hate to say it, but Lebron is playing like the clear MVP right now.

Last edited:
Because Love is going to walk eventually. They would look at that as an opportunity to get something in return for him.

true, I just don't see them dealing him for older players unless they've reached the point where the older guys could conceivably push them to the level where they contend.

true, I just don't see them dealing him for older players unless they've reached the point where the older guys could conceivably push them to the level where they contend.

The Timberwolves aren't going to contend anytime soon. They could be very willing to pull off a trade in which they get two very good players who still have some years left in them and some draft picks (depending on how much Boston wants to give up).

The Timberwolves aren't going to contend anytime soon. They could be very willing to pull off a trade in which they get two very good players who still have some years left in them and some draft picks (depending on how much Boston wants to give up).

I agree re. them not contending. I just think they'd get destroyed in the press (and rightfully so, imo) for getting a couple guys who get paid a ton and likely only have a couple more years left, when that isn't likely to have any real impact on the team's performance (short-term or long-term). There will be much better offers out there, particularly given how limited the Celts would be in terms of high draft picks to offer (I think even the Clips' pick we got is protected).

I am glad that Doc received a new deal, but I worry about his antics and message falling on deaf ears in the locker room. I personally would have liked to see Danny Ainge at least talk with some other candidates for example Larry Brown, Keith Smart or Monty Williams. I think whenever Paul Pierce's time is done in Boston, Doc should be out as well. The two have seen the best and worst times of Celtics' basketball together. However, since Doc is in charge of the show for the next five years all Celtics' fans must get behind him.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back